Coach of the Year--your picks

katMANdo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Johnson of Pigeon Forge takes a team that was 8-16 a couple of weeks ago and wins 7 in a row including the district tournament title. They are now 15-16 and the #1 seed in the Region. Pretty good job of righting a sinking ship. Congrats to the Lady Tigers on Back to Back District Titles.

Hey, can you Pigeon Forge folks get me some Dollywood tickets without me having to sit through a time share presentation? Hey, it does not hurt to ask. :thumb:

Who are your choices for Coach of the Year at this point in the season?

The coach at DCA would be a decent choice for the coach of the year in AA, he had a great team last year in A ball and although everyone thought they would lose they will be District champs after tonight. They are a good choice for the Region.

But the Coach of the Year in Class AA should be Joey Spann and company at Ezell Harding. Last season he was 14 and 14 and that was single A, They have constantly been the choice to lose every game and yet they keep winning. They are District champs, They will come out and show at the regions but, in the meantime they are 27-1. They have moved up to class AA. Was that William Blount that won their district, in AAA? I think Ezell beat them too....but what do I know?

Who are your choices for Coach of the Year at this point in the season?

For someone to deserve Coach of the Year, it takes hard work and dedication to the team and the program they are coaching for. We have all known coaches like this from time to time, and there are some who year in and year out have to work extra hard and have a gift to coach and teach whether they have talent or not. They work with what they have and stay with the effort, no matter how hard it gets.

One such Coach is Steve Phillips, who coaches the Houston County Lady Irish. The team is 21-8 and just won the District Championship Friday night against McEwen. McEwen is the only team that beat the Lady Irish during the regular season. That game was won by them at the end of the regular season, and one of the team's starters was on the bench with an ankle injury. The game Friday night was a barn burner, and in the end the Irish pulled it off. Coach Phillips did a great job keeping the girls focused until the end. It was a team effort...girls and coach.

Coach Phillips and his team also won the regular season for District 10 A, but he was overlooked as regular season Coach of the Year. He has been coaching a long time....over 25 years, and he doesn't do this for the awards, but I'm sure anyone who accomplishes a great season would appreciate being being acknowledged for that accomplishment. I'm sure he would rather have won that District 10A Tourney Championship Friday night that any coaching award that could be given.

So since you ask :thumb: this is my opinion and since I know this man very well, I feel sure I am right in saying he is one true example of a Coach of the Year....he gives coaching and teaching 110 percent each and every time to coaches a team. He encourages team from the start of the season to the end. Great job Coach Phillips and Lady Irish. Don't stop now....the season is not over yet!