CENTRAL BOBCATS @ MARYVILLE REBELS

They weren't evenly matched during the first game- offensively. I believe that with the improvement of Central on that side of the ball that it is now more evenly matched.

As far as the mistakes I was talking about- Maryville scored first on Tank's 50 yard (or so) run. The mistake was that Central's end lost the contain. The 2nd score was on a long pass (I think) and the mistake was the DB. The point I was trying to make was that neither side drove the ball real well all night (except the Maryville drive that ended in the interception runback) due to the defenses of both schools. I think that we will see more of the same in a very close game.

Can't agree there my friend. The teams are not “Evenly matched”.

Maryville controlled the Ball in time of procession 30:00 to 18:00 for central.

Maryville had 305 yards of Offence and Central 199 and never made it across the 50 yard line till the 3rd qtr. Central was 3 of 10 on 3rd down conversions and punted 5 times. Maryville was 5 or 11 and only punted 3 times. Central who rushed the ball for 115 yards only averaged 3.8 yds per carry where Maryville with its 170 yards on the ground averaged 4.3. In Passing Central completed only 43% where Maryville's two QB's combined for about 67% at 84 vs. 135 Yards respectively. Maryville hurt themselves with two turnovers and central capitalized on them during the same play; there fore they did not have to run an offensive play to score. Central had a few more penalties than did Maryville. The two turnovers that hurt Maryville were not forced turnovers. Just a bad pass and a dropped ball, not one of them were great defensive plays. Given the bad gift pass by Helton to end the game was just that, a gift and I don't expect him to make those kinds of mistakes. Central may have a kid who UT thinks is the real deal but Maryville has the kid who kicked a 48 yarder, with room to spare, in the 4th qtr, under pressure to seal the game.

So if you call that evenly matched, you and I have different view points. I don’t think Maryville’s Offence played very well but I bet they get on track tonight.

If Maryville comes to play Central gets beat. If Maryville turns the ball over 5-6 times, and they could, Central might win. But I bet Maryville takes care of the pumpkin better in this one. Bring your long handles, its going to be cold! Go Reb’s

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't agree there my friend. The teams are not “Evenly matched”.

Maryville controlled the Ball in time of procession 30:00 to 18:00 for central.

Maryville had 305 yards of Offence and Central 199 and never made it across the 50 yard line till the 3rd qtr. Central was 3 of 10 on 3rd down conversions and punted 5 times. Maryville was 5 or 11 and only punted 3 times. Central who rushed the ball for 115 yards only averaged 3.8 yds per carry where Maryville with its 170 yards on the ground averaged 4.3. In Passing Central completed only 43% where Maryville's two QB's combined for about 67% at 84 vs. 135 Yards respectively. Maryville hurt themselves with two turnovers and central capitalized on them during the same play; there fore they did not have to run an offensive play to score. Central had a few more penalties than did Maryville. The two turnovers that hurt Maryville were not forced turnovers. Just a bad pass and a dropped ball, not one of them were great defensive plays. Given the bad gift pass by Helton to end the game was just that, a gift and I don't expect him to make those kinds of mistakes. Central may have a kid who UT thinks is the real deal but Maryville has the kid who kicked a 48 yarder, with room to spare, in the 4th qtr, under pressure to seal the game.

So if you call that evenly matched, you and I have different view points. I don’t think Maryville’s Offence played very well but I bet they get on track tonight.

If Maryville comes to play Central gets beat. If Maryville turns the ball over 5-6 times, and they could, Central might win. But I bet Maryville takes care of the pumpkin better in this one. Bring your long handles, its going to be cold! Go Reb’s

FBE,

I respect the posts that you put on here- usually well thought out and stated. But I think the excitement of the upcoming game has hindered your reading a little. My posts said that the teams were not evenly matched during the first game. The game you were giving stats for, Central's offense was not on par with Maryville's. They have improved since then and I think we'll see a better performance from Central's O. And I know that we could sit here all day and debate the Bad Offense vs. Good Defense issue, but it doesn't really matter. The fact is that 2 teams tonight will meet- both with very good defenses and both with athletes on offense capable of opening the game up at anytime. Good luck and I hope the winner takes it all.

They weren't evenly matched during the first game- offensively. I believe that with the improvement of Central on that side of the ball that it is now more evenly matched.

As far as the mistakes I was talking about- Maryville scored first on Tank's 50 yard (or so) run. The mistake was that Central's end lost the contain. The 2nd score was on a long pass (I think) and the mistake was the DB. The point I was trying to make was that neither side drove the ball real well all night (except the Maryville drive that ended in the interception runback) due to the defenses of both schools. I think that we will see more of the same in a very close game.

Hey Cleveland, you know what makes up for mistakes by one person on deffense?

People flying to the football and 11 people there to make the hit.

You dont think one person on maryvilles deffesne has screwed up?

The one thing that saves the play is other poeple there as well. Its a thing called team work. It is a team effort not just one or two people screwing up that lost you guys the ball game.

The one thing that saves the play is other poeple there as well. Its a thing called team work. It is a team effort not just one or two people screwing up that lost you guys the ball game.

well said rebelman i wasnt able to watch the last game but i caught a few clips of it on tv and maryvilles offense did struggle but centrals offense had no hope in the first half....maryvilles defense always have people flying to the ball and there are at least 9 jerseys at every tackle if they arent in on it there right in the back pocket maryville has team work ehy dont have and I in their vocabulary as a team thats what wins championships maybe central will learn something tonight and can correct it for next year

16- you need to read all the posts associated with this one before responding. You got in on the middle of a discussion and don't understand what the point being made was.

As far as your post goes, you say that when one person makes a mistake there are still 11 people there to make a hit. 12 men on the field- I knew that Maryville's defense was awfully good in the first game. (Just kidding) Good luck tonight and stay safe.

16- you need to read all the posts associated with this one before responding. You got in on the middle of a discussion and don't understand what the point being made was.

As far as your post goes, you say that when one person makes a mistake there are still 11 people there to make a hit. 12 men on the field- I knew that Maryville's defense was awfully good in the first game. (Just kidding) Good luck tonight and stay safe.

That the thing about maryville the guy that screws up is so determend to make the play he will jump back up and make it. You make up for getting blocked by not staying blocked.

Good luck to both teams tonight. Hope to see you all after the game. :thumb:

Edited by rebelman16

It will be a classic, I dont know if Central has much of a chance if Helton is not up to par or better! He is the heart and soul of that team and they need him to step up and lead them to victory.... I was watching the game of TV during the regular season, and contrary to what all you maryville fans want to think, if Helton makes a good throw at the end of the game, you boys have 1 loss under your belt and dont even try to say that they wernt going to score bc I think it was Kevin Dyer who was wide open on the cross rounte the ball just slipped out of his hand, he couldnt of purposly made such a bad throw, I have grown up with Zack and know him pretty well and I know he is gonna want this, unfortunatly this is Maryville's game to lose, I think it will be legendary and will come down to a field goal like always!!

It will be a classic, I dont know if Central has much of a chance if Helton is not up to par or better! He is the heart and soul of that team and they need him to step up and lead them to victory.... I was watching the game of TV during the regular season, and contrary to what all you maryville fans want to think, if Helton makes a good throw at the end of the game, you boys have 1 loss under your belt and dont even try to say that they wernt going to score bc I think it was Kevin Dyer who was wide open on the cross rounte the ball just slipped out of his hand, he couldnt of purposly made such a bad throw, I have grown up with Zack and know him pretty well and I know he is gonna want this, unfortunatly this is Maryville's game to lose, I think it will be legendary and will come down to a field goal like always!!

You are probably right about that throw. However if we don't turn the ball over they are not in that position to begin with. And one turnover that hurt us the most, that not many people have talked about was after their first score on the fumble return we drive it down to the two yard line and fumble it back to them. Otherwise it is 21-7 at that point. My point is if you are going to play the "what if" game on that last pick you have to play it on all the turnovers. All that being said none of that has any bearing on the game tonight. Defense wins games and because of that i like our chances. Central has given up 53 points in two playoff games and Maryville has yielded 7 and had an excellent goal line stand aganist Powell when they had it first and 10 at our two yard line.

I doubt you will find many Maryville fans that will dispute that Zach made a bad throw and there were two wide open receivers, very likely for TD's assuming they do not drop the ball. What they will dispute is that it never should of came to that. Maryville gave Central two defensive scores while squandering two of their own. It could have and should of been 28-0 at the half. But hey..........that's why they play and that's what is great about highschool football.

Credit Central's defense for making the plays and getting them back into the game. Should be a fan favorite tonight.

i dont think maryville is going to give central a chance to be in this game from the get go. i can see GQ pulling out some of his magic early just to make sure we at least have a comfortable lead at the half. I think the person who is going to make the biggest difference in this game is MHS's quarterback, whoever it may be. with the amount of rotation still going on in our offense, a lot of our production is going to be the responsibility of whoever is at the helm, i just hope we dont have a big mental breakdown early like we did last game when hunt threw that INT. in my opinion, our chances of winning are greatly lying on the shoulders of the QB for us in this game. Our defense will do the job as usual, probably sacking the "hurt" helton a couple of times. i just dont think central can compete with us, they didnt impress me at all last game, seeing as how they only scored on our mistakes, they didnt do anything at all on offense all day, i think we should just pound the life out of them. MHS by 14+