Girl in Alaska wins state tourney

stovepipe

I find the argument that becasue the girl wants to wrestle, then we should honor the request because they are brave, just purley simple minded. They do not belong on the mat with the boys.

If a very talented female basketball player wants to play on the boys basketball team, can they? Should they?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of the potential negative repercussions if you allow your son to become this jaded till he views/treats women exactly like men. For example, college aged male is out in public and another similarly aged slightly intoxicated male starts a heated argument. First male gets fed up with second male's mouth and pokes him in the nose - probably not our middle aged recommendation but it happens and society accepts that, "boys will be boys". No broken bones then probably no huge repercussions – the guy was drunk and just wouldn’t leave me alone. Same scenario except the second arguing intoxicated party is female. Hey, girls are just like boys so poke her in the nose. Now envision all the trouble headed his way.

I agree 100% with you. The last line of my argument was a criticism of parents who allow or, worse yet, encourage their daughters to wrestle boys. As I said, it's just plain old perverted.

And, with all due respect, northwest's takedown of takedown3 is spot on. How silly to invoke Brokeback Mountain into this argument. For someone all worked up about Brokeback Mountain and it's inherent issues, look how much more sense takedown's post makes with a few tweaks (and spelling corrections):

"The fact that this is a topic is a comment on how confused early 21rst century American society is. It is only one of many reasons why our sons are under incredible societal pressures which in many cases are placed on them by their very confused parents.

But more to the point - it's just plain old every day perverted. But hey, Brokeback Mountain will win a pile of Oscars and Janet Jackson is considered to be entertaining. So I guess, considering what society will accept today as normative behavior, watching a teenage male perform a Saturday Night Ride on another teenage male in front of several hundred fans is not only acceptable but entertainment. And if his parents care that little about their son, why should the rest of us?"

Gee, thank you for that clarification. Whenever someone precedes a comment with "with all due respect", little will be given. I generally write assuming that most of us on this board have IQ's several degrees above room temperature. I'm sure there is a point somewhere in your response but I'll leave it to someone else to determine what it is. And thank you so much for correcting my spelling. Mrs. Jones, my fifth grade teacher, would be very very proud of you.

OK, so what if there is a boy that really wants to go to GPS or a girl that really wants to go to McC? Is the answer, "there are plenty of other schools that accept boys/girls, go to one of those"? That's certainly a simple logical answer. But there again, there are plenty of other sports - play one of those.

:thumb:

Play middle linebacker or fullback if you want a challenge girls.

girls don't belong on a mat Period. If the the girl is truly messed up to actually want to wrestle, then she should wrestle any other girls that are just as crazy as herself. you see some daughters of coaches that go to the wrestling matches to supprt the team, but none have actually wrestled, because they have enough respect for the sport to leave it to the guys (as it should be).

girls don't belong on a mat Period. If the the girl is truly messed up to actually want to wrestle, then she should wrestle any other girls that are just as crazy as herself. you see some daughters of coaches that go to the wrestling matches to supprt the team, but none have actually wrestled, because they have enough respect for the sport to leave it to the guys (as it should be).

Thewrestler,

Do you honestly believe that a girl wanting to wrestle is crazy, even if it is with another girl. I can kind of understand where the people who want seperate leagues are coming from, even though I am not one of them. I would like to know what makes girls wanting to wrestle other girls crazy, yet guys wrestling other guys are normal. Do girls not have a right to want to prove themselves, without being called crazy. They have shown that they can do jobs once limited to men, why can they not wrestle. Thewrestler, I find your view to be the most closeminded yet. I do not see a girl wanting to wrestle and wrestling as disrespectful. I think it is wonderful that girls have an interest in this ancient and great sport. The olympics have female wrestling, do you think that that should be done away with in order to "better respect" our sport.

Edited by mcwrestler

Thewrestler,

Do you honestly believe that a girl wanting to wrestle is crazy, even if it is with another girl. I can kind of understand where the people who want seperate leagues are coming from, even though I am not one of them. I would like to know what makes girls wanting to wrestle other girls crazy, yet guys wrestling other guys are normal. Do girls not have a right to want to prove themselves, without being called crazy. They have shown that they can do jobs once limited to men, why can they not wrestle. Thewrestler, I find your view to be the most closeminded yet. I do not see a girl wanting to wrestle and wrestling as disrespectful. I think it is wonderful that girls have an interest in this ancient and great sport. The olympics have female wrestling, do you think that that should be done away with in order to "better respect" our sport.

Do the women wrestle men in the olymipics? nah,,,i know the answer. they don't.

I wonder why they don't? hmm....interesting concept, separating the females from the males in physical competition.

Who cares if a girl wrestles? Does it hurt your ego to lose to one? I know it is a lose-lose situation for any male competitors, but I say as long as a female works just as hard as the males in the practice room and receive no special treatment, they should be allowed to wrestle. Title IX is just about the worst excuse for no allowing a girl to compete as I have ever heard.

Obviously this girl deserved to win state and proved it by beating everyone out there. Congratulations to her. State championships don't get handed out; she put the time and effort into it to earn it, which is something I'm sure the majority of the people in this discussion (including myself) have never done. Grow up.

Who cares if a girl wrestles? Does it hurt your ego to lose to one?

Too many people are focused on the "ego" element of this predicament. It's not

about ego, it is far more basic than that.

I have no issue with girls and guys competing up to a certain age......beyond that

age it is not healthy for either kid, the girl or the boy. Young girls and boys mature at different ages as we all know......yet both are continuing develop values

and beliefs throughout MS and HS and it is in these years that this can become

(1) unwholesome, (2) physically dangerous, and (3) just simply an unhealthy ego

trip for either the young lady who might be up against ninth grade boy that is new

to the sport or two for the ripped/shaved head boy that is out to prove a point to

the girl.

Open your eyes people. Competition is intended to be healthy and this threatens

every basic element of such.

I find the argument that becasue the girl wants to wrestle, then we should honor the request because they are brave, just purley simple minded. They do not belong on the mat with the boys.

If a very talented female basketball player wants to play on the boys basketball team, can they? Should they?

Weak debate. Make it football or baseball then we can talk.

The Girl has won because we have 7 pages about this.

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

Weak debate. Make it football or baseball then we can talk.

The Girl has won because we have 7 pages about this.

why make it football or baseball? The girl has won because we have seven pages about it???? What does that mean? Is three pages a tie? and two a loss? LOL......

Edited by texas23