Quality Of Officiating

dlm37015

Officiating is a very hard job, which most people would have a tough time enduring. On the other hand, I know that every is human and any can make a mistake, but their are a few officials (not all) that bring personal agendas to the field on Friday Nights. That problem could be with a Coach for some reason, The school itself, the Administration of a school, sometimes believe it or not even players. For these reasons if a person is officiating and he/she allows those things to affect a ballgame, then they need to find another profession. The match-ups are between the teams on the sidelines, not between the guys in stripes and personal battles with everyone else. :thumb:

Edited by feliznavidad

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the calls that bother me as much as the lack of accountability. I realize it is a tough job ( impossible to be perfect), I realize all officials are going to make mistakes. I also realize that 99% have no bias and truly want to do the best that they can (some do bring personal feelings onto the field). My only problem is with the evaluation process. I am more familiar with our basketball officials than football. But I know that there was not a supervisor at a single basketball game to evaluate the officials all of last year (our games only). I think this is rediculous. If an official chose to, and I realize 99% of the time they don't, the official could make any call he/she wanted to and determine the outcome of a game. Sending tape in to TSSAA is a waste of time.... There needs to be open communication between TSSAA, officials, and coaches. I just think the system could use a little tweaking. By the way this is not just a Tennessee problem, I have heard the same thing all of the country.

So what do you propose we do as far as "accountability"? Send a supervisor to EVERY game in EVERY sport??? Considering that most football associations have one or two supervisors, and upwards of 12-15 games on a given Friday night, that is impossible.

"Well, let's create more supervisors, then."

Yeah, that will work. Take 12-15 of the better officials in each association OFF the field and let them be supervisors every Friday night. And let's throw in 12-15 first-year guys that don't yet understand that encroachment is a DEAD BALL foul in high school and that there is no such thing as an uncatchable pass to take their place. Now the quality of officiating has dropped significantly, but hey, at least there's a supervisor there.

And let's talk about accountability. How do you enforce that? Dock an official's pay for every bad call he makes? Yeah, that will work. 95% would quit. Then you don't have football because you don't have officials. And the ones that will continue to work will be the bottom of the barrel. Or do you suspend an official for X number of games if he makes a bad call? That might work in the SEC and the NFL -- they have a LOT fewer games to cover and a LOT more officials to choose from. But in high school ball, you suspend a regular Friday night official or crew and bring in 5 guys with even LESS experience for the next week to take their place -- I'd say the quality of officiating is not improving.

Yes, there are a few officials that harbor ill will toward one or two particular teams. Most of the time, though, it is because they have had bad experiences while officiating games for that school in the past, whether it be verbal abuse by the fans, poor treatment from game administration, lack of crowd control or security, or having to travel two hours each way to get to the game site. But these officials make up a small minority of the ones that work every Friday night. Most are out there simply because they love staying around the game that they can't play anymore. And as for the comment that most USED to be professional men that knew the rules and didn't officiate strictly for the money -- well, they still are. The money is nice, but for the most part, officals don't do it just for the money. That said -- officials in Tennessee are some of the best-paid in the country.

If you people really think you know what football officials go through -- mainly dealing with fans like you -- sign up with TSSAA and officiate for a year or so. It's not as easy as it looks, and it will give you a whole new appreciation for what they do.

So what do you propose we do as far as "accountability"? Send a supervisor to EVERY game in EVERY sport??? Considering that most football associations have one or two supervisors, and upwards of 12-15 games on a given Friday night, that is impossible.

Yeah, that will work. Take 12-15 of the better officials in each association OFF the field and let them be supervisors every Friday night. And let's throw in 12-15 first-year guys that don't yet understand that encroachment is a DEAD BALL foul in high school and that there is no such thing as an uncatchable pass to take their place. Now the quality of officiating has dropped significantly, but hey, at least there's a supervisor there.

And let's talk about accountability. How do you enforce that? Dock an official's pay for every bad call he makes? Yeah, that will work. 95% would quit. Then you don't have football because you don't have officials. And the ones that will continue to work will be the bottom of the barrel. Or do you suspend an official for X number of games if he makes a bad call? That might work in the SEC and the NFL -- they have a LOT fewer games to cover and a LOT more officials to choose from. But in high school ball, you suspend a regular Friday night official or crew and bring in 5 guys with even LESS experience for the next week to take their place -- I'd say the quality of officiating is not improving.

Yes, there are a few officials that harbor ill will toward one or two particular teams. Most of the time, though, it is because they have had bad experiences while officiating games for that school in the past, whether it be verbal abuse by the fans, poor treatment from game administration, lack of crowd control or security, or having to travel two hours each way to get to the game site. But these officials make up a small minority of the ones that work every Friday night. Most are out there simply because they love staying around the game that they can't play anymore. And as for the comment that most USED to be professional men that knew the rules and didn't officiate strictly for the money -- well, they still are. The money is nice, but for the most part, officals don't do it just for the money. That said -- officials in Tennessee are some of the best-paid in the country.

If you people really think you know what football officials go through -- mainly dealing with fans like you -- sign up with TSSAA and officiate for a year or so. It's not as easy as it looks, and it will give you a whole new appreciation for what they do.

I agree with what you are saying but, if you have ever lost a game because of a "BAD CALL(S)" or lack there of, you would feel the same way these other folks feel! I understand that officials are going to miss calls from time to time. But being flag happy is a completely different animal! I think the players should decide who wins the game.........not the officials!

I think that some officials throw a lot of flags to feel like they are doing there job. I would rather see a "NO CALL" before I would like to see a "BAD CALL"!!!!!!!

bigwes68, You know of what you speak. I do feel, as I am sure that you do, there is room for improvement. Someone earlier brought up what I think might be a good idea. If schools would make an extra copy of the Friday night tape and get it to the crew it would be a good training tool. I realize that some officials would not use it, but the ones that want to improve would have it at their disposal and be able to look at it and hopefully see some of the mistakes they are making.

This is my 11th season watching football in Tennessee. For 3 years I have not had a son on the field so I am much less biased than before. I recently commented that I have seen better officiating this year than ever before. Maybe(hopefully) it is getting better because for the other 10 years it was horrible!

I've saw some pretty bad officiating this year.

Last week, I saw a player from each team call for a fair catch, catch the ball and run and not get blown for a fair catch. Each return resulted in more yardage because the punting team froze.

In college/pro you see so many illegal blocks on special teams plays, and you see the illegal blocks in HS football, but rarely called because I think the officials can't keep up with the action.

ECO's struggle to pay attention as well.

My favorites this year however are:

1) A holding penalty called on 1st down, penalty accepted and the down was then changed to 2nd.

2) The officials inadvertently hosed one team on a down. 1st down, 2nd down to 4th down.

3) My favorite of the year.....Ball is marked at the 37 yardline after a run, then a skirmish ensued and both teams got a 15-yarder unsportsmanlike. Instead of saying they offset, they marked the yards off. Now, here's where they really flubbed up. The official marking off the yards (for whatever reason they marked it off) makred it towards the goal to the 17 (ie: 20 yards) for the defensive penalty.....then back to the 32 for the offensive penalty (ie: 15 yards). This set up a 4th and short which was converted.

I've saw one very well officiated ballgame, and that's because the supervisor was in attendance, jmo.

Don't get so defensive. I did not bash officiating, I just think there are some needed changes. I never suggested a supervisor at every game, but they should see every team play at least once. Why not do like the SEC and other conferences and allow coaches to send in film on plays they thought were to be reviewed every week, or every other week, so that officials can get better. High school officiating is one of the only jobs I have ever had (yes I called high school ball in Georgia, by the way they have the same problems) Where I did not have to answer for my actions at work. As far as officials quitting because they are held accountable, that is a joke. The guys that would quit are the bad officials. The good officials want to get better and want to work to make the correct calls, therefore, they will not have a problem with advice from a supervisor or getting together to watch last weeks film on Wed. evening. Who cares if the bad ones quit. Evbentually you will get more officials taking pride in what they do and striving to do better. I understand how hard it is to call a game, I know noone is perfect, I just think the system could be better.

Bad calls are ten times worse than no calls! "No calls" do not ultimately decide the outcome of a game. I have seen plenty of "bad calls" this season which changed the outcome of several games. The athletes should decide who wins each game, not the officials!

A no call could be potentially as bad as a bad call. What about an obvious offensive pass interference in the end zone as a no call or a blocker tackles the cornerback on a touchdown run (both hypothetical, Im not venting anything) those no calls could change the outcome of the game.

A no call could be potentially as bad as a bad call. What about an obvious offensive pass interference in the end zone as a no call or a blocker tackles the cornerback on a touchdown run (both hypothetical, Im not venting anything) those no calls could change the outcome of the game.

I am not saying "no calls" are good. I am saying "no calls" are better than "bad calls"!