Football Dynasties

WarriorFan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty strong numbers.........D-B deserves Regional dynasty at least if these numbers are correct.....hard to give them TOTAL dynasty in the modern era since they haven't been to a state championship game........but DEFINITE regional dynasty, I agree.......ok.....how about East TN dynasty? For that matter......I call OR an East TN dynasty as well......fair enough?

My only question would be, WHO DO you think is a dynasty in Tennessee High School Football? Webster's define a dynasty as " a powerful group that maintains its position for a considerable time". Where does OR fail in this definition? 5 different decades with a championship, the best winning percentage in the state in the playoffs since they were started (56-21 .727%), 8 state titles, and playing for another one tommorow.

1940s 35-25

1950s 85-10

1960s 71-26

1970s 91-21

1980s 94-23

1990s 107-23

2000s 63-14

All this playing in the largest classification in Tennessee, who has numbers that can match this? I think my post showed that BA, DB, and OR are as close as possible in winning percentages, and thats with OR and DB playing a combined total of 715 more games than BA!!! This and my other post may still not change your opinion, thats OK, but I've posted hard numbers, (facts), maybe we have a different take on what a dynasty is, I don't know, but as I stated, I'll put this numbers up against anybody elses. I'm intersted in hearing from anyone else, maybe i'm a bit biased.

Edited by catback

My only question would be, WHO DO you think is a dynasty in Tennessee High School Football? Webster's define a dynasty as " a powerful group that maintains its position for a considerable time". Where does OR fail in this definition? 5 different decades with a championship, the best winning percentage in the state in the playoffs since they were started (56-21 .727%), 8 state titles, and playing for another one tommorow.

1940s 35-25

1950s 85-10

1960s 71-26

1970s 91-21

1980s 94-23

1990s 107-23

2000s 63-14

All this playing in the largest classification in Tennessee, who has numbers that can match this? I think my post showed that BA, DB, and OR are as close as possible in winning percentages, and thats with OR and DB playing a combined total of 715 more games than BA!!!

Very impressive numbers, but you both keep getting knocked off at the Regional level......OR cannot get past the other teams for 14 years which says that you don't dominate........definite TN powerhouse.....east TN dynasty.......past dynasty in the late 50's-early 60's..........no statewide dynasty, though because you both keep getting knocked off before the state championship...........bottom line.......ya gotta "win" state championships like you used to in the 50's and 60's to be a state dynasty.

Edited by Brandon100

Very impressive numbers, but you both keep getting knocked off at the Regional level......OR cannot get past the other teams for 14 years which says that you don't dominate........definite TN powerhouse.....east TN dynasty.......past dynasty in the late 50's-early 60's..........no statewide dynasty, though because you both keep getting knocked off before the state championship...........bottom line.......ya gotta "win" state championships like you used to in the 50's and 60's to be a state dynasty.

50s and 60s? what about 1975, 1979, 1980, 1991, and possibly 2005, you still have'nt answered my question, who do YOU think is a dynasty?? If you say BA, and your all about Gold Balls (state championships), we have 8 of them in our trophy case, how many does BA have? TSSAA has you at 9, and OR at 8, and playing for a ninth tommorow.

I don't see in the numbers where you could think that BA has a more dominate history than OR, when you've played your 700th game we'll talk. When was BA last championship won, or for that matter, when was the last time you played for one? I think the last one was in 1996, almost 10 years ago!!!

Edited by catback

50s and 60s? what about 1975, 1979, 1980, 1991, and possibly 2005, you still have'nt answered my question, who do YOU think is a dynasty?? If you say BA, and your all about Gold Balls (state championships), we have 8 of them in our trophy case, how many does BA have? TSSAA has you at 9, and OR at 8, and playing for a ninth tommorow.

I don't see in the numbers where you could think that BA has a more dominate history than OR, when you've played your 700th game we'll talk. When was BA last championship won, or for that matter, when was the last time you played for one? I think the last one was in 1996, almost 10 years ago!!!

Back to back state championships does not make a dynasty.........neither do sporadic state championships or state runner up appearances..........ya gotta have a string of em together to make a dynasty.......you have to dominate for a long time to have a dynasty. Winning a state championship every 10-15 years or playing in a state championship every 10-15 years is not a dynasty. You are an East TN dynasty, but keep getting knocked off and not making it to the big dance for the state of TN as a whole.......If you want to talk about appearances, BA has 21 in 35 years.......OR has 8 in about 50 years.......but really only 4 actual appearances in a state championship game in 30 years.....THAT is not a dynasty. I am not taking anything away from a great program such as OR. Great history, but using the word DYNASTY is a little out of hand........of course, if you guys from OR want to sit around in front of the coffee machine at work and call yourselves a dynasty, you have every right. You are what you think you are......in your own minds.

Dobyns-Bennett is the Notre Dame of Tennessee High School Football...years of tradition and a plethora of honors and famous players in the past but we have not been able to win the big one in recent times. D-B was a national power from 1935 to 1949 and put Tennessee football on the map when Southeastern high school football was thought to be inferior to the Midwest and Northeastern parts of the country! As far as a dynasty, D-B was a nationally recognized program who benefited from a remarkable talent base for such a small town for about 30 years (mid 30' to mid 60's).

Current dynasties are Oak Ridge, Riverdale, Maryville, Alcoa, Melrose, BA and MBA.

Alot of non-football factors play a part - the biggest one I see currently is the economic development and population boom in Rutherford and Williamson Counties so I expect Riverdale, Brentwood, Brentwood Academy, Franklin, Blackman, Oakland, Lavernge and Smyrna to continue to get better and better. Even Antioch and Page who were football doormats for years have benefited from the growth!

Good Luck to Oak Ridge, Maryville and Alcoa - bring some gold back to East Tennessee!

Great topic...I love high school football and am thankful to Coach T or allowing us the opportunity to get together!

Edited by biglon68

Dobyns-Bennett is the Notre Dame of Tennessee High School Football...years of tradition and a plethora of honors and famous players in the past but we have not been able to win the big one in recent times. D-B was a national power from 1935 to 1949 and put Tennessee football on the map when Southeastern high school football was thought to be inferior to the Midwest and Northeastern parts of the country! As far as a dynasty, D-B was a nationally recognized program who benefited from a remarkable talent base for such a small town for about 30 years (mid 30' to mid 60's).

Current dynasties are Oak Ridge, Riverdale, Maryville, Alcoa, Melrose, BA and MBA.

Alot of non-football factors play a part - the biggest one I see currently is the economic development and population boom in Rutherford and Williamson Counties so I expect Riverdale, Brentwood, Brentwood Academy, Franklin, Blackman, Oakland, Lavernge and Smyrna to continue to get better and better. Even Antioch and Page who were football doormats for years have benefited from the growth!

Good Luck to Oak Ridge, Maryville and Alcoa - bring some gold back to East Tennessee!

Great topic...I love high school football and am thankful to Coach T or allowing us the opportunity to get together!

This is a definite intelligent, well-thought post. Biglon provided facts, history, and appears he understands economic development playing a part as well. Reading this post is a breath of fresh air. Great job! :thumb:

Do you only post on CoachT to show how much of jerk you are? I am sure your hero, Coach Flatt, would be proud.

Ya know.....it is ok for Sargeowl to say that I am in a group that is just "plane" dumb because I do not see things his way........ but I cannot show humor in someone calling me just "plane" dumb and misspelling the pronunciation????????? I am a jerk?????? Come on!!!!! I have never told anyone they were "plain" dumb for not agreeing with me.....I just state the facts and let folks form their own opinions.........

Slanderous?????? That is a HUGE accusation........Ambiguous is NOT slanderous, he just often speaks the truth on what folks don't want to hear.

As for an Oak Ridge Dynasty.......

Oak Ridge HAD a dynasty run in the late 1950's-early1960's by means of polls and not by means of an actual state championship game. Back to back titles in 1979-80 is NOT a dynasty. As for the "National Championship".....whatever.........

Since so many in this thread are sticklers for accuracy, a defamatory post on this site would be libelous, not slanderous. A defamation spoken is slanderous. A defamation written is libelous.

Ya know.....it is ok for Sargeowl to say that I am in a group that is just "plane" dumb because I do not see things his way........ but I cannot show humor in someone calling me just "plane" dumb and misspelling the pronunciation????????? I am a jerk?????? Come on!!!!! I have never told anyone they were "plain" dumb for not agreeing with me.....I just state the facts and let folks form their own opinions.........

Then on the "Public-Private Debate" forum you post - " . . . Ya know.....it is still fun messing with these guys.......been doing it to Oak Ridge fans all week about their "dynasty"......they will make you fall out of your seat in laughter!........Forgot how much fun this board was!"

I have formed an opinion about you. :lol:

Edited by Bighurt