Titans To Draft Third

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly obvious that Houston picks Reggie Bush.

Then New Orleans will take a certain QB from USC. . .

At this point, if Vince Young comes out, that's who the Titans take.

But if he doesn't, and the world is opened up for them, who should they take?

Posted this five hours ago on the other 2006 DRAFT thread....

Here's my two cents:

Reggie Bush is the best all around player in college football. He can catch, run, and return kicks. Leinart is the best QB, find something bad to say about his 37-1 record.

The Texans do not need Bush. They need an OFFENSIVE LINE. Davis is a steady RB and with some blockers Carr might be able to stand up enough to throw some TD passes.

New Orleans needs a QB so do they take Leinart? It wouldn't be a bad pick for them but I think it would almost take his pro career to the toilet straight away. Let the Danny Weurffel comparisons start now. I feel sorry for Matt already.

Now your beloved Titans. Where do they begin? Many people are bitching about Steve McNair, are they a QB away from winning their division? NO. Just as the Texans, they have no O-Line, terrible secondary, and they radio guys are saying the only LB to be back next year will be Bullock. We're not even going to mention the awesome receiving corps. Vince Young will not be a good pro QB. Write that down. He did have a good bowl win LAST YEAR vs. Michigan but that's his only quality win. If he somehow beats USC I might change my opinion on him. But the point is the Titans do not need a QB. What should they do with the 3rd pick? I don't know, I haven't checked on the top linemen and db's yet but that is where I think they should go. :thumb:

Goldenboy, I agree with your assessment of the Texans 100%. I personally think they should trade down and try to stockpile 1-3 round picks. (To....Dallas maybe, hence my theory of Leinert becoming a Cowboy????????) I'm just thinking a team drafting 10-20 or so that needs a QB or RB to make the jump so be a Super Bowl caliber team can't help but trade up to get one of these guys. And I know this is crazy since the Texans went 2-14, but they aren't that far off from being a playoff potential, really! They don't need skill positions, they need the role players.

The Saints.......who in the heck knows what they will do. Yes, they need a QB, and I hope that Leinert (olr any other QB for that matter) doesn't go there. But the ownership has nothing in mind but moving the franchise.

For the Titans........I don't have a clue. They need to draft a QB to start molding, but is there a second one worthy of being drafted this high? Manning started something a while back by staying for his senior season in college. I think that QBs have learned that they can be much more successful by having that maturity and more knowledge of the game. I don't think Quinn or Young comes out. That leaves....Cutler? Is he worth the #3 pick? I think he's a mid first-rounder, but not #3.

I disagree with some your opinions the receiving corps is young but has the potential to be one of the best in the NFL in a few years with Brandon Jones, Roydell Williams & Courtney Roby. Tyrone Calico still has the potential but his time with Titans is running out he better show his stuff this coming season! I think all they need is another veteran to go with Drew Bennett to help teach the young guys.

I also disagree about the secondary Pacman Jones is going to be a bigtime playmaker anyone with since can see his potential if the Titans think Renaldo Hill can be the guy on the other side then they need a bigtime Free Saftey to help Tank Williams back there maybe a Greg Blue from Georgia or Jason Allen out of Tennessee he might be the best pick as he can play corner as well. Maybe Jimmy Williams from Virginia Tech if Hill can't be the other corner!

-----------------------------------

Now here is my thoughts!!

Here is one choice worth the thought do you trade the #3 pick to the Charger for Philip Rivers and possibly the Chargers 2nd rd. pick?

If McNair is back (I think he will be with a big salary reduction) do you do the above for Rivers to be the starter and McNair being the backup? or Do you trade Volek and a 2nd or 3rd rd. pick or a pick next season to the saints for the #2 pick?

I don't see Billy Volek being in a Titans uniform next year. If none of the above is possible I don't see any qb in the draft worth taking as the #3 pick other than Matt Leinart or if he comes out Vince Young. Jay Cutler is a good QB but a lot of draft boards don't think he is a top 10 pick and I agree.

If they can't get Bush or Leinart.

I say get the #1 player any position and that would be....

D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT (6'5, 294) Virginia

Jimmy Williams CB/FS (6'2, 205) Virginia Tech (Titans could become one of the best secondarys in the league in few years with this pick!)

Mario Williams DE (6'6, 285) NC State (He has declared!)

A.J. Hawk LB (6'1, 243) Ohio State

I think all three of you have excellent posts about this subject. They are consistent, yet diverse enough to give a good overall view of the Titans dilemma.

As far as Lienart, you can't say anything bad about 37-1 record. It speaks for itself. His decision making and management of the ball club is excellent. He is a man amongst men. He matured earlier as a QB than most the others in all of NCAA. My problem is he throws touch passes. If you watch his games or highlights, he never throws bullets. Arm strength ranks very high in the NFL. They like to take a kid with a gunslinger arm and mold them to their offense. The speed of the NFL game usually is too much for most college QB's. Very few get through to a starting role. Being able to think fast and thread passes through the defense on long crossing patterns or throwing out to the flat with bullet like velocity to give your running back or tight end a chance to pick up a few yards is paramount. Weak arms limit possiblities for your offense which factors into the defense having less to worry about. That, in itself, helps the defense focus on short throws and takes the long ball out of the game. If he rolls out of the pocket, the ball is going to be thrown up to 45 yds in front of him, up to 35 yds at 45 degrees to his direction of roll and maybe a lobbing throw back into the direction from whence he came with high odds of being picked off. You draw that outline of potential strike area on the field and the defense can pick you apart.

A stronger arm opens everything up by at least 25% with the capability of stopping and planting a bullet through your receivers numbers on his jersey. It's a game of inches. A few miles per hour extra on the ball can make the difference between wins and losses. Decision making is just as important. Put the two together and you have a Pro Bowl QB looking for the Hall of Fame. I really believe Cutler has all those qualities. He's got all the attributes of a Pro Bowl QB. Whether he is right for the Titans or worth picking in the first round is another question. I would just have to see the combine camp to make a final decision.

The next level is so much faster. I hope Lienart can show he can throw 70 yards down the field in the combine like Cutler can. Cutler said he could throw an NFL ball at least 70 yds in the air on New Channel 5. He said the NFL ball was lighter. When it comes to draft time, we may all be surprise how it turns out. :thumb:

Well here is my 2 cents for what its worth (probably less than a penny)

Houston will trade the first pick to the Jets for more draft picks. Reggie Bush will be in a Jets uniform next season.

New Orleans will draft Matt Leinhart and he will be like any QB that goes to NO and will struggle. I don't care about Leinhart's record in college. Ken Dorsey had a great college career, doesn't mean he is an NFL caliber QB.

Tennessee needs to draft AJ Hawk. They need a playmaker on defense. One that doesn't quit or runs his mouth to much. He will make the LB corps 10 times faster and improve. Look for a possible trade with a team for Volek, to get a few more draft picks or a veteran reciever. Volek for Dolphins 1st round pick or Ricky Williams would be nice. With the Dolphins pick the Titans could pick up Lendale White from USC if he comes out. White will be a better RB than Bush, IMO.

This draft is hard to project as there is only one realy standout player in Bush (still not sold he will be an every down back in the NFL. I think teams will draft off needs and not the best available player. Cutler will not get drafted in the top 5.

Edited by Gerry Bertier

Well here is my 2 cents for what its worth (probably less than a penny)

Houston will trade the first pick to the Jets for more draft picks. Reggie Bush will be in a Jets uniform next season.

New Orleans will draft Matt Leinhart and he will be like any QB that goes to NO and will struggle. I don't care about Leinhart's record in college. Ken Dorsey had a great college career, doesn't mean he is an NFL caliber QB.

Tennessee needs to draft AJ Hawk. They need a playmaker on defense. One that doesn't quit or runs his mouth to much. He will make the LB corps 10 times faster and improve. Look for a possible trade with a team for Volek, to get a few more draft picks or a veteran reciever. Volek for Dolphins 1st round pick or Ricky Williams would be nice. With the Dolphins pick the Titans could pick up Lendale White from USC if he comes out. White will be a better RB than Bush, IMO.

This draft is hard to project as there is only one realy standout player in Bush (still not sold he will be an every down back in the NFL. I think teams will draft off needs and not the best available player. Cutler will not get drafted in the top 5.

I agree with most everything your claiming Gerry but I'm having a problem with WHEN the Titans get a QB. For things to go the way you charted, the Titans would have a lot of back door negoitiations to position themselves to be sitting where they need to be to get a decent QB. I'm still hearing Vince Young's name being thrown around on the radio for Titans to pick because he and McNair are good friends. I think the real question is what does Norm Chow think? Keeping McNair around with a big payday to bring up a QB makes about as much sense as training wheels on a four wheeler. Norm Chow's biggest accolades are the QB's he's brought through his systems. I think Norm is the big key for the QB decision. If they keep McNair for anything more than $10 million, it's just pure cronyism. :rolleyes:

I`ll go out on a limb and say the first two picks are traded. I don`t think Houston really needs a RB. Davis had right at 1000 yards and only played in 11 games. He`s not a bad RB. If they don`t trade though I think it`s Bush for them.

I`m not sure if the Saints are willing to pay what it will take to sign Leinhart. I see them trading down. They aren`t the Saints for no reason. They`ll pas on the number 2 pick IMO.