Multiplier rule did what it was suppose to do!

UCSportsFan

I must admit i was a little skeptical about the multiplier but now that the state playoffs in football are almost over its obvious that it has evened the playing field out for the public school systems to compete on the gridiron with the private schools. Looks like all 5 classifications will go to the publics this year where as in the past the Blue Cross bowl was owned by the privates. Whats everyone's thoughts on this?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carnac says: "I see this thread being moved over to the Public/Private debate in the near future"

Do you really want to know what folks think about this? Ok...

I think it is a very manipulative and subjective way to organize classes. I thought so last year and I'll continue to think so until the complaints are dealt with fairly across the board. The advantages of magnet and open zone schools are not addressed at all within this system. I've watched as upperclassmen statewide have struggled this year to step up to another level (some during a rebuilding year) wondering aloud what their school did "wrong" to be placed in this situation. I do think that they have learned that life, indeed, isn't fair and that you do the best you can with the hand you've been dealt.

If that lesson has been learned then they are all champions in my book. It is, after all, what we want for our young men and women- to learn life lessons from sports.

The only thing that I see as a positive is that the whining has subsided for a year, but that's just me.

Carnac says: "I see this thread being moved over to the Public/Private debate in the near future"

I think it is a very manipulative and subjective way to organize classes. I thought so last year and I'll continue to think so until the complaints are dealt with fairly across the board. The advantages of magnet and open zone schools are not addressed at all within this system. I've watched as upperclassmen statewide have struggled this year to step up to another level (some during a rebuilding year) wondering aloud what their school did "wrong" to be placed in this situation. I do think that they have learned that life, indeed, isn't fair and that you do the best you can with the hand you've been dealt.

If that lesson has been learned then they are all champions in my book. It is, after all, what we want for our young men and women- to learn life lessons from sports.

The only thing that I see as a positive is that the whining has subsided for a year, but that's just me.

A complete split is a much more fair way of handling the situation, just my opinion. Forcing teams to play up a class based on the fact that their all students have to pay full tuition is not an equitable solution when you have publics with open zones, magnets, and publics that charge tuition for out of zone students.

Please tell me of a magnet school that dominates in football? The magnet school is academically based, period.

The privates do have advantages that the publics don't have. The multiplier does even out those disadvantages. It is not unfair. So, YOU need to stop all of YOUR whining!!!

Separate them .....NOW!!!!!

Let the public schools play each other and the tuition schools play each other and the financial aid schools play each other.

Why talk about sending this to a private/public thread when you have them playing each other in regional play.....that would seem a little hypocritical.

It will be interesting with Ronnie Carter's son coaching at a private school....to see where this goes. The votes are there now to separate.

"Please tell me of a magnet school that dominates in football? The magnet school is academically based, period.

The privates do have advantages that the publics don't have. The multiplier does even out those disadvantages. It is not unfair. So, YOU need to stop all of YOUR whining!!!"

Hmmmm. Somebody needs a nap!

That would be Tyner (and they are a great football team!) and my post mentioned magnets AND open zones, dude.

Please, can you tell me what real advantages (not PERCEIVED advantages) that private D1 schools have that do not also apply to magnets and open zones? Not whining-just answering devils' question.

Separate them .....NOW!!!!!

Let the public schools play each other and the tuition schools play each other and the financial aid schools play each other.

Why talk about sending this to a private/public thread when you have them playing each other in regional play.....that would seem a little hypocritical.

It will be interesting with Ronnie Carter's son coaching at a private school....to see where this goes. The votes are there now to separate.

I only mentioned the move to the other board because every time this subject comes up-that's where it gets moved to.

The travel, cost and safety issues have to be resolved before there can be a total split.

I only mentioned the move to the other board because every time this subject comes up-that's where it gets moved to.

The travel, cost and safety issues have to be resolved before there can be a total split.

Time will tell about the multiplier- it took 2 years in Alabama for the privates to win a state football title after their 1.35- but it only made them stronger.

Georgia eliminated their 1.5 this year.

It's a messed up system regardless- the toothpaste is not going back into the tube.

I believe that 15-20 years from now- there will be 1/3 fewer football programs in public schools. Nationwide participation will be reduced by 30% and privates will play in regional associations apart from the National Federation. Football will be totally funded outside of regular education budgets.

I also predict a coaching shortage based on lack of education certification standards and expectations in the classroom.

All other sports will be AAU and club teams.

There will be a "super conference" of public and privates with money generated by ESPN and Nike.

Everyone else will be rather insignificant. It will be the haves and the have nots.

Time will tell about the multiplier- it took 2 years in Alabama for the privates to win a state football title after their 1.35- but it only made them stronger.

It's a messed up system regardless- the toothpaste is not going back into the tube.

I believe that 15-20 years from now- there will be 1/3 fewer football programs in public schools. Nationwide participation will be reduced by 30% and privates will play in regional associations apart from the National Federation. Football will be totally funded outside of regular education budgets.

I also predict a coaching shortage based on lack of education certification standards and expectations in the classroom.

There will be a "super conference" of public and privates with money generated by ESPN and Nike.

Everyone else will be rather insignificant. It will be the haves and the have nots.

Dixie Youth Baseball would be a good model for a great community based sports league without government run schools being involved. Good idea.

Please, can you tell me what real advantages (not PERCEIVED advantages) that private D1 schools have that do not also apply to magnets and open zones? Not whining-just answering devils' question.

Yes I can.

REAL ADVANTAGE #1: Coaches. Privates schools don't have to have coaches who are teachers. This gives them a much larger pool from which to choose from to be their coaches. How many public schools have former NFL players beating down the door to coach??? But, there are several private schools who have former NFL and college players coaching them. At some (not all) private schools, the head coach has no other job. He can spend an inordinate amount of time preparing a game plan/reviewing film that a public school coach cannot do.

REAL ADVANTAGE #2: Environment. Coaches at privates schools get a pool of atheletes that come mostly from good, solid homes and very, very few off the field problems. Discipline is not hard to establish at private schools as you must have it to even attend the school (and stay there). Public schools deal with so many broken homes, undisciplined players, etc. The coaches have to spend a lot of time establishing discipline with students who don't live that way. Discipline and fundamentals are so very important in high school football.

REAL ADVANTAGE #3: Equipment and facilities. The supporters (parents and alumni) of private schools funnel lots of money into their athletics programs. This provides state of the art equipment and facilities for many of these private schools. Public schools are constantly struggling for money. Don't need to say much more about that as we are all taxpayers!

Those are the three biggest REAL ADVANTAGES. They are not perceived.

This is the opinion I posted on the Public/Private Debate Board over a year ago and the Genius of All STrott stated it would never happen. I believe the large Metro areas will have to cut funding of athletic programs that are not self sustaining. Only counties that can generate enough revenue through gate reps. and strong booster clubs will have programs. This will be rural areas where athletics continue to be a community event and private schools.

Let's face it the best of the best in all amatuer sports other than football are club teams in ASA softball, AAU Basketball, and various baseball organizations. Don't get me wrong I think high school athletics are an important part of school life but there is not enough community interest in the larger metro areas due to busing, large comprehensive schools with large zones and the variety of activities outside of sports that are available for kids these days.

Yes I can.

REAL ADVANTAGE #1: Coaches. Privates schools don't have to have coaches who are teachers. This gives them a much larger pool from which to choose from to be their coaches. How many public schools have former NFL players beating down the door to coach??? But, there are several private schools who have former NFL and college players coaching them. At some (not all) private schools, the head coach has no other job. He can spend an inordinate amount of time preparing a game plan/reviewing film that a public school coach cannot do.

REAL ADVANTAGE #2: Environment. Coaches at privates schools get a pool of atheletes that come mostly from good, solid homes and very, very few off the field problems. Discipline is not hard to establish at private schools as you must have it to even attend the school (and stay there). Public schools deal with so many broken homes, undisciplined players, etc. The coaches have to spend a lot of time establishing discipline with students who don't live that way. Discipline and fundamentals are so very important in high school football.

REAL ADVANTAGE #3: Equipment and facilities. The supporters (parents and alumni) of private schools funnel lots of money into their athletics programs. This provides state of the art equipment and facilities for many of these private schools. Public schools are constantly struggling for money. Don't need to say much more about that as we are all taxpayers!

Those are the three biggest REAL ADVANTAGES. They are not perceived.

Apparantly you have been to some different private D1 schools than I have.

#1 NFL coaches? First I've heard of it. The D1 privates in the Chattanooga area can barely afford two stipend coaches and the rest are volunteers. By the way, several public schools tha I know of have coaches who are not faculty members.

Ask the booster clubs of most successful programs (public or private) and you'll find that the income of the coaches is almost identical, with a slight advantage going to the public schools.

#2 What makes you think that there are no broken homes in private schools? The only thing that makes any real-world sense in this post is that private schools have more control over the discipline of the students. You are correct there.

#3 Agian, there is no way that you've seen the facilities at Boyd-Buchanan, Ezell-Harding, Grace, Temple or DCA for that matter. Vastly inferior to most, if not all public facilities. Shoot, even Notre Dame ( 3A, in Chattanooga) isn't anything to get excited about.

I stand by everything I've said here. Unfortunately you are standing in most of what you've said here.

Edited by 37421