Coach t

my2cents

All that fine education and the best you can do is idiot. :D I don't think not knowing one school out of hundreds is a private school classafies one as an idiot. :D Of course if thats the kind of class you reflect, so be it.

I never saw an answer on why you thought the prep schools won so few Championships prior to the split. Try to come up with a better word than idiot.

BTW- Let me help you out Knoxville Catholic. The first hint should have been Knoxville, then the second should had been Catholic. Dugh!

Also since the played Briarcrest Christian in the past, you should have known. I really don't keep up with the D-II schools outside of E TN because I think D-IIs a JOKE! Just like you!

In case you were wondering where Oak Ridge High Schools is try Oak Ridge, TN. You must have a tuff time reading a map. :lol:

When 75% of the schools go to the playoffs it's a joke!

You might want to work on that map reading too, or history. When you say choo-choo town most people will think Chattanooga. CBHS and MUS are in Memphis. They really are not that close according to the maps I have seen lately. :huh:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to work on that map reading too, or history. When you say choo-choo town most people will think Chattanooga. CBHS and MUS are in Memphis. They really are not that close according to the maps I have seen lately. :lol:

I live in Knoxville, so I was referring to driving down to Chattanooga to watch MUS play Baylor or McCallie.

You’re reading things into my post brainiac. brainiac.gif

Memphis-The Bluff City, Home of the worlds largest BBQ, Home of the blues, Graceland. Started by Andrew Jackson and a few others.

Lived there for one year and that was enough for me. It stinks, just like your post

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

I live in Knoxville, so I was referring to driving down to Chattanooga to watch MUS play Baylor or McCallie.

You’re reading things into my post brainiac. brainiac.jpg

Memphis-The Bluff City, Home of the worlds largest BBQ, Home of the blues, Graceland. Started by Andrew Jackson and a few others.

Lived there for one year and that was enough for me. It stinks, just like your post.

My bad. Man, you are one angry person :lol::blink: Have a good thanksgiving and don't choke on any bones :lol:

Almost 35% of the teams that made the DI 5A playoffs had a record of 6-4 (60%) or worse, including a team with only 3 wins. 40% of the teams that made the DI 4A playoff had a record of 6-4 or worse, including a team with only 2 wins. This indicates that the first round and most of the second round of the DI playoffs pit good teams against teams that are mediocre. So to win a DI title, you only have to win 3 legitimate playoff games. Here is some other information:

Baylor beat 1 team that made the DI 4A playoffs and 1 team that made the DI AA playoffs while losing to no teams out of DII AAA.

BA beat 1 team that made the DI 5A playoffs while losing to no teams out of DII AAA.

Briarcrest beat 2 teams that made the DI AA playoffs while losing to 1 team out of DII AAA, which made the DI 4A playoffs.

CBHS beat 1 team that made the DI AA playoffs, 1 team that made the DI 4A playoffs, and 1 team that beat the DI 5A playoffs while losing to no team out of DII AAA.

Father Ryan beat 1 team that made the DI 5A playoffs while losing to 1 team outside of DIIAAA, which played in DII AA and made the playoffs.

MBA did not beat any DI playoff teams nor lose to any out of DIIAAA teams in TN.

McCallie beat 1 DI AA team that made the playoffs, while losing to 1 team that made the DI AA playoffs and 1 team that made the DI 4A playoffs.

MUS beat 1 team that made the DI 5A playoffs while losing to no one outside of DII AAA.

So... DII AAA teams won 11 games against teams that made the DI playoffs while losing only 3 games to non DII teams, all of which made the playoffs. (not including out of state wins or losses) The average of the classifications of DI playoff teams that DII AAA teams beat was 3.45 A while the average of the classifications of DI teams that DII AAA teams lost to was 3.33 A.

Understand that, I was raised on Father Ryan Football so I love to see some of the great games among the old rivals.

However, your list brings up a point that I noticed this year. The D-II schools are playing 2A -4A. Not what I'm use to seeing out of some of the former State Football Powers from our fine Prep Schools.

I remember the days of BA, FR and others playing the top programs in the State. I don't see that anymore.

I don't know if the top programs in D-I are avoiding the top D-II or the opposite.

But folks on her beating their chest saying were the best, when they have played a limited schedule (ie MUS, Baylor & CBHS 2X ) is making me sick. Seams like when they played Melrose and other strong programs in Memphis they were spanked. I would hate to see what would happen to them against a Riverdale or Maryville.

I do agree that some sorry teams get into the D-1 playoffs but in some cases like Region 2, 5A this year all the schools had winning records and had beat teams in the top 10.

However, in D-II every year 75% of the schools get to say we went to the playoffs.

My point is that folks in D-II seam to think that they have the best football teams in TN but when they had the chance to prove it in the past, they only won approx 10% of the the largest divisions Championships.

That point can not be ignored.

Good luck to all and Happy Holidays!

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

The reason that DII AAA teams aren't scheduling as many 4A and 5A teams anymore is not because they don't want to. When I was at MBA in 98-00, we played Oakland, Lincoln Co, Henry Co, Pearl Cohn, etc., and we beat them all. Other DII AAA teams had similar success. Now, instead of playing these teams, we have to play Bolles, Louisville Trinity, Byrnes, South Haven, etc. The large pubic schools have taken their chances, and they lost the majority of them. They have now decided that instead of losing a non-region game they don't have to, they'll schedule someone else. Also, in defense of McCallie in particular, it makes more sense for them to play 2A Tyner , who are right there, then to come to Nashville to play Riverdale, although I think Maryville is close enough to warrant a game, but I'm not sure if those talks have ever been initiated.

I don't have the time or energy to investigate the championships pre-split, but I would imagine that part of the reason that there was not a larger percentage of titles won by DII AAA schools in those years is reflected somewhat correctly by Roll Red Roll earlier in this thread. When there were just 3 divisions, it was mathematically more difficult to win a title because there were more teams fighting for fewer titles, and privates were just a small portion of those schools. Also, BA won several titles as it worked its way up to 5A, which I'm not sure if you're including in your analysis. They, like MBA, played above their classification, but they had to work their way up. I'm not sure if other DII AAA schools took this same approach. I would not be surprised, however, to see MBA, BA, MUS, and several other DII AAA schools at or near the top of the career win percentage list of TN high school football.

To me, DII AAA is a lot like the SEC in its current situation. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. It is unfortunate that MUS has to play CBHS and some other teams more than once a year, but playing the brothers again is a lot harder than the majority of other games they would be playing. It is hard to play at that level week in and week out and keep winning, which is why going undefeated in DII AAA is such an accomplishment.

Finally, I could care less about how many teams make the playoffs in DII AAA. I wouldn't care if they all made it, and I wouldn't care if only 4 made. Nobody's goal is to make the playoffs, or at least it shouldn't be. The goal is to win the state championship, and IMO winning the DII AAA state championship is the biggest accomplishment in TN HS football 85% of the time.

Understand that, I was raised on Father Ryan Football so I love to see some of the great games among the old rivals.

However, your list brings up a point that I noticed this year. The D-II schools are playing 2A -4A. Not what I'm use to seeing out of some of the former State Football Powers from our fine Prep Schools.

I remember the days of BA, FR and others playing the top programs in the State. I don't see that anymore.

I don't know if the top programs in D-I are avoiding the top D-II or the opposite.

But folks on her beating their chest saying were the best, when they have played a limited schedule (ie MUS, Baylor & CBHS 2X ) is making me sick. Seams like when they played Melrose and other strong programs in Memphis they were spanked. I would hate to see what would happen to them against a Riverdale or Maryville.

I do agree that some sorry teams get into the D-1 playoffs but in some cases like Region 2, 5A this year all the schools had winning records and had beat teams in the top 10.

However, in D-II every year 75% of the schools get to say we went to the playoffs.

My point is that folks in D-II seam to think that they have the best football teams in TN but when they had the chance to prove it in the past, they only won approx 10% of the the largest divisions Championships.

That point can not be ignored.

Good luck to all and Happy Holidays!

I know for a fact that some of the 5A schools (Germantown and Houston) in Memphis were asked to play in the Bridges Classic to start the year and declined because they didn't want to play CBHS or MUS. So you can't play them if they won't play.

I love how people bring up the "only have to win three games arguement." The first 2 rounds of the DI playoffs are a joke. There are multiple teams with losing records playing. What teams would you like to see DII teams "Step up" and play. And don't say Riverdale because it is common knowledge that Rankin will only set up a srimmage no matter how many times privates call. It was funny, however, when the MBA position became available, he was one of the first to apply.

Gee...all of you that want rejoin DI with DII messed up there. Everyone knows Gary caused the split. He wouldn't have any problem getting them back together. :lol: You really dropped the ball there. :justwrestle:

Not really because your Counting the D-II (Second Class)Championships!

Also, there are more public schools that have a chance to bring home the gold ball.

rollredroll- Great Stats! I can't even try to come up with a rebuttal. It would take more time and brain power than I have. :lol: It's an endless argument that they have separate topic sections for.

I know the football fans would love to see the old system prior to the split back w/o recruiting.

BTW- No one ever answered the domination of the public Schools in the Non-split years. I know when your beat, change the argument. :justwrestle: :justwrestle:

All of the BA championships are before the split.

BA, MBA, CBHS and MUS have historically held their own with the big boys. Even

in a "down" year for BA, they still handed Ravenwood (likely 5A finalist) their only

loss of the year.

You get no argument from me that DII championships have less cachet than in

the pre-split years. Unfortunately, we didn't ask for this scenario. In general, Tennessee has way too many championships.