size does appear to matter

krp

The TSSAA should have left the enrollment numbers where they were, by raising them they only replaced the private schools with another dominating factor, larger schools.

Weren't the enrollment numbers set so that each class would have about the same number of schools instead of having 40 in A and 70 in AA?

There is no way that any school with less than 200 students can compete year after year on the state level with these bigger schools. . .

When you have a school that has that many students, although they may field smaller numbers, they field a team with more depth, therefore they have fewer players that play both sides of the ball and that means less of a fatigue factor.

Can you say "7 on 7?"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can only play eleven players at a time-when you're on the field I doubt if you're thinking about enrollment (I hope they're focused on the task at hand-THE GAME). Of course, your pickings' may be slim. In Trousdale County, football is a tradition. Many of the players have had fathers and even grandfathers that played for the Jackets. Tradition goes along way with me. Size does matter-the size of your school-community pride and heart!

Thank you for mentioning those wonderful words-Community, Heart, Tradition and Pride. That's what helps to make good football team. There will always be those who look for an excuse as to why they don't succeed. And then there are those who choose to succeed and those who inspire others to succeed. So I agree, Rocky Top 1, it's not the size of your #'s that makes you successful, it's the size of your heart and community support that makes the playing field even. GO 'STANGS!!!! :blink:

I have no problem with the multiplier being applied, it WAS a good thing. Then TSSAA threw salt in the eyes of all the smaller schools by increasing the enrollment to allow bigger schools to drop down into 1A. If they had left the enrollment alone it would have been a fantastic deal and really evened out the the competition. If you will notice that if TSSAA had left the enrollment alone, Jo Byrnes would still be in the same class, so I for one don't see why you are upset. There are schools in 1A that have a hard time getting 20 people to play for their team, most have 6+ players who have to play both O & D because they don't have the depth. How can they ever possibly hope to compete with a school with almost 400 kids? The proof is right before your eyes, just look at the playoffs as they stand now, 3 out of the 4 teams would not even be there if TSSAA would not have increased the enrollment limit.

What I am saying is Jo Byrns is a small 1A school. We have always had 6+ guys that have had to play both ways and some special teams. Yes Trousdale and Union City just came back down to 1A but they are not really all that much bigger. It is all about the talent within the walls. Obviously the more people in the school the more there are to choose from. I remember when Jo Byrns would only have 20 something players on the team. Now they have 40 something. The size of the school hasn't changed just the talent of some of the kids in the community. Also by the private schools getting bumped up teams like Jo Byrns are playing teams the are suppose to. Jo Byrns has had good teams but they have had to play top private schools. Now they are playing schools more their size and they are doing very well. We are not a large school but our players are playing big.

What I am saying is Jo Byrns is a small 1A school. We have always had 6+ guys that have had to play both ways and some special teams. Yes Trousdale and Union City just came back down to 1A but they are not really all that much bigger. It is all about the talent within the walls. Obviously the more people in the school the more there are to choose from. I remember when Jo Byrns would only have 20 something players on the team. Now they have 40 something. The size of the school hasn't changed just the talent of some of the kids in the community. Also by the private schools getting bumped up teams like Jo Byrns are playing teams the are suppose to. Jo Byrns has had good teams but they have had to play top private schools. Now they are playing schools more their size and they are doing very well. We are not a large school but our players are playing big.

Well said.

TC dodging???? never!!! hahaha. Its so obvious, i mean when the coach is quoted in the paper talking about it, i mean ya. Also when the coach is quoted in the paper saying that his players arent smart enough to play against those privates, well that says enough about him right there. TC Dodgers has a nice catch to it. :thumb:

Not exactly on topic, but since you brought it up, I remember dodging Brentwood Academy, Gallatin, Oakland, Notre Dame, Chatt Redbank.....in the end zone, that is.......usually with 25 or less on the squad. Sure, size matters - but then again so do a lot of other factors. If I could recruit from the entire state of _____ (you insert any one you choose) do you think I could dominate Riverdale?

No, you dropped to 1A cause the big bad privates went to 2A and 3A the reason for the 15 and 2 is you ran like rabbits in 2000 when the privates hit their stride and you're still running or you would still be in 3A. Didn't nobody tell you to go up in the first place except your fear of the privates nobody begged you back down except the privates moving up. Everyone else stayed and played Yall ran. Now that they are gone you are stll running, your mouths that is. What would you have done to Riverdale in 99. South Pittsburg tore you up so bad yall got on the bus with your pads on and wouldn't even shake hands. The team almost beat the fans home and the fans got a head start. The next year CPA did the same. The next year yall hauled --- to 3A.

krp i believe this is the second time iv had to correct you on this point, 99 TC v/s S.P. I PLAYED in that GAME, i SHOOK everyones hand and i got on the bus in my STREET CLOTHES because i changed in the locker room your stating fiction, in a sense your lying. your flushing your credibility down the toielet and why dont you make a list of ALL those privates we were running from and then go back and see what happened in all those games we played them in before, and just let that sink in for a few minutes...........................then think why would a team run from programs that they have consistitly been beating? maybe because they weren't even a factor in us going to 3a :lol: maybe trousdale decided they could quit having to fill every season with out of state teams by renewing rivalries with surrounding counties and try their game at a higher level? but no this couldnt be....not without the privates playng a role in this....................i know we could say that trousdale RAN from the privates ...............yeah thats the argument. the fact is privates had not so much to do with us going up and down, you guys just feel left out and are still mad you couldnt beat us much(if any in some cases)so it makes you feel better to say we ran from yall ;) ..........whatever i dont care but it is funny to grown men (i guess) complain about it so much :thumb::lol::lol:

Preach on Willy!!!!. The TC "Dodgers"

I will say I don't think Alcoa is the reason that Classless Clint moved them to 3A from 1A. Clint said it was because of Goodpasture and Lipscomb that he didn't want to play in 2A. He left 1A to avoid the CPAs and DCAs. The private schools they have played and won against was in the start up years for the privates and Friendship (only because they are 1/2 the size of TC). Classless Clint has taken the "Dodgers" to any classification he can to avoid competition. These TC fans arguments are as you say "pitiful".

yeah cpa and dca sure have been puttin a hurtin on about half the teams they played this year sure glad we only played them when they were starting their programs id hate to play them now that their such powerhouse programs :thumb:

FCS is the only team you mention in your post that are even worth talking about, cpa had two maybe three great teams and it took them getting beat by an inferior team on the creekbank to even see how champions really play dca they had some great teams in the mid ninties but seemed to peak there, that "start up programs line", is a load of bologna, both teams were well established long ago, well before i ever even played

yeah cpa and dca sure have been puttin a hurtin on about half the teams they played this year sure glad we only played them when they were starting their programs id hate to play them now that their such powerhouse programs :D

FCS is the only team you mention in your post that are even worth talking about, cpa had two maybe three great teams and it took them getting beat by an inferior team on the creekbank to even see how champions really play dca they had some great teams in the mid ninties but seemed to peak there, that "start up programs line", is a load of bologna, both teams were well established long ago, well before i ever even played

I don't think DCA peaked in the mid ninties nor was CPA "established long ago" since CPA started playing in 93. CPA and DCA have been to the Championship Game four times since TC was last there - winning 3 of 4. Do you really think that was because TC jumped to 3A? Both schools have grown but back in the 90's these were pretty small schools. Smaller than any of these four 1A schools discussed in this thread.

And you did play CPA in a "powerhouse" year and got beat soundly. Could have been alot worse.

krp i believe this is the second time iv had to correct you on this point, 99 TC v/s S.P. I PLAYED in that GAME, i SHOOK everyones hand and i got on the bus in my STREET CLOTHES because i changed in the locker room your stating fiction, in a sense your lying. your flushing your credibility down the toielet and why dont you make a list of ALL those privates we were running from and then go back and see what happened in all those games we played them in before, and just let that sink in for a few minutes...........................then think why would a team run from programs that they have consistitly been beating? maybe because they weren't even a factor in us going to 3a :o maybe trousdale decided they could quit having to fill every season with out of state teams by renewing rivalries with surrounding counties and try their game at a higher level? but no this couldnt be....not without the privates playng a role in this....................i know we could say that trousdale RAN from the privates ...............yeah thats the argument. the fact is privates had not so much to do with us going up and down, you guys just feel left out and are still mad you couldnt beat us much(if any in some cases)so it makes you feel better to say we ran from yall :( ..........whatever i dont care but it is funny to grown men (i guess) complain about it so much :D:P:D

I was standing on the field and I know what I'm talking about. And the fans were cussing SP fans and players like they committed some kind of crime by beating them. as for the privates, Bull yalls coach saw the writing on the wall concerning the privates. He said so himself in the papers for all to see. Yall would have went no where in 1A for the last 5 years and you know it. Maybe you can covince yourself you sure won't nobody else.

Edited by krp

I don't think DCA peaked in the mid ninties nor was CPA "established long ago" since CPA started playing in 93. CPA and DCA have been to the Championship Game four times since TC was last there - winning 3 of 4. Do you really think that was because TC jumped to 3A? Both schools have grown but back in the 90's these were pretty small schools. Smaller than any of these four 1A schools discussed in this thread.

And you did play CPA in a "powerhouse" year and got beat soundly. Could have been alot worse.

i never lost to cpa, darlin, and yes dca was playin top notch ball in the mid ninties, and so was cpa, i know cause we played them in the playoffs year after year, yes cpa had a couple of great teams in the 2000,2001, but from what i see this year neither of those teams are really keepng that tradition alive, maybe they'll be back after a good recruiting year :(:thumb::)