Alcoa vs. Tyner

aliastn

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Time Posting... Sorry for it being so long, but worth the time it takes to read.

I find it interesting the range of comments on this board. First of all it is a game. Secondly most of you miss the fact that on any given night when you get into the playoffs this deep more than likely both teams are capable of pulling off a win.

My credentials to speak are; Played high school in a true football state, Alabama. Multiple trips to the state championship including one Ring. Played College ball div 1 and played a good deal as a freshman in college (o-line) till and injury ended my playing days. I also coached as well as refereed. I am also a devoted Alcoa Fan. I think I have seen every angle of the game

Here however are some of my observations

I can only speak about Alcoa as I have not seen Tyner play. Alcoa has a strong well coached team with a winning tradition. There are many play makers on Alcoa’s team on both sides of the ball. It would be nice to have Brandon Warren (BW) back on the squad but he is not. I think he was targeted by the refs but that is for another discussion.

There are several players on the Alcoa team in back up roles that would start at other schools including McCallie, Loudon, Fulton, and Maryville. Unlike many teams we have played this year Alcoa has an unbelievably well balanced attack on offense and super flexible defense. Another real key strength is the depth of their bench for such a small team. Just look at past games to see how often they substitute and change schemes with other players.

The best team Alcoa played all year bar none is Maryville, and had Alcoa had their head in the game it should have been close. The only other real competition Alcoa played was McCallie and to some extent Loudon. Both of these teams possess great football teams and great athletes. This is not to down play any of the others we played. Any young athelete who plays for his school is special. It is much easier to be on the sidelines then to give up your free time to play football, win or lose.

In fact I would like to make special mention of GP who, although we hammered them, played with great heart the whole game. Those young men are winners of a different sort and hopefully their coaches pointed this out to them after the game. My hat is off to them!!!

The key to most of Alcoa’s win this year is variable game plan and execution. They however can be beat but whoever they play must bring their “A” game to do it. (Maryville did, as well as a A+ Coaching Job). Another secret to Alcoa’s success is game preparation which is excellent. The coaching staff at Alcoa is on par with many small college teams. They are also extremely well conditioned. To get past these two factors if any team wants to beat them they better bring a flexible game plan and be prepared to play a full 4 quarters of football.

What a lot of you see as a weakness, losing BW, may indeed turn into a strength. Alcoa’s team already sees themselves as underdogs and play well with adversity. Remember the depth I mentioned? This is going to bring out some talented young players who are not at par with BW but who are close. This adversity will also turn on the “Heart” that Alcoa plays with. What most on this list have overlooked is that BW does not make every tackle or every touchdown.

If Tyner wants to get past Alcoa they must play their best game. They also better have 48 minutes of football in their game plan. A final thing is they better prepare for a superb combined attack of running and passing with a few razzle dazzle plays thrown in for good measure.

In the end it comes down to a couple of things. One team will go home after this game. Both teams are winners for having had the chance to play some great high school football. I hope the Sr’s for both teams understand what they have experienced this year: Possibly one of the best years in their young lives. For the underclassman I hope they soak in every minute of every game, win or lose, as well and cherish the chance of a next season .

The kids who get this chance to play and carry the experience with them, thru adversity and loss are the real winners!

In closing, GO ALCOA!!!

Edited by k12koop

what r u talkin about. coach reid is an awesome head coach and would do anything he can to help us out! ask anyone on the alcoa football team and i dont think they will tel you any different

He sure lost respect for himself and Alcoa in the GP game. He also needs more discipline on his team. The Brandon Warren fiasco never should have happened.