MS. BASKETBALL

raynoc

If my memory serves me well, jetradioman, I think I attended games at CCHS when your fans taunted B Jackson and then your coach voted against her for MVP in district. You once again desired a Lady Jet to be better than a Bearette. Miss Jackson went on to be Miss Basketball and a Lady Vol. The Lady Jet went where?

I think your crowd sincerely believed that you had a better player. Once again you hold that same belief, which is your right. I didn't have the opportunity nor the desire to drive up the mountain to watch the game this year. However, I did have the opportunity to attend the game in Smiddy Arena. You are correct in your assertation that Foster's team defeated Pickel's. It was the team that won, not Foster. Pickel carries a team on her shoulder and is the victim of many double teams. She faces that each and every game, yet still somehow maintains a 25 or better scoring average, leads her team in rebounds and is the leader. How many doubleteams does Miss Foster face? Yes, she has the assists. She has a team that is loaded with talent to work with. I watched Miss Pickel direct a team to the region championship a couple of years ago, which I do believe is as far as Miss Foster has ever gotten. Now, I am certainly not saying that either should be candidates for Miss Basketball. That is a very coveted award and should be taken seriously. I do think if stats are a consideration, which it most definitely is, that I have ideas of who the candidates may be. Baconbreath seems to think that only one from East Tennessee will be chosen as a finalist. If that should be the case, I certainly don't think Foster or Pickel will be chosen over Miss KeKe. By the way, kudos go out to her for her breaking her school's career scoring record. When Jackson was a junior, there were two candidates from East Tennessee--Gist, along with Jackson. They were from the same district. Several years before that, two East Tennessee young ladies were candidates, both coming from the same high school. Geren and Redman-Green. So, in my Bradley County native heart I hope two from East Tennessee get the nod. Pickel would be a deserving candidate, as she is an All-American, a team leader, and is currently ranked third in the state by sportswriters. One thing though, Mr Radio that we all need to remember is that this honor is chosen from the entire state and you, nor I have seen all the players in the state. Miss Butler from Walker Valley is a very fine player. Miss Smith from McMinn County(sister to Jujuan at UT) is also very good. If Kerri Simpson had not been injured, she could possibly have made the list. And, of course Foster. She is a very fine player, I will admit. But is she one of the three best in the state? I will admit that I have only seen those players who travel to either Walker Valley, Bradley, or Cleveland, so I am in no position to make the call. In your opinion, she is the best. In my opinion, she is not. In reality, neither of our opinions matter one tiny speck. Actually, this thread in itself is quite senseless. I believe it may be a shock to all when names are named. There will be more than one girl named that has never been mentioned on this board. Mark my word.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAA winner Keke Stewart from Oak Ridge.

finalists should be Jackie Pickel as definite finalist and either Mooney, Foster or a Memphis girl as the third finalist.Don't know about AA but the girl from TN Temple should be a finalist in A. Throw out some stats from these candidates

You wanted some numbers for "the girl from TN Temple", her name is Danielle Rector. Danielle is a junior and she exceeded 1,000 pts as a sophomore, has averaged a double double since her freshman year and has obtained 2 "triple doubles". Recently she broke the school record for points in a game with 47 pts and only played about 25 minutes. This was accomplished with only 1 3pt field goal.

You need to look at her numbers against succesful opponents such as Tellico Plains (20 pts), Walker Valley (31 pts), Unaka (32 pts), GPS (25 pts), Copper Basin (27 pts), South Pittsburg (29), Chatt School Arts & Sciences (41), Copper Basin (28), and Lookout Valley (31).

Her free throw average is 72% she is shooting 54% from the floor. Danielle is on the Honor Roll at Temple and is a member of the National Honor Society.

Her strength on the floor only compliments her strengths and abilities off the floor.

Without a doubt she should be highly considered for Class A Ms. Basketball.

I apreciate you opinion Lady Raider, and believe it or not i'm in partial agreement with you. However, I don't feel im being a homer in this one. It wouldn't matter what team I was affiliated with I would think of Foster as being a front runner for the award. Im also being very consistent in that I felt the same way last year about Holly Rodgers. If you have the ability to carry your team on back all the way to the State tourney you deserve consideration. I like the Foster-Rodgers comparison, and I feel that Ive been very consistent in my opinions. Most of the time im an admitent homer, but not on this I just feel that night in and night out Foster is the most consistent ball player in AAA. Oh, and I wasn't about to even begin compariong anybody to Cait Macmahan so lets not falsely illustrate the opinions of others! K?? :thumb:

Jet - I think you have a great handle on the publicity / team ranking thing. When you look at stats and impact on the team, Danielle Rector from TN Temple (Chattanooga class A district 5) has the numbers and the impact to be mentioned with any of these girls listed here. No doubt they are great players, but they aren't the ONLY great players.

Even when Danielle's numbers outshine everyones she gets little or no press for it. And she consistently carries her team as a Junior and has for 3 years.

All of these players are great players and all deserving but sometimes you have to look past your own back yard. Junior Dawn Evans of Clarksville-Northeast. The team lost 4 starters and a sixth man from last years 31-5 team. The point gaurd is the only returning starter. Stat line after 21 games.

23.7 p/pg 7.3 assist/pg, 3.27 steals/pg, 53 3pointers made. # 1 in almost every major category in Middle Tn. Team Record 17-6. sought after by over 70 DivI schools. and she was invited to Mike White's Adidas Top Ten Camp, Arguably the largest girls camp in the country. Its easy to say that a player is good but colleges know talent when they see it. After all it is their bussiness to know. Those other players obviously good but Evans should definitely be in the conversation.

Great posts...great points made for our respective choices. This debate has gone on since the existence of the game and will go on just as long...and it's necesary, because the fact of the matter is that this is not an apple and apple comparison...never has been, never will be...hence our debate.

Again, these posts are good. There are two primary exceptions I'd take to these posts, though. First is that too much attention is given to the points scored stat. Scoring is the most abused stat in the game. Second, is that Bradley's Pickel carries her team. There's no such thing as a one man (or woman) team..."never has been, never will be". This point is not debatable. That kind of talk is wrong and will do nothing more than alienate a team.

Moving on, Division 5, 3A has to be the most competetive division in the the state. (Bring on the debate.) Cleveland, Bradley Central, Walker Valley, McMinn Co. and Cumberland County. Any of these teams could give any team in the state a run for their money...not just on a good night, but on any night. Among these, there is one that has somehow managed to separate themselves, Cumberland County. They've done it as a team. Incredible girls (Hood, Elmore, Martin, Brown, Henry, Smith, Dishman...and the bench goes on, and the one name that we've seen posted on this thread several times...Casha Foster). This year, these girls will go as far as they choose to go. They're destiny is not in the hands of their competition, they're destiny is in their own hands. Whether they do it is up to them.

Yes, my vote for Ms Basketball is Casha Foster. I argue that she is the best natural talent of any player in the state. Is she tough enough, I don't know. Is she talented enough, yes, no doubt. Carson Newman has landed the best catch in the state...and they know it.

Edited by little1

Great posts...great points made for our respective choices. This debate has gone on since the existence of the game and will go on just as long...and it's necesary, because the fact of the matter is that this is not an apple and apple comparison...never has been, never will be...hence our debate.

Again, these posts are good. There are two primary exceptions I'd take to these posts, though. First is that too much attention is given to the points scored stat. Scoring is the most abused stat in the game. Second, is that Bradley's Pickel carries her team. There's no such thing as a one man (or woman) team..."never has been, never will be". This point is not debatable. That kind of talk is wrong and will do nothing more than alienate a team.

Moving on, Division 5, 3A has to be the most competetive division in the the state. (Bring on the debate.) Cleveland, Bradley Central, Walker Valley, McMinn Co. and Cumberland County. Any of these teams could give any team in the state a run for their money...not just on a good night, but on any night. Among these, there is one that has somehow managed to separate themselves, Cumberland County. They've done it as a team. Incredible girls (Hood, Elmore, Martin, Brown, Henry, Smith, Dishman...and the bench goes on, and the one name that we've seen posted on this thread several times...Casha Foster). This year, these girls will go as far as they choose to go. They're destiny is not in the hands of their competition, they're destiny is in their own hands. Whether they do it is up to them.

Yes, my vote for Ms Basketball is Casha Foster. I argue that she is the best natural talent of any player in the state. Is she tough enough, I don't know. Is she talented enough, yes, no doubt. Carson Newman has landed the best catch in the state...and they know it.

Little1 - I'm encouraged that you have the time and resources to have watched "every" player in the state! If you haven't seen "EVERY" player in the state play ( and actually more than one game) you should be careful in how you word your posts.

There are many girls who probably should be listed here that aren't, because people don't know this place exists or because they are in such small schools that they get even less attention than others.

Is Casha good? Probably. Is she GREAT? maybe... but to say that she has more natural talent than any player in the state? The is probably a reach (but I can't be sure, because I haven't seen her play!).

Little1 - I'm encouraged that you have the time and resources to have watched "every" player in the state! If you haven't seen "EVERY" player in the state play ( and actually more than one game) you should be careful in how you word your posts.

There are many girls who probably should be listed here that aren't, because people don't know this place exists or because they are in such small schools that they get even less attention than others.

Is Casha good? Probably. Is she GREAT? maybe... but to say that she has more natural talent than any player in the state? The is probably a reach (but I can't be sure, because I haven't seen her play!).

DITTO!!!

Edited by givbakr2