Oliver Springs @ Cumberland Gap

The Sports Guy

Basically what I was saying is that history suggest that most years Region 1-AA is a somewhat weak region and harping on a overall weak 9 game winning streak is a bad argument. I'm not saying that O.S. will beat the brakes off of Cumberland Gap but I think it be a great game and someone, I think the Bobcats, will win by a slim margin that will come down to the last minutes of the game. I just don't see them getting beat 42-14 like some have posted.

Edited by BobbyBoucher

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I again think it's crazy to say that OS has peaked. I don't think they'll beat Cumberland Gap on Friday, but it has nothing to do with peaking early. If you reversed Oliver Springs' schedule, starting with Wartburg and ending with G-P, they would still go between 4-6 and 6-4. I wouldn't necessarily give them the Coalfield win again (or not by as much) and Rockwood was playing really well at the end of the season, but they'd beat Scott and G-P by more if they played again.

I think if you rank Oliver Springs' opponents it would go 1. Alcoa, 2. Loudon, 3. Kingston, 4. CAK, 5. Coalfield, 6. Rockwood, 7. Scott, 8. Sweetwater, 9. Gatlinburg-Pittman, and 10. Wartburg.

I think what will hurt OS on Friday is their secondary. CAK really picked them apart and I'm afraid that the Panthers will score some points if they don't play much better.

Edited by goosevol

History is History u gotta look in the FUTURE.....even though region 1 is a little weak this season that dont mean that a UPSET can happen......upsets happen all the time...look at sat. night for instense tennessee was supposed to run all over south carolina but did they...NO.....and u cant always look at stats either....one team might be playin a weak team and put up BIG numbers and another team might be playing the best team in the state and put no numbers in the state book....u cant always go by that u gotta go by the heart of the players.....whoever comes and a plays to win is likely to win the game...thats all im saying about that....CG takes it in a close game but pulls away late

CG-48

OS-27

Coalman earlier said:

"The Haynes kid is a tough runner. The Alcoa defense punished him and absolutely beat him half to death but he just kept getting back up and running hard."

In that game, Haynes carried the ball 35 times for 140 yards. There's not many people in high school football that could survive that many carries against Alcoa. He currently has about 290 carries on the season for roughly 1,650 yards.

Edited by goosevol

After watching both teams play this year I think we are in for a good ballgame up at the GAP friday night. Oliver Springs is a classic running football team (ISO's, leads, counter's, traps, etc.) and a tough defense that has two good middle LB's (I believe they are twins, literally). Cumberland Gap's offense is a spread 'em and pick you apart, but they do it with a good running game that complements the pass extremely well. Their defense is sound but sometimes it takes them a few series to run on all cylinders.

This will be a close ball game early, with O.S. putting up a few TD's early but their defense is also going to give up some big plays to C. Gap. Second half belongs to the Gap defense.

Cumberland Gap - 32

Oliver Springs - 14

History is History u gotta look in the FUTURE.....even though region 1 is a little weak this season that dont mean that a UPSET can happen......upsets happen all the time...look at sat. night for instense tennessee was supposed to run all over south carolina but did they...NO.....and u cant always look at stats either....one team might be playin a weak team and put up BIG numbers and another team might be playing the best team in the state and put no numbers in the state book....u cant always go by that u gotta go by the heart of the players.....whoever comes and a plays to win is likely to win the game...thats all im saying about that....CG takes it in a close game but pulls away late

CG-48

OS-27

You're right, come Friday you can throw it all out the window. Everybody wanted to talk about 9 game winning streak though, and I just wanted to show that those nine games weren't as impressive as they appeared. Whoever wants it the most will come away with it.

My thoughts on History!

I can remember back over 50 years, and I don't remember any of todays kids having been there.

Some of them were there 3 years ago, and many were there last season.

This is NOW.

As a general rule, region 2 owns region 1 in 2a. When Cloudland was in 2a ,they could compete with the botton playoff teams. But just like this year,region 2 usually has a monster at the top. People may not believe it but Region 1 has three pretty good teams this season. They will compete pretty well. They could still get swept, but they will definately be in some ballgames. There will be more respect Saturday morning.

As a general rule, region 2 owns region 1 in 2a. When Cloudland was in 2a ,they could compete with the botton playoff teams. But just like this year,region 2 usually has a monster at the top. People may not believe it but Region 1 has three pretty good teams this season. They will compete pretty well. They could still get swept, but they will definately be in some ballgames. There will be more respect Saturday morning.

That's a good point pujo. Region 2 will be the favorite in everybody's eyes until somebody knocks them off. That's one thing about CG this year though, anytime that they have been challenged, these kids have stepped up. I don't expect anything less on Friday. Everyone's right about region 1 vs. region 2. I think some things may change a little bit on Friday though!!! Panther Pride!!!

CG-42

OS-14

I've watched the Panthers for 3 years now. This crop of seniors is the final step toward true consolidation.

Traditions are first built one day at a time, then one game at a time, then one season at a time.

I am looking forward to a day when everyone in East Tennesse will say the same wonderful things about Cumberland Gap, that they now say about Alcoa.

This season has been a jump start toward that goal. The past is history, and the future looks bright, one game at a time.

The fans are ready, and I believe the team is ready too.

CG - 28

OS - 14

Edited by The Sports Guy