Oakland Baseball 2006

MidTennFootball

Last year, Oakland went thru the ups and downs of a 16-16 season. It was a season plagued injuries, youth and sometimes just plain bad luck. But the 2006 season looks to right all the wrongs of this past season with all the talent Oakland has coming back. Oakland only has 1 senior, which makes their prospects for 2007 even better. Oakland has 4 potential division 1 signees in Drew Fann (Jr), PJ Polk (Jr), Marcus Barnes (Jr) and Tennyson Dodd (So). These 4 will lead the Patriot charge but make no mistake, Oakland's talent and skill runs much deeper than these 4 players. A position by position pre-spring breakdown (hopefully I wont look like too much of a fool.........)

Catcher- Once Oakland gets deep into the season this wont be a problem position but with Colby Fisher out for the first few games and Drew Fann still in basketball possibly, Oakland may have to wing it at this position. The plan is to bring Fisher along enough to where Drew Fann only has to catch every so often, or so thats what Im being told

1st Base- A Bunch of capable players at this position as Mitch Warren, Drew Fann and Tennyson Dodd will all get playing time at this position as the season progressess. All 3 have the ability to go long or hit for average. All 3 will probably start somewhere if they dont start at first that particular game

2nd Base- Looks to be Andrew McGowan's, but with all the switching around Hawks has been doing at this point, this may not come to fruition. Brandon Hawkins and Seth McConnell could challenge for time at this position as well.

Shortstop- As uncertain as I am about Oakland's starter at 2nd base, I'm that certain that Tyler Burnett will be the starter at shortstop, which leads me to a bigger issue, Tyler Burnett is another who I feel can be a a division 1 signee for the Patriots given that his elbow stays healthy, but given his heart and determination, I think he will overcome it and have just a good a future as any Patriot. When I think of Oakland, I think of Tyler Burnett due to his leadership and all-around ability

3rd Base- Looks to be Tennyson Dodd's position as Oakland lost their starter at 3rd last year. Dodd spent most of the season last year as a DH but put up impressive offensive numbers in what basically was half a season. Will be interesting to see if he can keep the numbers up while playing a position this season

Outfield- Mitch Warren and Marcus Barnes should be the starters at the corner positions, while PJ Polk mans the centerfield Polk has the ability to chase down any ball thats still in play on defense, and is a constant worry to opposing pitchers and defenses when on base, hes a gamechanger

Pitching- The water gets a little murky after Tyler Burnett and Marcus Barnes, but thats is more due to the depth that Oakland possessess at this position more than anything else. Eric Renfroe and Brennan Stender are 2 names that come to mind, as well as Brett Wilson. Spring will go a long way in determining who will be relied upon to eat up some innings for Oakland

Edited by OaklandGrad

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler Burnett is definitely a leader on the field. The kid has such a competitive edge. It is unreal!

I am looking forward to seeing this Barnes kid. I am hearing some amazing things about him.

Drew Fann will be as solid as usual. He works so hard at everything he does, and it definitely shows in all he does.

PJ POLK is absolutely fleet-footed. I hope he has healed up from his injury in football. You were correct when you said he is a gamechanger....an absolute force ont he field. He gives pitchers nightmares.

BigMc.....have never seen him play baseball, but the kid is so coachable and aggressive that I know he will be a factor at 2nd.

Guest didyouseethatmessDANG

I definitely agree with you on PJ being a game changer .. his speed and baserunning ability causes much confusion among opposing pitchers and catchers.

good review of this oakland team i think it is a wide open season i think defense has been the achilles heel for this oakland team the past few years if that gets straithgen out then yall will be dangerous

At this point, I think Oakland's only real weakness will be at possibly 3rd. Alot of our problems on defense stem from having to go young at so many times last year, but it will pay off for the last few years