State Tournament Contest

TheGreatLineJudge

You know we have to have a contest! Who here REALLY knows their volleyball? One way to find out!

Pick pool seedings, quarterfinal, semi-final, and final match winners.

Pool Seedings

Just name the Pool A and Pool B final seeds. Win/loss records are not relevant.

1 point each

Example:

1. Team A

2. Team B

3. Team C

4. Team D

If B and C were flipped, you get 1 point each for A and D (2 points)

Quarters, Semis, and Finals

Pick the 4 remaining teams that advance to the semi-finals. 2 points each.

Pick the two remaining teams that advance to the state finals. 3 points each.

Pick the state champ. 5 points each.

27 points available in each class

For added kicks...

-Pick a pool play match in each category. Predict how many games it will take (and of course, who wins) to end it. 3 points each.

-Pick a team and predict the spread in their biggest game win and biggest game loss. Only one team in the entire tournament, not one per class.

Example: Team A wins a game (not match) on Day 1 25-14 (+11). Team A loses a game on Day 2 25-12 (-13). Spread: 24.

Come within 3 points of your prediction and it's +10 to your score.

100 points total possible. Winner gets a bumper sticker, in the mail, from me:

"'Play the odds and eat Moon Pie.' 2005 CoachT.com Virtuoso of Volleyball" (Quote courtesy of ComPassion via a post on Sunday.)

Email or PM your predictions. Deadline is Tuesday, 11:59 pm. Enjoy!

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bold pick there Judge with BGA over GPS and I'm not laughing. In fact, it's one I considered myself. With BGA winning the Middle Region with wins over Harpeth Hall and Father Ryan, they could be a real contender here. If they do win, BGA Coach Tracey Berry should buy you a steak dinner or maybe just a lb. of cheddar brats.

Here are my picks for the record:

A-AA Pool 1: East Ridge, Knoxville Catholic, Loretto, USJ

A-AA Pool 2: Notre Dame, Goodpasture, Anderson Co., Crockett Co.

AAA Pool 1: Siegel, Franklin, Collierville, Sullivan South

AAA Pool 2: Brentwood, Germantown, Red Bank, Farragut

Div. II Pool 1: GPS, Harpeth Hall, Father Ryan, St. Benedict

Div. II Pool 2: BGA, Harding Academy, Hutchison, Baylor

Final Four:

A-AA: East Ridge, Notre Dame, Knoxville Catholic, Anderson Co.

AAA: Brentwood, Siegel, Collierville, Germantown

Div. II: GPS, Harding Academy, BGA, Father Ryan

Semi-Finalists:

A-AA: East Ridge and Knoxville Catholic

AAA: Brentwood and Germantown

Div. II: GPS and BGA

Champions: East Ridge, Brentwood, GPS

Bonus Picks:

A-AA: East Ridge 3, USJ 1

AAA: Brentwood 3, Farragut 0

Div. II: GPS 3, St. Benedict 0

Point Spread: Loretto - 22

Speaking of Loretto, they could be one of the dark horses in the tournament as I doubt many people have seen them this season since they play most, if not all, of their weekend tournaments in Alabama. I might should have picked them higher, but since this is their 1st state appearance, nerves may be the problem - I could be wrong however.

Can't make overall predictions because I haven't seen enough of the teams. But I will pick one, Knox Catholic in A-AA. They did not have Karen Wolf in their close losses to Farragut and Webb. In the two relatively close losses to GPS Karen had just returned and was full of rust and without stamina. Those two issues have been corrected.

Good point, patsfan123. BGA had a similiar circumstance with their middle Caitlin Graham. She had a shoulder injury early in the season and played libero. Now she had returned fully to play middle again and it's really made a difference in their play.

Edited by PageMan

Pageman-

Just an observation of your picks. If Anderson Co. finishes 3rd pool play and Knoxville Catholic is 2nd in their side, then wouldn't the 2 meet in the first round of the brackets. If that is the case, then how could you put both of them in your final four? Just looking at your predictions. You know your stuff. I will be there cheering for the West Tenn. underdogs (Crockett Co.). There was an article in the Jackson Sun on them this morning. Although the Coacht front page links chose not to have it. It is:

http://www.thejacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../510260312/1006

Good luck CAVS!

Edited by cavcav

I am 18-5 predicting the first day's matches. Don't have a result yet for Hutchison v Harding.

Matches I missed;

1,2. Picking Father Ryan against St. Benedict and again against Harpeth Hall

3,4. Franklin beat Sullivan South and Lost to Collierville (I missed both)

5. Notre Dame lost to Anderson Co. (wishfull thinking from a fellow Chattanoogan)

I hit the spread dead on 13 for GPS.

The pool play match bonus: So far 2 for 2 (GPS over St. Benedict in 3) (Siegel over Collierville in 3)

I can taste the moon pies already.

I am 18-5 predicting the first day's matches. Don't have a result yet for Hutchison v Harding.

Matches I missed;

1,2. Picking Father Ryan against St. Benedict and again against Harpeth Hall

3,4. Franklin beat Sullivan South and Lost to Collierville (I missed both)

5. Notre Dame lost to Anderson Co. (wishfull thinking from a fellow Chattanoogan)

I hit the spread dead on 13 for GPS.

The pool play match bonus: So far 2 for 2 (GPS over St. Benedict in 3) (Siegel over Collierville in 3)

I can taste the moon pies already.

BE, don't you need to go to bed!!

You are correct cavcav, I actually didn't do a match by match breakdown when I made my picks so some of the teams I picked for the semi-finals will probably have been eliminated earlier in head to head matches. I don't really do well in predicting things and should have spent more time doing it. I'm mainly just an observer and not a predictor. Sorry for the miscue.

I really didn't want the moon pies anyway

Edited by PageMan

Announcements