Coach t

my2cents

The following adds fuel to the fire of the anti-privates on the P/P debate, but we're debating a different matter here:

Pre-split, and since '69 (beginning of playoff era), 92 titles were awarded. Privates, which represent maybe 10-15% of the schools in the state during that era, won 23 of them (25%); publics, which represent maybe 85-90% of the schools in the state during that era, won 69 (75%).

It is clear why the publics dominated in state titles during that era. What is less clear is why they did it at an underperforming rate.

Now your fishing. I think we all can come up with some good answers on that.

The MUS record against the Memphis area isn't that great over the last 5 years.

2003 (4-7) 2002 (7-4)

MUS 21 Whitehaven 35 MUS 7 Melrose 26

MUS 21 Briarcrest 24

MUS 17 Briarcrest 24

2001 (8-4) 2000 (5-6)

MUS 21 Whitehaven 28

No wonder they don't step out and play the big 5A programs.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now your fishing. I think we all can come up with some good answers on that.

2003 (4-7) 2002 (7-4)

MUS 21 Whitehaven 35 MUS 7 Melrose 26

MUS 21 Briarcrest 24

MUS 17 Briarcrest 24

2001 (8-4) 2000 (5-6)

MUS 21 Whitehaven 28

No wonder they don't step out and play the big 5A programs.

Correction: you're fishing. 2004 (11-1) MUS smokes East high (a good team that year) goes on to beat every memphis team it plays, and wins a state championship.

2005: We all know that story. MUS 47 5a Bolton 0

Also, Briarcrest is a DII team... idiot.

In the past five seasons, MUS is 10-3 versus non-DII Memphis schools. Sure a few losses to some good teams, and some wins against some mediocre teams, but they can only play who agrees to play them.

Let's take a look at MUS's all-time record versus current 5A Memphis schools:

Team/MUS's Record Vs.

Bartlett/14-6

Mem. Overton/6-0

Mem. Central/2-0

Bolton/3-1

Millington/12-5-1

Craigmont/5-0

Ridgeway/8-0

White Station/4-6-2

Wooddale/11-3

Germantown/25-14

Houston/2-2

Whitehaven/4-7-1

Collierville/18-4-1

Kirby/3-1

The tally: 117-49-5 in favor of MUS. I'm fairly certain 5A schools as a whole aren't knocking the door down to play MUS.

In the past five seasons, MUS is 10-3 versus non-DII Memphis schools. Sure a few losses to some good teams, and some wins against some mediocre teams, but they can only play who agrees to play them.

Let's take a look at MUS's all-time record versus current 5A Memphis schools:

The tally: 117-49-5 in favor of MUS. I'm fairly certain 5A schools as a whole aren't knocking the door down to play MUS.

Again, great stats. Why doesn't MUS play top programs outdside Memphis? Looks like they are the top dog in BBQ town so come on over spread your wings and play D-1 team in Middle and East TN. How do you think they would do against a Riverdale or Oak Ridge?

margaritaville- I never even heard of Briarcrest. I didn't call you childish names when you asked who Knox Catholic was? How many Catholic HS Schools are in TN much less Knoxville. Dugh! :lol:

1. Who is Knox Catholic? We're talking about the big boys (d2-3a) here.

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

OR has 8. TSSAA site is missing one.

Ole Dad

Most State Championships for Football

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

School Count

Brentwood Academy 9

Montgomery Bell Academy 8

Maryville 8

Oak Ridge 7

Dobyns Bennett 6

Chattanooga Central 6

Battle Ground Academy 6

Alcoa 6

Trousdale County 5

Riverdale 4

Marion County 4

Milan 4

Knoxville High 3

Lincoln County 3

Gallatin 3

Cleveland 3

Austin East 3

Loudon 3

Goodpasture 3

Sweetwater 3

South Pittsburg 3

Donelson Christian Academy 3

Evangelical Christian School 3

Bishop Byrne 3

Bradley Central 2

Jackson 2

Oakland 2

Germantown 2

Father Ryan 2

Tennessee 2

Pearl Cohn 2

Memphis University School 2

Melrose 2

Webb School of Knoxville 2

David Lipscomb 2

Lake County 2

Christ Presbyterian Academy 2

Briarcrest 2

Fulton 2

Memphis Tech 1

Memphis Central 1

Columbia Central 1

Sevier County 1

Dickson County 1

Jefferson County 1

Knoxville Halls 1

Hillcrest 1

John Overton 1

Christian Brothers 1

Baylor 1

Murfreesboro Central 1

Morristown East 1

Memphis East 1

Marshall County 1

Humboldt 1

Kingston 1

White House 1

Springfield 1

Tyner 1

Oneida 1

Franklin Road Academy 1

Bruceton Central 1

Greenback 1

Spring Hill 1

Gordonsville 1

Memphis Catholic 1

Rockwood 1

Walland 1

Dyer County 1

Tennessee Preparatory School 1

Portland 1

Red Bank 1

McCallie 1

Ezell Harding 1

Ridgeway 1

Brentwood 1

Southern Baptist Educational Center 1

Boyd Buchanan 1

Huntingdon 1

Hillsboro 1

Now Those are the facts.

I love how people bring up the "only have to win three games arguement." The first 2 rounds of the DI playoffs are a joke. There are multiple teams with losing records playing. What teams would you like to see DII teams "Step up" and play. And don't say Riverdale because it is common knowledge that Rankin will only set up a srimmage no matter how many times privates call. It was funny, however, when the MBA position became available, he was one of the first to apply.

I love how people bring up the "only have to win three games arguement." The first 2 rounds of the DI playoffs are a joke. There are multiple teams with losing records playing. What teams would you like to see DII teams "Step up" and play. And don't say Riverdale because it is common knowledge that Rankin will only set up a srimmage no matter how many times privates call. It was funny, however, when the MBA position became available, he was one of the first to apply.

Again, great stats. Why doesn't MUS play top programs outdside Memphis? Looks like they are the top dog in BBQ town so come on over spread your wings and play D-1 team in Middle and East TN. How do you think they would do against a Riverdale or Oak Ridge?

Now that is a good question! MUS has ventured to Mississippi to play some good programs over time (I'm not counting Jackson Prep, which, like many MS privates, is not terribly strong), but haven't fared that well. I doubt we'll see MUS play any East or Middle DI powers, given the distance (the travel within DII-AAA is already a disaster), but there are a handful of Riverdale-esque programs the Owls could play (starting with South Panola, which Christian Brothers actually played in a home-and-home series in the mid-90s, with the two teams splitting).

How would MUS do against Riverdale and ORHS? It depends on the year. Earlier this decade, probably not well. However, having seen them in 2004 and 2005, I think they would perform quite well. MUS's defense has been stout the past two years. I'd give slight edges to Riverdale in each year (2004 and 2005), based on the speed factor, which MUS sees less of in DII-AAA. As for ORHS, it wouldn't be fair for me to comment as I haven't seen Oak Ridge play the past two years.

As for MUS pre-split, they did win a AA title in 1985. Andy McCarroll was MUS's star running back, and he went on to a pretty good career at Vanderbilt.

margaritaville- I never even heard of Briarcrest. I didn't call you childish names when you asked who Knox Catholic was? How many Catholic HS Schools are in TN much less Knoxville. Dugh! :lol:

I suppose the key difference between our posts is that I admitted to not knowing who Knox Catholic was. You, on the other hand, pretended to know who Briarcrest was without bothering to ask. That, my friend, qualifies you as an idiot. Oops... am I being childish? Chalk it up to wisdom from the mouth of a babe then.

I suppose the key difference between our posts is that I admitted to not knowing who Knox Catholic was. You, on the other hand, pretended to know who Briarcrest was without bothering to ask. That, my friend, qualifies you as an idiot. Oops... am I being childish? Chalk it up to wisdom from the mouth of a babe then.

All that fine education and the best you can do is idiot. :D I don't think not knowing one school out of hundreds is a private school classafies one as an idiot. :huh: Of course if thats the kind of class you reflect, so be it.

I never saw an answer on why you thought the prep schools won so few Championships prior to the split. Try to come up with a better word than idiot.

BTW- Let me help you out Knoxville Catholic. The first hint should have been Knoxville, then the second should had been Catholic. Dugh!

Also since the played Briarcrest Christian in the past, you should have known. I really don't keep up with the D-II schools outside of E TN because I think D-IIs a JOKE! Just like you!

In case you were wondering where Oak Ridge High Schools is try Oak Ridge, TN. You must have a tuff time reading a map. :lol:

When 75% of the schools go to the playoffs it's a joke!

Edited by MasterBlaster 1