Powell's Larry Stephens Resigns as Head Coach

PowellFan

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a shocker, evidently even HTV didn't know this one was coming! I'm sure HTV can shed some light on this subject. I even think wild rooster reported this back before Christmas, but HTV said, no way, he had spoken to Coach Stephens and he told him he was not going to resign.

What a tangled web we weave!!!

Where is HTV? He knows all there is to know about powell and he made it very clear that Mr. Stevens was NOT going to resign. He says he got that info from the horses mouth just a few weeks ago. What gives?

I'm right here. What I posted here was what I had been told. Evidentially Larry had a change of heart, and I believe that.

The defensive coordinator is Phil Wilks (no e in Wilks). I don't know if he will apply for the position or not. What i've been told leads me to believe that he won't. Matt Lowe, offensive coordinator, will apply from what I hear. I don't believe anybody else from the current staff will apply.

There will be no shortage of applicants. The last time the job was open inquiries were made from as far away as Texas and Florida. With the support the community gives the Powell football program it is a very coveted job.

Powell will hire a good coach, be it a promotion from within or bringing somebody in from outside the program.

Kinda saw it coming. Larry tried to do this at the beginning of the year...still don't believe his reasons for doing so though.

Bearden is also looking for a coach. Any word on who might replace these two...I know of one at Powell that stands a good chance.

Anyone care to start the yearly Darryl Smith rumor?

Kinda saw it coming. Larry tried to do this at the beginning of the year...still don't believe his reasons for doing so though.

Bearden is also looking for a coach. Any word on who might replace these two...I know of one at Powell that stands a good chance.

Anyone care to start the yearly Darryl Smith rumor?

Daryle is not a candidate for any head coaching position. He told me that on the phone yesterday. With Lee going on to college football he wants to have time to watch him play. That's tough to do when you are a high school coach. Just ask Phil Wilks that question.

HTV, you are the biggest supporter in Powell and we all appreciate your honesty and love of Powell football. Who would be in your top 5 for replacing Stevens? I know that they heve to find someone that you respect and can work with.

Honestly, it's too early in the process to even formulate any kind of "top 5" list. Larry just resigned yesterday. The position has to be advertised for two weeks before applications can even be accepted.

The only person i've heard who is definitely going to apply is Matt Lowe, and he should. He's a Powell grad and will be a head coach one day. If now is that day remains to be seen.

Personally, i'd like to see Phil Wilks apply for the position, but i'm not sure he wants to take on the added responsiblities of being a head coach at this point in his career. Phil is a fine man and a good football coach, to boot.

Like I said before, the Powell job is a good one. Whoever is hired will be a quality football coach. I have all the confidence in the world that Mr. Majors and Mrs. P will find the right man for the job.

Edited by HTV