Shot Clock, should we?

15 NWTF 08

The queston came up between me and a few of my buddy's at the ball game last night. Why not a shot clock, a few answers came up and thoughts were exchanged, but we never really came to a conclusion. I saw this one team pass the ball aroung for 5 minutes one time, it was crazy, it went on forever. College has one, but does HS seriously need one..it would be diffrent, it would change the pace of the game, might make even better competition, but i dont know if we should have one or not, i cannot make up my mind on this one.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The queston came up between me and a few of my buddy's at the ball game last night. Why not a shot clock, a few answers came up and thoughts were exchanged, but we never really came to a conclusion. I saw this one team pass the ball aroung for 5 minutes one time, it was crazy, it went on forever. College has one, but does HS seriously need one..it would be diffrent, it would change the pace of the game, might make even better competition, but i dont know if we should have one or not, i cannot make up my mind on this one.

I say no, if only for financial and logistical reasons. Many of the smaller schools have a very limited athletic budget, and purchasing two shot clocks would be rather expensive. Add to it that it is difficult to find a competent scoreboard operator and scorekeeper as it is, you'd also have to find a third person to keep the shot clock.

Seven states do use it currently -- some for boys only, some for girls only, and some for both. A more practical solution would be to reinstate the old rule that the team that is trailing has to initiate the action or risk being called for a technical foul.

This was discussed at length in a thread about a month ago.

Im a purist at heart, and to have a shot clock would take away from the flow of the game and just how a normal high school game goes. I realize that some teams will just stall the ball for the sake of doing it, but I dont believe it happens enough where it warrants having a shot clock.

There is no reason not to have a shot clock. Not having a shot clock allows teams with the lead to just hold the ball until the clock is out. I remember a game at Siegel last year (cant remember who it was against) where the other team held onto the ball for the entire 3rd quarter. It was ridiculous. Too many teams take advantage of not having a clock, that it takes away from the game.

I realize that some teams will just stall the ball for the sake of doing it, but I dont believe it happens enough where it warrants having a shot clock.

Oakland got the lead with 4 minutes to go in 4th quarter vs. Siegel and started to paly stall ball.

I say yes we need one....only way I could see not having one is for financial reasons

If you don't want the other team to stall, then don't get down. There is no reason to put a shot clock into the game. Not having a shot clock encourages teams to play better defense and that's what high school basketball should be about.

The game is supposed to be played for 32 minutes. Not for 28 and then stall for 4 minutes.

I think a shot clock would take away the added deminsion that Highschool basketball has in the fact that coaches can use that to be more creative in their game planning which is what I feel makes Highschool sports unique. If you have a less talented team a well executed gameplan can win you the game. I love highschool sports because there is so much diversity in styles of play. Some teams like to run n gun some play ball control half court offense , while others roll the ball out on the floor and say go have fun. Football is the same way every friday night you never know what your gonna see unlike in college and especially pro every team almost has the same playbook. I say no even though it probably would benefit my teams style of play.

Oakland got the lead with 4 minutes to go in 4th quarter vs. Siegel and started to paly stall ball.

I say yes we need one....only way I could see not having one is for financial reasons

Ive seen Oakland stall the ball the few times, Ive also seen it gone the other way in close game where Oakland's opponent would stall it, and I still feel there doesnt need to be a shot clock