How you beat Maryville

Stormytruck

Nothing ever personal here. But your head is in the sand if you don't think there is a selection process that takes place on many of the youth teams. I understand not every kid is a player or has a safe size to play, and the limits on numbers but how many years has it been since the City teams/program has added a team? I think it has been a few years. The county has added more teams and now there are a few more middle schools who have teams but not he city of Maryville.

I think there would be support for it, but what do others say. Could the Youth programs expand?

Selection process? Please describe what you are speaking about. Are you saying they only take certain kids? If that were the case then there wouldn't be a bad player on any of the city teams. I do know they are, and have been trying for a few years to keep the teams mostly "city"kids.

I would agree completely that there needs to be another Maryville city team added. Too many city kids have to go to the county because the city teams are full. Many don't play at all rather than go to a county team. The issue is as follows. The money it takes to start a team/organization is a deterient, and finding someone that is will to take it on is another.

Here is another issue......if not for city kids playing in the county many county teams would struggle fielding a team. Take Fairview for instance....their coach accuses the city teams of recruiting, cherry picking, yet his roster is filled with city kids.

Edited by MLREB

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really mean no harm and maybe the selection process is just normal politics of whose dad you are. I know the youth programs do a great job and I’ve watched a few games over the years. It’s tough to not select any kid who wants to play. I don’t think this community thinks much of youth sports anyway. I my opinion, Maryville city is the worst in E. TN. No baseball fields, youth tournaments, swimming pools ect… Another subject.

You are right about the Fairview coach. As I a matter of fact I have a friend whose son played for him and was one of Maryville’s front seven this year. When the coach found out his older brother was on the Maryville HS team, little brothers playing time got cut significantly! The guy hates Maryville and is a WB teacher.

Wonder what kind of money it takes to start a team?

With a full roster approximately $300.00 per kid to properly supply equipment. A full roster is 35. That is $10,500.00 to start a team plus practice equipment such as blocking dummies etc....and insurance. Realistically you can get a team up and going for 8 to 10 K.

Here is the kicker.....the rules require a new organization entering the league to have a Pee Wee and a Midget team, you can't have just one starting out. You can just have a Grasshopper team and not a Pee Wee Midget team per current rules.

Based on the current rules it would take 15 to 20 K to get an organization started. That is the main issue at this point.

Edited by MLREB

I really mean no harm and maybe the selection process is just normal politics of whose dad you are. I know the youth programs do a great job and I’ve watched a few games over the years. It’s tough to not select any kid who wants to play. I don’t think this community thinks much of youth sports anyway. I my opinion, Maryville city is the worst in E. TN. No baseball fields, youth tournaments, swimming pools ect… Another subject.

You are right about the Fairview coach. As I a matter of fact I have a friend whose son played for him and was one of Maryville’s front seven this year. When the coach found out his older brother was on the Maryville HS team, little brothers playing time got cut significantly! The guy hates Maryville and is a WB teacher.

You make it sound so jaded, and maybe I am looking at it through rose colored glasses, but I don't think it's as bad as you say. Maybe it was worse when your kids were at that level. My son played for the Fairview 7 and 8 year old team this year. He was on the Maryville Lil Rebs waiting list, but went through Spring practice with the Fairview team and we decided to stay with Fairview not only this year, but for the future. His coach (Jimmy Parsley) was excellent. I know that is not the coach you are referring to, but he had no problem giving my son substantial playing time, as well as a post season award, knowing he is a "city kid." My understanding is Fairview is looking at changing their name to the Maryville Raiders because they do have so many MV city kids in their program. That would give the city 3 youth football programs when you count the Cubs/Bears, Rebs/Southerners and the Raiders. I have as many connections with the city coaches as anyone, and that did not influence where my son was on the waiting list. I was very pleased with the youth program overall, and I think it does nothing but help the Maryville Middle and High School programs.

You make it sound so jaded, and maybe I am looking at it through rose colored glasses, but I don't think it's as bad as you say. Maybe it was worse when your kids were at that level. My son played for the Fairview 7 and 8 year old team this year. He was on the Maryville Lil Rebs waiting list, but went through Spring practice with the Fairview team and we decided to stay with Fairview not only this year, but for the future. His coach (Jimmy Parsley) was excellent. I know that is not the coach you are referring to, but he had no problem giving my son substantial playing time, as well as a post season award, knowing he is a "city kid." My understanding is Fairview is looking at changing their name to the Maryville Raiders because they do have so many MV city kids in their program. That would give the city 3 youth football programs when you count the Cubs/Bears, Rebs/Southerners and the Raiders. I have as many connections with the city coaches as anyone, and that did not influence where my son was on the waiting list. I was very pleased with the youth program overall, and I think it does nothing but help the Maryville Middle and High School programs.

Good post and you are correct in your points.

As for Jimmy Parsley he does a good job coaching at the youth level and is an even better person. It's great to see quality people coaching at the youth level that are doing it for the RIGHT reasons.

Edited by MLREB

• 2 weeks later...

We'll show you how to beat them next year if we get the coaches I hope to get in here to run the offense. But I will admit at this point we do not have a clue. We are probably the only team they play that equals or surpasses them in talent and we can't beat them.Hopefully things will change. I am not trying to get anyone fired or cause them trouble but it is obivious that we need more offensive capabilities from a scheme standpoint. Central Bobcat

We'll show you how to beat them next year if we get the coaches I hope to get in here to run the offense. But I will admit at this point we do not have a clue. We are probably the only team they play that equals or surpasses them in talent and we can't beat them.Hopefully things will change. I am not trying to get anyone fired or cause them trouble but it is obivious that we need more offensive capabilities from a scheme standpoint. Central Bobcat

We will beat them next year, We will show you how to beat them next year, Their time is up next year, Their party is going to be over next year, We will take them out next year. How many times have you posted the same crap on here about Helton High beating Maryville next year or next time. You are correct about one thing, Central has great players and sooner or later they will beat Maryville. It is hard to beat any team as many times as Maryville has beaten Central.

Mabey next year will be your year, but you will have to come to the BLACK WHOLE to beat us and I like our chances at home against anybody. As far as coaches go, I will take ours against any in Knoxville or in the State.

Speaking of STATE, we had another great time in the BURRO this year. Had dinner at the same place and ran into some old friends that we met in 2000. We look foward to seeing them again next year. Oh no, now you have me saying next year. Well I better go before I start trying to get our coaches fired. Rebel9

Edited by Rebel9

We will beat them next year, We will show you how to beat them next year, Their time is up next year, Their party is going to be over next year, We will take them out next year. How many times have you posted the same crap on here about Helton High beating Maryville next year or next time. You are correct about one thing, Central has great players and sooner or later they will beat Maryville. It is hard to beat any team as many times as Maryville has beaten Central.

Mabey next year will be your year, but you will have to come to the BLACK WHOLE to beat us and I like our chances at home against anybody. As far as coaches go, I will take ours against any in Knoxville or in the State.

Speaking of STATE, we had another great time in the BURRO this year. Had dinner at the same place and ran into some old friends that we met in 2000. We look foward to seeing them again next year. Oh no, now you have me saying next year. Well I better go before I start trying to get our coaches fired. Rebel9

Good post, yea Central needs coaching too. Is Papa Helton going to step down now that Zack's football career is over?

Next year, well today it is This Year. Happy new year to all!

Year in Review. Maryville rules the day, Again! The thing all of 4A has to look forward to is Maryville does not have a State Championship this year, yet!

I will agree your coaches are the best recruiters in this state bar none even better than beefy on the Hill. Central Bobcat

No body with a brain really believes that Maryville recruits players. No one said anything about recruting between the years or 1978 and 1998 when Maryville went 20 YEARS without winning a State Title. We have the best high school coaching staff in the state and the school and a good run of wins attracts players to the system.

Central has had MANY players that have moved into the Central Zone over the past 6 years and they have had some great teams. The problem is that those great players have not played like a TEAM. As good as Zach Helton was for 4 years, he would not have been the starting QB at Maryville during that time. He would have been a starter and had a very good 3 years on varisty. He would not have started as a freshman on varisty.

Bobcat, you need to hook up with Snapper ( if you are not Snapper) and coach the team and see how hard the job really is. Zach and his dad are both good guys and don't deserve half the crap that they catch on this web site.

Good luck next year! There I go again, talking about next year. I guess you cause me to do that. Rebel9

No body with a brain really believes that Maryville recruits players. No one said anything about recruting between the years or 1978 and 1998 when Maryville went 20 YEARS without winning a State Title. We have the best high school coaching staff in the state and the school and a good run of wins attracts players to the system.

Central has had MANY players that have moved into the Central Zone over the past 6 years and they have had some great teams. The problem is that those great players have not played like a TEAM. As good as Zach Helton was for 4 years, he would not have been the starting QB at Maryville during that time. He would have been a starter and had a very good 3 years on varisty. He would not have started as a freshman on varisty.

Bobcat, you need to hook up with Snapper ( if you are not Snapper) and coach the team and see how hard the job really is. Zach and his dad are both good guys and don't deserve half the crap that they catch on this web site.

Good luck next year! There I go again, talking about next year. I guess you cause me to do that. Rebel9

I agree with you when they went 20 years without a championship they did not have this staff to recruit, and like I said in an earlier post the success of the program probably recruits itself. I don't know who snapper is,but coach Helton is a great coach and I appreciate all he has done for the Bobcats. Again if the changes take place on our staff that I hear are coming you will not like looking forward to next year. The changes do not include replacing our head coach who I would not trade for anyone in this state-ANYONE. Central Bobcat