Christian Brothers vs. MUS

WesVLT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

First, congratulations to Brentwood Academy and Baylor. Both teams fought mightily in the semifinals, but neither team could sway the game in its favor. Both games will go down as some of the most exciting playoff football played in the state this year. It will be the first time since 1999 that Brentwood Academy has not been in the Clinic Bowl, and only the second time in the history of the Super Seven.

Now, on to the championship game -- "A Rivalry Relocated." Christian Brothers and MUS are only a few minutes apart, but they'll both make the three-hour trek to Murfreesboro this weekend to decide the 9th Super Seven Championship. Christian Brothers eeked out the first meeting between the schools, 14-10, but now must contend with an Owls squad looking to defend last year's 35-14 title romp against Brentwood Academy.

The teams know each other intimately, not only on the playing field, but also in the community. They've topped the football charts in Memphis for years, but this weekend marks the first time they've squared off in a state championship against each other. Since the Super Seven's initiation, each team has appeared in the state title game once. MUS won last year, and Christian Brothers subjected itself to a massacre in 1999 at the hands of nationally-ranked MBA.

Memphis University School leads the all-time series against Christian Brothers, 14-11. Since 1990, MUS leads the series against CBHS, 11-5. Since the advent of the Super Seven, the Owls lead, 6-3. The Brothers have won two of the last three matchups. Here's the series's recent history:

1990: MUS 13, CBHS 10

1991: MUS 45, CBHS 15

1992: MUS 21, CBHS 7

1993: MUS 17, CBHS 9

1994: CBHS 18, MUS 15

1995: CBHS 21, MUS 7

1996: MUS 21, CBHS 17

1997: MUS 24, CBHS 6

1998: MUS 46, CBHS 19

1999: CBHS 30, MUS 6

2000: MUS 14, CBHS 10

2001: MUS 10, CBHS 0

2002: MUS 28, CBHS 27

2003: CBHS 38, MUS 7

2004: MUS 10, CBHS 3

2005: CBHS 14, MUS 10

11 of the teams' 16 games since 1990 have been decided by 14 points or less.

Will this game continue the series's tradition of close classics? Can MUS exact revenge for its narrow defeat earlier in the season? Can Christian Brothers win its first state title since 1977? Can MUS defend last year's state championship?

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that CBHS established itself as a complete team with John Micheal Skinner directing a better passing offense going 10-14 with 114 yards. Still, i don't think the combined score of the game will top 20 because of each teams' great defense. I really can't make a prediction because of how close these teams are. I do hope that the brothers finish a great season with the state title. It should be a great game.

TIDE ROLL!!!

MUS and Christian Brothers in the State Title game is going to be awesome!!!!!

These two great programs have a long history of excellence and rivalry in the city of Memphis. MUS might be considered the stronger team by most, but CBHS certainly cannot be counted out!!!

CBHS is very similar to MUS in their State Title campaign last year. These seniors are coming off a disappointing Junior year and have a great hunger and spirit for a title win. I believe this takes care of any gap between the two. This will be a game that is really too close to call. If both teams execute and keep the mistakes to a minimum, it will be a game that Memphis fans will not want to miss!!!

The sad thing about CBHS & MUS playing for a state championship is that they have to travel 4.5 hours to play each other. It would be great if the game could be played in Memphis where it would draw a big crowd. This game could probably draw 15,000 fans in Memphis.

Edited by cbg

The sad thing about CBHS & MUS playing for a state championship is that they have to travel 4.5 hours to play each other. It would be great if the game could be played in Memphis where it would draw a big crowd. This game could probably draw 15,000 fans in Memphis.

Yes, this is true but there will still be a considerable crowd at MTSU.

MUS for the win!

nothing against MUS, but i got to go with my boys chris walker and gilbert johnson on this one, CBHS-13 MUS-7.

While they are both very explosive players, Chris Mosby will be a force to be reckoned with. If the owls slow down Mosby, i.e. not allow him to make another 15 tackles (i think it was) then MUS will be a much more efficent on offense. I personally believe that Mosby is the fuel of their defense, if you slow him down, you almost certainly slow down CBHS' defense.

As for attendance, MUS brought a bigger crowd than BA did last year, and we played in BA's own backyard. So I think that attendance will still be very high, it is a CBHS-MUS matchup after all.

While they are both very explosive players, Chris Mosby will be a force to be reckoned with. If the owls slow down Mosby, i.e. not allow him to make another 15 tackles (i think it was) then MUS will be a much more efficent on offense. I personally believe that Mosby is the fuel of their defense, if you slow him down, you almost certainly slow down CBHS' defense.

As for attendance, MUS brought a bigger crowd than BA did last year, and we played in BA's own backyard. So I think that attendance will still be very high, it is a CBHS-MUS matchup after all.

Chris Mosby is a good player but if you focus on him then Chris Walker will not be focused on much. MUS needs to play their game, their offense can move the ball on anyone. They just need to make sure that they blitz, because last game one of the main reasons MUS lost was because they were too passive on the last drive. If they blitz that will put the pressure on Skynard. However, both teams are very good and it will be an exciting game.