State Duals Location?

cbg

Clarksville and Chattanooga do a great job hosting the State Events.

Now if it is ever decided that the State Events will rotate from Region to Region, Masterblaster, you cannot leave Knoxville off your list. Thompson Boling seats 25,000 (however, their will be a price paid) and the Knoxville Convention center, located downtown, can handle more than 10 mats and can seat, I am guessing, up to 8,000 (probably more)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In another post CHSCOACH mentioned that they have spoke with APSU and they want nothing to do with it. Looks like they have tried that one.

25 years ago, sassylongandlean wanted nothing to do with bear cat on the first pitch. But the persistent bear cat continued to present the merits of the proposed union. SL&L eventually came around to BCB's plan and 2 fine young men are now the result. I'd bet that the true leaders of APU (which may not be only the BBall coach / AD) view themselves as community partners with the city of Clarksville and would be willing to work with the city to continue to host this tourney. I would think that since the tourney has grown, the economic impact to the city is significant. The Clarksville wrestling community should follow BCB's lead and keep pitching - don't take no for an answer. Get that bigger gym and continue to be the excellent hosts you have been in the past.

I think this years State Duals was the best yet. There were more teams and I'm sure by the way the fans were packed in the stands it was the most attended Duals yet. I would assume it was the best year financially as well. The State Duals has grown into such a great event, however I do feel it has outgrown the Clarksville High school gym(s). Move the Duals to a larger facility and add 4 more teams to the AA/A division to allow more wrestlers and fans the opportunity to experience this great event. I think it would be better to host the event at a neutral site such as a college or convention center. Also, Artie Manning should be commended for another great job as tournament director. Coach Manning is a class act.

Can you imagine the uproar we would have if Clarksville would have been winning the Duals all these years in Clarksville? Thank goodness for Bradley! LOL

All right.....just move it down here to the Gwinnett Arena....seat 12,000, holds 12 mats....is a neutral site and we have a pretty good downtown for entertainement.

And.......(this ought to stir you up) the Tennessee State Duals champions are probably already in Gwinnett County! :lol:

(please take this totally tounge in cheek....I'm feeling goofy after just finishing all 5 sets of our state brackets.)

All right.....just move it down here to the Gwinnett Arena....seat 12,000, holds 12 mats....is a neutral site and we have a pretty good downtown for entertainement.

And.......(this ought to stir you up) the Tennessee State Duals champions are probably already in Gwinnett County! :lol:

(please take this totally tounge in cheek....I'm feeling goofy after just finishing all 5 sets of our state brackets.)

Watch it! It wasn't that long ago (at least in dog years) you pups didn't have wrestling.

I am personally for keepin the duals at CHS... Although there are alot of people attending, bear in mind that they also use the smaller gym for matches, and even the cafeteria if they need it. That way everyone is spread out the majority of the time. And when finals comes around, it is only four schools wrestling, because many have left by then, and they pull out a second set of bleachers, so what, exactly, is the problem? It is also a better environment to be COMPLETELY SURROUNDED by your fans when you wrestle, not have them spread out all over the place. It pumps the wrestlers up to be surrounded by screaming fans. It would be very inconvenient to move it to Chattanooga..Clarksville High does an amazing job hosting it, and has done so over the years, so it should remain there.

I noticed that too but didn't want to trot out my superior mathmatical talents.

Actually, I believe having both tournaments in Chattown would help the sport in the state. What more could a kid ask for than to come to the Emerald City for the championships? Can you imagine the incentive of being able to see Chattanooga and having your motel room paid for to boot. Can you imagine anything worse than losing a state wrestling match and having to be in Memphis at the same time! Talk about double jeopardy. Probably has something to do with why The Spring Fling had better attendance even when you take into account several teams had to bring body gaurds to Memphis with them. Don' get me wrong, Memphis is a wonderful town if you want barbeque or to watch ducks in a hotel.

ok, i'm not impressed by this guy, he should just support his city and not start bashing others with worn-out stereotypes

having said that, i agree that the gym at chs is extremely cramped on saturday morning with all 3 tourneys in action at once, but it's already been brought up that austin peay is not a legitimate option at this point because of money, and i think that spreading the duals out between 2 or more high schools complicates the matter way too much. i like the idea of rotating it around the state, but the main problem i see with that is that some years the duals would go to venues which have no experience in hosting a tournament that is already at 28 teams and still growing. alot of ppl are complaining now about the confined space, but imagine how much they'd be complaining if the tournament wasn't effectively managed and ran off schedule, or the order of matches was messed up by a staff without prior experience. personally, i think it's where it should be right now... in middle TN with equal access from all corners of the state and in a venue where you can't argue that is run efficiently and smoothly due to experience.

I'm not sure "even the cafeteria if they need it" is a good point for arguing to keep it at the high school. I can almost guarantee there isn't anybody out there that wants to wrestle a state dual match in a cafeteria.

Well yea thats true, but consider that they used it this year for teams to warm up and such, so if there are , lets say, three teams in there warming up while four other matches are going on, thats three teams worth of people that aren't taking up space in the gym.

Thats a really good idea. I can't believe nobody thought of it before. That way on an extra day or whatever, you wouldn't have that many people because the other teams may have left, along with THEIR fans.. so it isn't AS big of a crowd, but of course, still big none-the-less

Tell me about it, we do our state duals with 5 divisions at one venue, but it is a really big venue in Macon.