MARYVILLE = VALDOSTA, GA

SPLITBACK

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

polls and stats are what poeple bring up when they lose. We haven't lost yet so Maryville doesn't care about them.

We just enjoy being 4A state champs. :thumb:

Thank you for that much-needed logic. Maryville does not compare to Valdosta, but they don't need to -- they're simply the best 4A team in Tennessee, and they have been for much of the past decade. As long as they continue to beat the competition placed in front of them, they're doing the best job they can. There's no need to compare themselves to very different schools in very different states. That being said, I would love to see them play some of Tennessee's top teams in other classifications. Their schedule is rigid and doesn't allow much room for non-region opponents outside Blount County, but it would be interesting to see them perform against Oak Ridge or Dobyns Bennett in a regular-season showdown.

Edited by WesVols

Every year when Maryville wins the state title people start the comparisons. Everyone always says that Maryville cannot compete with the big boys of 5A. Ask anyone that has been in 5A and played Maryville. Several teams that have played the Oak Ridges, and the Riverdales will tell you that Maryville would right there in the mix of the Championship game. We all know that if you compared athletes between Maryville and Melrose that Melrose would have the edge. Maryville has many parts to the game. The almost always have the edge when it comes to the special teams. The still beat Melrose with a below average QB this year. The edge goes to Maryville in coaching as well. The defense stopped the Alcoa tornardoes that has 4 D-1 prospects on offense, as well as the Melrose team with probably the same. I am not sure what others think, but I think that if your top four teams in region 3-4A where in 5A they would be very competitive. Maryville is the best and will continue to be the best no matter what level. I am not a Maryville supporter or fan, but they are the best.

Are they Valdosta's level not sure they are at that level, but getting closer. They don't have that caliber of athlete. Smarter yes.

Edited by LEONARDSLOSERS

Apples and oranges...same ole song. What does it matter if Maryville is a dynasty, if Maryville can play with 5A teams, if Maryville's talent is not as good as other teams..? All of this is just something to talk about because the season is over. Maryville has the the chemistry ,the system, the coaching and the support to be the State Champions in 4A. The same goes for Alcoa, state champions in 2A. All of the comparisons are out of contex. Bottom line,and there are two state champions from East Tennesse, both from Blount county. Congratulations to both schools, players, coaches and fans. By the way I am a county school supporter, but credit should be given where credit is due..... All of this other stuff is just supposition.

Edited by VTEC

Apples and oranges...same ole song. What does it matter if Maryville is a dynasty, if Maryville can play with 5A teams, if Maryville's talent is not as good as other teams..? All of this is just something to talk about because the season is over. Maryville has the the chemistry ,the system, the coaching and the support to be the State Champions in 4A. The same goes for Alcoa, state champions in 2A. All of the comparisons are out of contex. Bottom line,and there are two state champions from East Tennesse, both from Blount county. Congratulations to both schools, players, coaches and fans. By the way I am a county school supporter, but credit should be given where credit is due..... All of this other stuff is just supposition.

Agree somewhat...Maryville in the past decade is comparable to anybody in the nation...if anybody knows of a team that has won 5 titles in 6 years out of any classification please let me know...or 6 of 8...the point is that Maryville is the best and that is final...Coach Stevens from OR personally said that Maryville is the best team in the state...ALL CLASSIFICATIONS!!!!...........GO REBELS!!!!

if anybody knows of a team that has won 5 titles in 6 years out of any classification please let me know

MBA (5 of 6): 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003

Nationally ranked three times - 1999 (Top 25 in all the big ones - USA Today, Tony Bianco, PrepNation, Student Sports), 2000 (USA Today), 2003 (USA Today)

Killer schedule that included wins over nationally ranked Bolles (FL) in '99 and Louisville Trinity (KY) in '03

MBA (5 of 6): 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003

Nationally ranked three times - 1999 (Top 25 in all the big ones - USA Today, Tony Bianco, PrepNation, Student Sports), 2000 (USA Today), 2003 (USA Today)

Killer schedule that included wins over nationally ranked Bolles (FL) in '99 and Louisville Trinity (KY) in '03

Thank you for the info...i remember when MBA played Clinton a few times...i can't remember any of the scores but i remember our best running back breaking his collar bone on the first play from scrimmage...I think Clinton got close at MBA one year though.

i remember when MBA played Clinton a few times...i can't remember any of the scores but i remember our best running back breaking his collar bone on the first play from scrimmage...I think Clinton got close at MBA one year though.

Those scores are listed on the MBA pages on the link at the bottom of this post. MBA won 39-14 in 1997 and 38-0 in 1998.

Edited by rollredroll

The still beat Melrose with a below average QB this year.

Hey Leanord.............that "below average QB" for his career is 58 - 2 as a starter. The two loses coming as an 8 year-old. Not too shabby considering he is below average. :thumb:

Edited by MLREB

Having been a student at Valdosta State '71-'75 (before Valdosta State had a football team), I enjoyed attending Valdosta High School's Friday night football games. As a teacher at Maryville, I now enjoy watching the Rebels play. There are some amazing similarities in the two programs. Coach Wright Bazemore and his staff were regarded by many throughout Georgia as the best coaching staff anywhere...many of us feel that way about George Quarles and his staff at Maryville now. Other common denominators include discipline, confidence, the ability to execute consistently, and player development. Even though Valdosta and Maryville have each had their fair share of the super athlete type, both schools have continuously exemplified the total team concept. It doesn't matter to me if one program could be deemed "better" than the other. What matters most is that these two programs have achieved a level of excellence that few others ever experience. I'm very glad that I have got to observe both programs up close.

The still beat Melrose with a below average QB this year.

Hey Leanord.............that "below average QB" for his career is 58 - 2 as a starter. The two loses coming as an 8 year-old. Not too shabby considering he is below average. :P

Our quarterback is much better than average. Average players do not play for Maryville. Its inside - thats where you have to look - and if you don't see it you might not understand it anyway. Our Coaches are Champions at finding players who are Champions on the inside already. They then mold them into what we see on Friday Nights and last Saturday. If all you ever see is Friday Night you will never fully understand our success. Thats why so many can not understand how we win with our "average athletes" . Its not all coaching either...at least not what you see at the games.

By the way, I used to hear similar things when about my oldest when he first started. There were players that were taller, faster, etc - but the coaches knew why he was there and so did I. That is why I love and respect this coaching staff so much and a big reason they have been so successful..they find dogs that have a big fight in them, then they teach them to play with confidence and love.

We keep a copy of "To The Man in The Arena" around. Somewhere next to the Championship rings. ;)