MARYVILLE = VALDOSTA, GA

SPLITBACK

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see, but I bet after 2009 the accumulation of gold balls will slow down a little bit for the Rebels.

As far as Valdosta, the comparison isn't even close. They won all their titles in the highest classification in GA. Tallahassee Lincoln is usually added on to an already tough schedule and in the 50's and 60's they would invite state champs from other states to come play in the peanut bowl to conclude the season.

Edited by Redtwin

[quote name='BHSfootball' date='Dec 4 2005 - 04:24 PM' post='825858818']

Maryville will have to go to 5-A soon. I think that will make their runs slightly harder.

Unless the population in Maryville stops growing, not likely, Maryville will go to 5A in 2009. Of course the runs will be more difficult but if GQ is still coaching at MHS don't be surprised if they don't stack a few more gold balls up. What they did this year was incredible.

When they quit dodging the "elitte" 5A competition in favor of beating the same cream puffs every year....then they become "elite".

Yeah.....they won the title again this year....but in the big scheme of things... Im not so sure they beat many other teams (Ravenwood, LA, or Trousdale) that were in the finals.

Maybe someday they can get some respect in TN.....when they step out...step up and play the Big boys.

Having been a resident in both cities, it is apples and oranges to me...the Valdosta teams of the 70's and 80's were a different game in a different time. As of today, VHS is not even the best team in their own town as the Lowndes High Vikings have won the State championship three times (99, 04, 05) since the last Valdosta championship (1998) Georgia went to five classifications in 2000. VHS has not won a 5A championship yet as Lilburn Parkview has reeled off a few and won National Championships. Were they the best in their time? You bet. but one would be exteremly hard presses to find a streak like Maryville has had since the late 1990's

Also Valdosta has won three in a row two times, Class A (51, 52, 53) and AAA (61,62,63) and won 6 titles in 9 years. If Maryville can match that, I would side with the Rebs. I really LOVED living in both towns, Maryville VS Alcoa and Valdosta VS Lowndes are both something very special to HS football and I was blessed to have lived through both.

When they quit dodging the "elitte" 5A competition in favor of beating the same cream puffs every year....then they become "elite".

Yeah.....they won the title again this year....but in the big scheme of things... Im not so sure they beat many other teams (Ravenwood, LA, or Trousdale) that were in the finals.

Maybe someday they can get some respect in TN.....when they step out...step up and play the Big boys.

The only people who don't respect them are the jealous ones like yourself. Alcoa is hands down the best football team I personally got to watch in TN this year regardless of classification or division, and if Maryville was able to spank them then as bad as they did, then they are a pretty dang good team.

Edited by Solomon

VHS recently fired Head Coach Mike O Brian after an 8-3-1 season and a seven year record of 70-20-1. They definately hold high expectations. VHS is suffering from a deteriorating quality of education and the increasing difficulty of getting in UGA. Many families that used to send their kids to VHS are opting for Valwood or Lowndes to help get in UGA.

Maryville High School rankings....

*unapproved website - Maryville #1 in TN (ALL SCHOOLS), #17 in the U.S.

*Tony Bianca - Maryville #1 in TN (ALL SCHOOLS), #8 in the Southeast Region, #20 in the U.S.

*Prep Nation - Maryville #1 in TN (ALL SCHOOLS), #8 in the Southeast Region

*The Sports Report - Maryville #1 in TN (ALL SCHOOLS), #1 toughest schedule in 4A, TSSAA Div. 1 Team of the Year

*Ken Massey - Maryville #1 in TN (ALL SCHOOLS)

*Elmo Branum - Maryville #1 in TN (ALL SCHOOLS)

*Prep Performance Ratings (Earl Noll) - Maryville #1 in 4A

*Sonny Moore - Maryville #1 in 4A, #2 in TN (ALL SCHOOLS)

*CoachT - Maryville #1 in 4A

Edited by STARSNBARS