drumline

MaVsSoCkR3

I agree McGavok year in and year out has a very good line. Karns from Knoxville had a really good line in 2003. But let's talk about the small bands. In the small band category, McMinn County (or at least they have been small when I have seen them) and Oliver Springs have great lines every year. OS gets the most out of their talent, and play some really difficult stuff.

Edited by dukefanatic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

let's break this down size wise.

big/medium bands: McGavok, DB, LaVergne, Father Ryan

small bands: Adamsville, East Robertson, Oliver Springs

also, are we going to compare difficulty or just excitement?

excitment, it is hard to compare with the show style bands like Austin East, (Like drumlines in the movie drumline).

if we are talking difficulty, then groups like LaVergne and McGavok(big/med bands) usually play some really hard stuff. McGavok almost always has a really strong snare line. in small schools I have heard OS play, and they really play some stuff. and when you talk about a really small school that is pretty amazing. also, every year they seem to really have some crazy tenor stuff going on. i would rather watch a line play some really hard stuff, and be clean, than see a line play easy stock arrangements and not be challenged and be really clean.

but hey, that is why we all have our opinions. ;)

Let's remember that there is a difference between Winter Drumline, and just Drumline. A lot of schools, especially smaller ones, do not have the numbers to do winter drumline. At the same time, some of the smaller schools get the most "bang for their buck" so to speak, in the fall marching season. That is, they combine talent with difficulty, and pull of some exciting things. I appreciate both small groups and larger ones as well. The bigger the group, the harder it is to stay clean. But that doesn't mean the parts are always more difficult. It all boils down to this; did you have fun and enjoy playing while you were out there, and it did it entertain someone else. We play for ourselves and the fans, and what judges and other people think are like the icing on the cake. :thumb:

Crossmen Drumline ’97-‘99

Edited by IBEXPercussion