Multiplier rule did what it was suppose to do!

UCSportsFan

Separate them .....NOW!!!!!

Let the public schools play each other and the tuition schools play each other and the financial aid schools play each other.

Why talk about sending this to a private/public thread when you have them playing each other in regional play.....that would seem a little hypocritical.

It will be interesting with Ronnie Carter's son coaching at a private school....to see where this goes. The votes are there now to separate.

If we're going to split - lets split out city school systems -- Alcoa, Maryville, Oak Ridge, Kingsport DB, Johnson City, Milan, Cleveland, Dyersburg, Union City, Tennessee High, and some others.

Edited by yellowdog

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is unfair! Having to play up a classification just because your good is not fair at all. Public coaches just complain simply because they were getting out played and out worked, it's just unfair to the kids it's accually rediculous it costs some kids a state title.

Edited by footballrox

Apparantly you have been to some different private D1 schools than I have.

#1 NFL coaches? First I've heard of it. The D1 privates in the Chattanooga area can barely afford two stipend coaches and the rest are volunteers. By the way, several public schools tha I know of have coaches who are not faculty members.

Ask the booster clubs of most successful programs (public or private) and you'll find that the income of the coaches is almost identical, with a slight advantage going to the public schools.

#2 What makes you think that there are no broken homes in private schools? The only thing that makes any real-world sense in this post is that private schools have more control over the discipline of the students. You are correct there.

#3 Agian, there is no way that you've seen the facilities at Boyd-Buchanan, Ezell-Harding, Grace, Temple or DCA for that matter. Vastly inferior to most, if not all public facilities. Shoot, even Notre Dame ( 3A, in Chattanooga) isn't anything to get excited about.

I stand by everything I've said here. Unfortunately you are standing in most of what you've said here.

I will say the privates with former NFL players as coaches are the D-II schools (MBA, BA, etc.). That is not the same with D-I privates.

That said, what world are you living in? You must not have seen many 1A public schools. Go to Adams, TN and take a look at what Jo Byrns has. They reflect the typical 1A program. I have seen the facilities at DCA. Same with Davidson Academny who just left D-I competition. Much better than your average public school, no matter the classification. They DEFINITELY have better facilities than public schools of their size!

I didn't say their are no broken homes in private schools. I just said much, much fewer. Most of the kids come from stable homes. The level of discipline and stability that are present at private schools is probably the number one advantage they have over public schools. That is a HUGE factor. You act as if it is no big deal. And, in addition to that, the ability of private school kids to go to camps and get private instruction is well above that of your typical public school child. Money makes a difference. Am I saying all private school players do that....NO. BUT, there are many more private school kids who get additional instruction in the off-season than public school kids. The whole situation is apples and oranges.

That said, I like the publics playing the privates with the multiplier in place. I like the idea of playing better competition. It can only make you better if you want to excel.

You can stand by what you have said. However, you can also remain to be ignorant!

I think it is unfair! Having to play up a classification just because your good is not fair at all. Public coaches just complain simply because they were getting out played and out worked, it's just unfair to the kids it's accually rediculous it costs some kids a state title.

I still stand by my statement. It has evened the playing field out and now you are seeing how COACHING can make a difference! :thumb:

I will say the privates with former NFL players as coaches are the D-II schools (MBA, BA, etc.). That is not the same with D-I privates.

That said, what world are you living in? You must not have seen many 1A public schools. Go to Adams, TN and take a look at what Jo Byrns has. They reflect the typical 1A program. I have seen the facilities at DCA. Same with Davidson Academny who just left D-I competition. Much better than your average public school, no matter the classification. They DEFINITELY have better facilities than public schools of their size!

I didn't say their are no broken homes in private schools. I just said much, much fewer. Most of the kids come from stable homes. The level of discipline and stability that are present at private schools is probably the number one advantage they have over public schools. That is a HUGE factor. You act as if it is no big deal. And, in addition to that, the ability of private school kids to go to camps and get private instruction is well above that of your typical public school child. Money makes a difference. Am I saying all private school players do that....NO. BUT, there are many more private school kids who get additional instruction in the off-season than public school kids. The whole situation is apples and oranges.

That said, I like the publics playing the privates with the multiplier in place. I like the idea of playing better competition. It can only make you better if you want to excel.

You can stand by what you have said. However, you can also remain to be ignorant!

With football season over I had decided to leave the boards for awhile but I feel I need to respon to this. First, I went to a parochial school which, by definition, is private as they charged a tuition. I have also taught and coached many sports in public schools for 15 years.

That said, I want to address your arguments. I have met many professionals from different sports giving their time to public schools as coaches over the years. Yes some of them were professional football players. I know because I've coached against a few of them that you do not have to be a teacher in the school or school system to even be a head coach of a sport, including football. The idea that these former professional players are going to private schools for the money is silly. No private school could afford them.

Second, I HAVE seen weight rooms in a few public and private schools. It might shock you to know that there are public schools out there with better facilities than many of the private schools because what you are ignoring is that most of the private schools are parochial or church supported schools, and only a few of them can afford state of the art facilities. I have SEEN personally weight room facilities in a few public schools that would make many private schools envious.

As I said, I have taught and coached in public schools for 15 years, To say private schools have an advantage over public by parents being better able to afford to send their kids to individual instruction cannot be made as a blanket statement. I have seen many a public school athlete go to multiple camps every summer both individual and team and their parents write the check.

I will finish with this comment. At basketball camp one summer a coach explained how a team had 4 starters on the state champion team that had played at other schools in their school system the year before. He said they were eligible to play because the school system had OPEN ENROLLMENT and that allowed athletes to transfer within the system without having to sit out for a year. I still don't fully understand how that works but I remember a few years ago a public school SYSTEM put on probation by TSSAA for recruiting violations.

I think your real issue is that rural and urban schools have a hard time keeping up with surburban public schools.

Do not expect me to respond to any comments as I will only occasionally look in on coacht for the next few months. I'm just too busy.

First off, Most division-1 private schools don't have much better facilities than public schools, and I've seen a lot of public schools that have much better facilities than privates. Secondly, only one, maybe two DIV-2 schools have ex-NFL, or college coaches, and most of their coaches do teach a subject mostly Bible for Christian schools. Third, it's not a crime to be better than another school. If private schools dominated before the multiplier, it was because they were better than the publics. Not because they have an unfair advantage, keep in mind I am talking mostly about Div-1 schools. Maybe the multiplier can be kept, but it should be a lot smaller than it is.

Separate them .....NOW!!!!!

Let the public schools play each other and the tuition schools play each other and the financial aid schools play each other.

Why talk about sending this to a private/public thread when you have them playing each other in regional play.....that would seem a little hypocritical.

It will be interesting with Ronnie Carter's son coaching at a private school....to see where this goes. The votes are there now to separate.

Where does Ronnie Carters son coach? I can't believe he would coach at an evil private school?

"Please tell me of a magnet school that dominates in football? The magnet school is academically based, period.

The privates do have advantages that the publics don't have. The multiplier does even out those disadvantages. It is not unfair. So, YOU need to stop all of YOUR whining!!!"

Hmmmm. Somebody needs a nap!

That would be Tyner (and they are a great football team!) and my post mentioned magnets AND open zones, dude.

Please, can you tell me what real advantages (not PERCEIVED advantages) that private D1 schools have that do not also apply to magnets and open zones? Not whining-just answering devils' question.

Preach on brother!!!!

I know 37421, 37421 is a friend of mine, and you sir are no 37421.

You were making an arguement about retired NFL players as coaches in your prior post...now you say that it doesn't apply. So you are making some progress toward reality.

I think you are right about more broken homes in public schools, but it's unfortunately pretty common in ALL schools these days. Money does make a big difference. Most of the families of the D1 private schools have much less of it because of the big tuition bills they pay. They have to here in Chattanooga because the public school system is in shambles. I know many parents that do not fund retirement plans, take no family vacations, work extra jobs or the grandparents pay so their kids can get a quality education. As far a discipline the Christian based private schools often take in kids that were kicked out of the public schools and tries to make a difference in the childs life...mostly by loving the child first, then educating them. We have dicipline problems also and more often than not go the extra mile to try to save the student having (or causing) problems. This is not for sports but because it is the right thing to do.

Our facilities are the worse we play in. Our kids have to dress in shifts because there is not enough room in our locker rooms. Please do not talk to the D1 privates about how much money we have. With that said everyone enjoys playing the privates with the multiplier. After all we are now half your size. Whatever classification you are in multiply it by 1.8 and go play in that classification for a season, then come back and we'll talk.

With football season over I had decided to leave the boards for awhile but I feel I need to respon to this. First, I went to a parochial school which, by definition, is private as they charged a tuition. I have also taught and coached many sports in public schools for 15 years.

That said, I want to address your arguments. I have met many professionals from different sports giving their time to public schools as coaches over the years. Yes some of them were professional football players. I know because I've coached against a few of them that you do not have to be a teacher in the school or school system to even be a head coach of a sport, including football. The idea that these former professional players are going to private schools for the money is silly. No private school could afford them.

Second, I HAVE seen weight rooms in a few public and private schools. It might shock you to know that there are public schools out there with better facilities than many of the private schools because what you are ignoring is that most of the private schools are parochial or church supported schools, and only a few of them can afford state of the art facilities. I have SEEN personally weight room facilities in a few public schools that would make many private schools envious.

As I said, I have taught and coached in public schools for 15 years, To say private schools have an advantage over public by parents being better able to afford to send their kids to individual instruction cannot be made as a blanket statement. I have seen many a public school athlete go to multiple camps every summer both individual and team and their parents write the check.

I will finish with this comment. At basketball camp one summer a coach explained how a team had 4 starters on the state champion team that had played at other schools in their school system the year before. He said they were eligible to play because the school system had OPEN ENROLLMENT and that allowed athletes to transfer within the system without having to sit out for a year. I still don't fully understand how that works but I remember a few years ago a public school SYSTEM put on probation by TSSAA for recruiting violations.

I think your real issue is that rural and urban schools have a hard time keeping up with surburban public schools.

Do not expect me to respond to any comments as I will only occasionally look in on coacht for the next few months. I'm just too busy.

Great post for someone who seems to know the issues. I'm sorry you don't have more time to relay your message....Ronnie Carter needs to hear it.

My DI private school is older than Moses. DOnt talk to me about private schools having better facilites. Since ravenwood is off a state title, ill talk about their facilties. Their school and playing fields are state of the art. Maybe its just bc its new. Its not like all DI privates have huge amounts of money laying around. That is a BAD EXCUSE