AP Polls For 1/16/06

PTSportsWriter

(AP) The Associated Press' Top 10 teams in each of Tennessee's three Division I non-financial aid classifications and in the combined Division II financial aid classification as selected by Tennessee AP-member sportswriters and broadcasters. With first-place votes in parentheses, records through January 16, total points based on 10 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 10th-place vote:

Class AAA

Record Pts Prv

1. Hamilton (9) 14-0 131 1

2. Shelbyville Central (4) 18-2 105 2

3. Bearden (1) 19-1 102 3

4. Red Bank 16-1 82 4

5. Hendersonville 13-1 74 5

6. Siegel 17-3 61 8

7. Franklin 19-3 35 9

8. Hunters Lane 16-2 29 7

9. Antioch 16-3 28

10. Science Hill 18-5 22

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Oakland 21. 12, Beech 20. 13, Wooddale 19.

Class AA

Record Pts Prv

1. McMinn Central (3) 18-1 115 1

2. Liberty Tech-Jackson (9) 18-1 113 2

3. Haywood 17-2 91 3

4. Unicoi Co. (1) 18-2 85 4

5. Bolivar Central (1) 15-5 82 7

6. Austin-East 14-3 59 8

7. Sycamore 14-2 35 6

8. Howard School 17-2 27 5

9. Carver 11-3 24 9

10. South Greene 14-3 19

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Dyer Co. 15. 11, Lexington 15. 13, Alcoa 14. 14, Mitchell 12.

Class A

Record Pts Prv

1. Cosby (7) 16-1 119 1

2. Culleoka (2) 17-1 99 2

3. Grace Baptist Acad. (3) 15-2 98 6

4. Temple (1) 12-2 97 3

5. Clay County (1) 17-2 93 4

6. Summertown 15-3 52 5

7. Adamsville 13-2 47 7

8. Middleton 14-4 28 9

9. Pickett Co. 16-4 24

10. Wayne Co. 16-4 14

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Trinity Christian 13. 11, Friendship Christian 13.

Class II

Record Pts Prv

1. Brentwood Academy (14) 19-1 140 1

2. Evangelical Christian 11-4 65 9

3. St. Benedict at Auburndale 10-6 61 2

3. Webb School-Knoxville 8-7 61 3

5. McCallie 60

6. Memphis Univ. School 58 10

7. Harding 10-7 50 4

8. Elliston Baptist 11-6 47 5

9. Lausanne Collegiate 39 6

10. Baylor 35 8

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Christian Brothers 34. 12, Briarcrest Christian 32. 13, Montgomery Bell 26. 14, Pope John Paul II 13. 15, St. Andrew's-Sewanee 12.

All Associated Press members in Tennessee are eligible to participate in the high school basketball poll. Those who voted for this week's poll are: The Leaf-Chronicle (Clarksville); The Daily Herald (Columbia); Cookeville Herald-Citizen; Elizabethton Star; The Greeneville Sun; Johnson City Press; Kingsport Times-News; The Daily Times (Maryville); The Daily News Journal; The Tennessean (Nashville); The Newport Plain Talk; The Mountain Press (Sevierville); Union City Daily Messenger; WCMT, Martin.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda surprised to see Cosby getting seven first place votes. But then again, I can guess who gave them those votes.

Good to see more voters than last week, though.

That's a sad, sad thought, PTSportsWriter.

Don't second guess the voting system. It's what runs this country. It's just like voting for the Presidency. If you or your local media don't vote your opinion, then don't cry about who is #1.

Edited by GREENEDEVILMOM

In regards to the AA poll, how does a team (LIBERTY) that was ranked #1 last week, and gets 9 of 13 first place votes in this weeks poll not be ranked number one?

With regards to the few AP pollers that put forth the effort, the AP poll is JUNK! It is painfully obvious that some pollers did not do any homework. I would love to see a breakdown of how each individual voter voted. The Jackson Sun published their votes a few times last year. I don't really care for polls, but if there must be one, DROP the media poll and relplace it with a coaches poll. I am sure that the rankings would be more accurate.

Way to go Jackson Sun for failing to vote for the second week in a row! :D

That's a sad, sad thought, PTSportsWriter.

Don't second guess the voting system. It's what runs this country. It's just like voting for the Presidency. If you or your local media don't vote your opinion, then don't cry about who is #1.

I wouldn't exactly liken this to voting for the president.

14 media outlets voted.

I can name the seven that likely voted for Cosby:

the Elizabethton Star, Greeneville Sun, Johnson City Press, Kingsport Times-News, The Maryville Daily Times, The Newport Plain Talk (for which I vote for) and the Mountain Press.

The rest of the outlets are from West TN (4) and Middle TN (3).

And those seven votes are split from 4 other teams from those regions (with the exception of Temple, located in Chattanooga).

The AP Polls are much like the Coaches Poll (especially, the final one) in College Football. Coaches from other regions putting teams in their region ahead of the others (ie: Big 12 over Pac 10) to get a nod in the BCS. The same thing happens with the majority of AP Pollsters.

East TN voters more times than not give the nod to a team in East TN over Middle and West and so on and so forth.

And thats why I dont put much credence into the results of the polls. I vote, yes, because its fun - but the polls don't mean a thing. Especially in basketball. A good night or a bad night doesn't neccessarily mean who is the better team or not. Prep basketball in this area is more about good/bad nights and match-ups.

I dont think many coaches or players care about the polls. Most coaches would probably like them to be done away with, because the wind always blows harder at the top of the moutain.

In regards to the AA poll, how does a team (LIBERTY) that was ranked #1 last week, and gets 9 of 13 first place votes in this weeks poll not be ranked number one?

With regards to the few AP pollers that put forth the effort, the AP poll is JUNK! It is painfully obvious that some pollers did not do any homework. I would love to see a breakdown of how each individual voter voted. The Jackson Sun published their votes a few times last year. I don't really care for polls, but if there must be one, DROP the media poll and relplace it with a coaches poll. I am sure that the rankings would be more accurate.

Way to go Jackson Sun for failing to vote for the second week in a row! :D

Anytime you do a poll - there is controversy to be abound.

Coaches wouldn't do a poll, most likely.

Coaches would rather be #1 in March, not January.

The rest of the outlets are from West TN (4) and Middle TN (3).

And those seven votes are split from 4 other teams from those regions (with the exception of Temple, located in Chattanooga).

Grace Baptist Academy is also located in Chattanooga.

I'm not here to say Grace is #1, but I do have an observation. How can Temple recieve a #1 vote when Grace beat them twice in a week? They played two even games, but Temple has lost both of those games. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Grace Baptist Academy is also located in Chattanooga.

I'm not here to say Grace is #1, but I do have an observation. How can Temple recieve a #1 vote when Grace beat them twice in a week? They played two even games, but Temple has lost both of those games. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Prolly based off there reputation? But GBA is still ahead of Temple in the poll!!!