Quality Of Officiating

dlm37015

I would have to say that I have been to several games this year and the officiating has not been as good as in years past. Especially when a touchdown is denied by the defense on the 1 yardline and BOTH line judges rule it down at the 1 but another official who wasn't even lined up on the line of scrimmage or the goalline overrules and says it is a touchdown. By the way it was fourth down and goal on that play.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity...... If an official has a history of making bad calls against a certain team does that team have a right to request a different official? There is one certain official that always (and I am not exaggerating here) goes flag happy when officiating our school, and I don't care if it is football or basketball. Some of his calls are so obviously biased it amazes me that he still has a job. The other night an opposing player took a good 6 strides and put a "big time" hit to the back of one of our players a good 4 or 5 seconds after the play was over. Our player was obviously upset and jumped to his feet and just started toward the other player and the official in question called our player for a personal foul. On another instance an opposing player had taken our defensive end to the ground and was holding him there.....BY THE THROAT. Our player finally had to smack his hand away from his throat because he was choking him and was not going to let him up, and you guessed it, he was the one called for the personal foul. There was two other instances where there should have at least been offsetting penalties but both times our players were called with a personal foul. However, he personally, never made one call against the opposing team all night. It is the same story with this official in basketball.

As for the no-calls......... I was at a game and the punt returner ran out of bounds with the ball. He was a good 4 or 5 steps past the sidelines and had already stopped running, when the defendeder put one of those bone crushing hits on him. After a "no-call" I asked the official who was standing right there why he didn't see it. His reply caused my jaw to drop..... and I quote.. "Yes, I saw it, but you see, I am the official and it was such a good hit I just couldn't call that one, so live with it" He laughed and walked off.

I know refs and other officials are not perfect and can make mistakes, but when you have an official who isn't doing his job, there has to be some sort of recourse. If I were an official I would be one of the first to report these types as they are why the decent officials get such a bad rep. I don't think you will have very many to quit that were worth keeping in the first place, and then maybe the hatred toward the officials will die down so you can hire better people to replace the ones that quit.

I know that there are a lot of people who think every call against their team is a bad call and the true complaints often get shuffled in among the cronic complainers. I would suggest that if a teams administration, (not the fans from the sidelines mind you) were to send in some of these tapes and the TSSAA start reviewing them and start handing out warnings to begin with and then more severe penalties, even possible dismissal if it continues, we would see a lot better officiating. You know sorta like the message you get when you call a business for help....."This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes. Thank You." I know you can't just up and reprimand somebody because a fan complained, but you can't keep letting things go unchecked or it will only get worse. I would be willing to say that a lot of the problems would go away if these officials knew they could be reported and the TSSAA were going to take the complaints a little more seriously.

For all you officiating experts there is plenty of time to register for next season.Contact the TSSAA @ tssaa.org

There's a reason most of us don't want the job. Unlike alot of officials we REALIZE we CANT do it. I have seen the worst officiating this year in Collinwood. After the home games I go and look at the tag on the refs cars and when we get the screws its a Maury County tag.

It would be a safe bet that Collinwood has over 500 yards in penalties. The teams we play seem to get the no-calls.

Collinwood played MT. Pleasant and MP had 2 offensive penalties. False start and an Offensive Interference call. They ran the ball 47 times with-out a single HOLD or any other blocking violations :rolleyes: . MP had 3 defensive penalties. Collinwood was penalized 9 times for 98 yards. * were offensive "HOLDING" calls. CHS ran the ball 21 times.

We have endured that kind of rediculous officiating in every game.

Any one who honestly believes that high school refs dont try to manipulate games should call thier local real estate agent and ask for some "Ocean front property" in Maury County, Tennessee.

Edited by GreenMan

And the QB sneak on third down was obviously in for a TD but they didn't call it. And don't forget the phantom holding call that nullified the other TD.

Quit crying. The game is over and SP lost again.

I don't think anyone was crying. I don't cry over a BALLGAME. I was just pointing out a missed call. There were other missed calls in that game as well. I have seen sub par officiating all year. Practically every game I have seen. By the way for both sides.

I would have to say that I have been to several games this year and the officiating has not been as good as in years past. Especially when a touchdown is denied by the defense on the 1 yardline and BOTH line judges rule it down at the 1 but another official who wasn't even lined up on the line of scrimmage or the goalline overrules and says it is a touchdown. By the way it was fourth down and goal on that play.

Would that have been the Marion County game? the guy who made the touchdown call gradyated from Marion in 1990. Just thought you'd like to know.

What most people don't understand is that ref's put more time into a game than the average so called fan that just pays there $ 5.00 and complains about what the coach is calling or every call that goes the other way. What do they do when the other teams get flagged. You never hear them fussing then. Most ref's know the coaches.. The ones that have been in the game for a while and they talk during the games. Watch this or watch that the coachs say and the ref's try and watch that area. I don't believe that ref's make phantom calls. It's alot harder that just getting a coke and popcorn and gripping all night.. Put on the stripes on any Friday night and be a real part of the game and maybe you will enjoy the Football game alot more.

I have seen plenty of coaches talk their way into getting something called. That is not right either. You and I both know you could make a call of some kind on every play. I don't like it when one team gets called for 2-3 penalties in a game and the other gets 10-12 or more. These are the games that seem to get everyones blood boiling.

Riverdale[/url]06' post='825799590' date='Oct 27 2005 - 02:17 PM']

i see yall puttin 75 dollars and yall would take abuse from mike tyson every night... are yall serious??? 75 dollars is not that much money..it better be like a half a million dollars or sumthing...

I was being facetious!

Before you look that up in the dictionary, let me add that it's pronounced fa-see-shus, and it is a unique word with all of the vowels in order.

Truth is, I wouldn't want abuse from Mike Tyson, OR a hometown crowd for $75 per week!

:lol::lol: See, I'm winking and laughing!

JMO, but the officiating for all sports in Tennessee continues to get worse rather than better. In the 1950's, 60's & 70's you often had professional men (physicians, businessmen, attorney's, etc...) that had played at the college and professional level officiating games because they loved the game. These men had not only played sports at a high level but they were also well educated and brought with them a great deal of respect from the fans, coaches and players. What I see today is officials that never played in college (some never played in high school) and they call a JV game on Monday, Freshmen game on Thursday, Varsity game on Friday, and the Pee Wee games all day Saturday. These people are making their living officiating amateur sports. This would be great if they really understood the sport and were well trained but most of the time they have never been to any camps/clinics other than what the TSSAA requires and their mechanics are terrible because they learned from other bad officials. The TSSAA needs to do a better job of attracting the type of officials that they once had and then train them in the proper mechanics of officiating.

The majority of the TSSAA football officials are the same ones that have been calling for years.