Knox News Sentinel Reports

rcpatriot

The local Knoxville paper reported today that Coach Chris Vandergriff will be retiring his position as the wrestling coach at Halls HS at the end of this season.

Coach V. has always been a huge supporter of our sport, on and off the mat. We wish him well in his future endeavors and thank him for his support throughout the years! :thumb:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COACH VANDERGRIFF HAS DONE A GREAT DEAL FOR THE SPORT OF WRESTLING. NOT ONLY ON THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL BUT ON THE YOUTH LEVEL AS WELL.

THE ANIMAL WAS ALWAYS VERY HELPFUL TO ME WHILE I WAS THE COACH AT SEYMOUR.

CHRIS VANDERGRIFF CAME UP WITH THE IDEA TO HOST THE FIRST STATE YOUTH EVENT IN OUR AREA, AND MAYBE EVEN TENNESSEE'S FIRST STATE TOURNAMENT.

CHRIS GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO "BIG JOHN". I'LL SEE AT THE REGION.

Final take-down for Vandergriff

Chris Vandergriff's 25th season as wrestling coach at Halls High School will be his last.

Vandergriff will continue teaching, but the state tournament Feb. 16-18 in Chattanooga will be his last as the school's head coach.

Vandergriff guided Halls to a large-school runner-up finish in 1990, its best finish as a team.

Vandergriff, who won back-to-back individual state wrestling titles in 1976 and 1977, also coached three individual wrestlers to championships.

If there's a perfect finish to his final season, it would be helping John claim the school's sixth overall individual title.

One of my first memories of High School wrestling is watching Chris (The original Big John) dominating his division. :) When my boys started on the mats (AAU/Future Champions) we ended up going to Halls and there is the former 2x State Champ out there with the small ones helping them learn our great sport. <_< My family has had some great victories :D at his tourneys and some big losses. ;)

He has been a big part of this sport for over 30 years. He has coached some class acts in the past and will leave coaching a class act (Big John).

Good luck to Chris V and his family on his last visit to State as a head Coach.

I saw Coach Vandergriff in '76 ,I guess it was the semis, against Ronald Hale of Maplewood. Ronald was 6'8, 325 lbs. Ronald basically chased guys with outstretched arms, bear hugged them (their arms included), fell to his side and rolled on top. Coach Vandergriff ducked the arms, and took Ronald down and eventually won the decision. Jonah Daniel was in the same tournament (6'4, 280)

As previous posters have mentioned the Animal, you would just have to see him go to believe it.

What a great competitor and contributor to the sport.

KCHS Coach thank you for your compliment. I know Coach Vandergriff and I together worked hard to make wrestling grow in this area. The matches I coached against Coach Vandergriff were always exciting. Over the years he and I have probably broken even, but I can assure you that our matches were never boring, from weighin to the handshake at the end. Chris is a competitor, start to finish, one of his favorite sayings is, "The cream will always come to the top." As a competitor and a class act he is at the top.

Chris your easy going and "let em wrestle" atitude will greatly missed by Region 2.

Dan

Edited by Jackson

i'm happy to see him go. in my opinion he is a very arrongant man. It seemed to me he was in it only for himself and noone else. while wtaching him a dual match he payed no attention to anyone wrestling except for his son.

Regardless if you don't like the man, this isn't the place to express your opinion. Have you said this to his face where he knows who is talking to him?

Very disappointing post.

:ph34r:

Coach V,

Best wishes on a smooth retirement and hopefully a State championship for the Lil son.

You have showed alot of people in this sport how good of a man you are. Sorta like Grizzly Adams, mild mannered and always dependable. One who seemed to never get to bent out of shape regarding the situation, just believed that it would all work out right in the end. Just like gotta luv those deserts at his tournament. Most definately has been a PLEASURE to get to know this man and his family, always a treat to go to Halls or see them at a tourny anywhere. This is not only from Coaching, but also as competiting against on the mat and refereeing as well. You leave a lasting impression on coaches and young officials not to mention wrestlers.