Attendance at State

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is so diluted now with 8 State champions that the days of the 20,000 plus crowds for a game are forever gone. If you can get 10-12,000 for a game now , you should count your blessings.

I saw where Valdosta Ga. won the AAAAA title game in front of about 11,000, so its being watered down in many states.

It is so diluted now with 8 State champions that the days of the 20,000 plus crowds for a game are forever gone. If you can get 10-12,000 for a game now , you should count your blessings.

I saw where Valdosta Ga. won the AAAAA title game in front of about 11,000, so its being watered down in many states.

Lowndes Co ( in Valdosta) won the 5A title over Brookwood. They play the game at the higher seeds home field and being that Lowndes was a heavy favorite, the low attendance isn't too surprising. If you get two Atlanta schools playing in the city, they'll still pull 20,000 plus.

I am a Maryville native that spent 6 years in Oklahoma. I've been back in Maryville for 1 year now. I went to a couple of 6A State Championship Games while I was in Oklahoma. One year we (the school system my kids attended) had around 37,000 for the championship game at the University of Tulsa. TU's stadium holds around 44,000. Both teams were from Metro Tulsa and both are very large schools. What also contributes to the attendance is the fact the OSSAA uses cross bracketing. The 6A game was the only show in town that night. The OSSAA will move the championship to a location that is close to both schools if they are in close proximity to each other. This years 6A game was in Norman at OU. They also play the semifinals at neutral sites. It would have been nice to play MO West in Neyland. Cross bracketing would be hard to do in TN as far as the whole state but they could do and East cross bracket and a West cross bracket. Another factor is Oklahoma has fewer schools in each classification. The OSSAA states that the largest 32 football schools will be in 6A the next 32 5A the next 32 4A then it gets tricky. 3A and 2A have 64 schools each and an extra week of playoffs. In 6A they have 4 districts (we call them regions) with 8 teams. The problem with this is that 6A is dominated by a few "Super Schools" at the top end of the enrollment. I am talking over 4,000 for Broken Arrow High School, over 3,200 for Union High School and the high 2,000's for Jenks High School. The 6A title has only been won by UNION or JENKS for the last 10 years. My point-I think cross bracketing would help.

Does anyone know the attendance numbers for any of the games

Ravenwood vs. Oak Ridge seemed to have a pretty big crowd any specifics on that one?

You can find the attendence numbers at the following link. Click on "statistics" for each game and you will see the attendence just above the linescore.

http://www.tssaa.org/2005Champions/StateFo...l/bluecross.htm

Edited by HTV

I would think that Wilson Central played in 2 games with more attendance than the 5-A title game is listed at...Gallatin, Riverdale. It's hard to believe that only 5500 people showed up for the 5-A title game. If I had to guess since Ravenwood is a split of Brentwood that Oak Ridge had more fans than Ravenwood but I wasn't there so I don't know the breakdown. Those numbers can't be right when Gallatin played Oak Ridge in 91 there were like 15,000 fans or more and a bout the same amount for both teams. I don't understand the decline maybe the answer lies on TV. Those games weren't televised so if you wanted to see it you had to go. But sure enjoyed watching all 5 games in the comfort of my home. Of course had Gallatin been there it goes without saying I'm the first one in the stadium.

I personally hate that the games are at MTSU. Nice facility & all, but something is lost in the "neutral field." Some of the best memories of my dad revolve around Green Wave football. I can remember in 1978 when we won our first state championship. The road trip was half the fun! Getting out of school early & caravaning to Chattanooga with all the other fans. Signs hanging in the car that read, "Honk if you're a Green Wave fan." Storming the field after the game to celebrate with your team. We even tore down the goal posts. (Sorry, Red Bank)

I also think that the way the playoffs are structured now, the two best teams aren't always in the final game. I guess the TSSAA is more interested in the playoff pairings leading up to the championship games & not the championship games themselves. They are probably making huge amounts of money the way things are set up!