Girl in Alaska wins state tourney

stovepipe

In this day and time, it could be a young man in your scenario.

Take it back 60 or 70 years ago these debates would be over race and religion.

I've seen some young ladies at camps give the majority of the guys great competition. I said good for them! However, last year I saw a young lady from Karns get her nose busted at least 3 X and that made me think if I would want my daughter out there. The young lady was not out for the team this year. So it was not for her.

Let them decide our young men are going to be compting with them in the work force, armed forces and in Marriage. :rolleyes:

Open your eyes the world has changed for most of us.

I have seen/read the comments that relate this sport to the competitive work place. I have been in the business world for quite some time and I have yet to have the first wrestle off for the corner office. Male or Female. I am sorry guys, but that remark just is not even close to being on the mat....errr...ballpark. The business world typically does not include the physical contact that wresling does as a sport. So stop trying to make your argument with such a lame, throw away reason. No one buys it.

Edited by texas23

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this discussion is mute. Its not like you can stop it from starting, Its already here. Sure you can try and reverse what has been going on for years but the reality is simple: no matter how much you do not want to see it, your boys may have to wrestle a girl sooner or later. And in this day and age, I seriously doupt if there is anything anybody can do about it. Might as well roll with the punches and get the boys mentally ready to deal with it.

As far as being inappropriate, in the 70's I had plenty of female friends that thought two boys rolling around together in front of a crowd wearing nothing but leatards was inappropriate. One twisted chick couldn't get enough of it and would sit there with a big smile on her face and laugh and laugh and laugh. That really made us mad and we referred to them as being ignorant. Sound familiar? What's on TV right now readily available to every child in the USA is inappropriate. Two kids trying to beat each other up while their friends and parents cheer them on may seem really strange to some. But what I call it, regardless of the gender or the politics or its relative inappropriatness, is its the best dern sport in high school, period. Lets focus on that reality because other posting your disgust, there is not a whole lot else that you are going to accomplish.

Your disgusted, its duly noted, Now lets deal with it.

I have seen/read the comments that relate this sport to the competitive work place. I have been in the business world for quite some time and I have yet to have the first wrestle off for the corner office. Male or Female. I am sorry guys, but that remark just is not even close to being on the mat....errr...ballpark. The business world typically does not include the physical contact that wresling does as a sport. So stop trying to make your argument with such a lame, throw away reason. No one buys it.

Actually, I think it does apply to some degree. A lot of people have posted their concern regarding the boys moralle and being ruined emotionally because he lost to a girl. Lets face it we will lose jobs, contracts, sales etc. to women, so in a back handed kind of way it does apply.

Actually, I think it does apply to some degree. A lot of people have posted their concern regarding the boys moralle and being ruined emotionally because he lost to a girl. Lets face it we will lose jobs, contracts, sales etc. to women, so in a back handed kind of way it does apply.

Hello! :rolleyes:

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

This argument holds water in support of coed education since the business world is based on intellectual competition unlike wrestling which is a physical competition. Its not an embarrassment for Suzy to make a higher math score then Joey because its a level playing field. Its an embarrassment for a high school developed young man to lose to a girl in wrestling (maybe at 103 its undeveloped boys vs a developed girl). I've seen the best girls wrestling in Fargo and my opinion at that time was that they were incapable of scoring a single point against anyone in the boys divisions. Does anyone really think that a mature male is not designed to be physically stronger then an equally sized mature female minus the miracles of modern science that we witness in some of the Olympic track ladies (Flojo,JJK)?

Here's another:

VIRGINIA'S EASTERN SHORE — High-school girl wins district wrestling title

Northampton 103-pounder pins male counterpart to take crown

By Greg Merritt

Eastern Shore News

EASTVILLE, Va. – Northampton High School sophomore Nicole Beasly wrote a new page in Virginia's Eastern Shore District history book. Wednesday night she became the first female wrestler to win a district individual weight class championship.

Wrestling in the 103-pound weight class, Beasly pinned Nandua's Adam Belote in 3:48 in the championship match.

"It's pretty cool, exciting," said Beasly. "I was a little bit nervous, but confident."

Beasly had defeated Belote earlier in the season while earning a 12-6 overall record. But she was taking nothing for granted in the title match. "It's been a few weeks since I wrestled him and I didn't want to underestimate my opponent. He was better this time."

Beasly earned a takedown and three near fall points in the first period. "I almost pinned him in the first period," she said.

In the second period she recorded a reversal, then quickly put Belote on his back for the fall.

After being declared the winner, she shook Belote's hand, then rushed to the corner where here wrestling coaches were waiting with a big hug.

"She earned it," said Northampton head wrestling coach Brian Harman. "We treated her just like we do the boys. There's no difference."

Beasly was one of eight Northampton wrestlers to win district weight class championships as the Yellow Jackets earned the team championship for the wrestling year.

Interesting thread. This issue would be a debate club or law school dream as it would be very easy to argue both sides with passion. I personally favor girls competing against girls but as a father to both boys and girls in the absence of all girl teams or tournaments, I would support my daughter wrestling boys if she chose to do so. As for the boys I coach, the issue has only come up a couple of times and in each case the girls were quicky dispatched so we could focus on the next opponent.

Girls at the high school or even middle school level are simply not competetive with 99.9 % of the boys. It is no coincidence both examples cited of girls winning titles occured in very small population centers and in the 103 pound weight class.

The only push back I would have on the opinions voiced here is the notion that we have to shelter the boys from the mental anguish they could suffer should they lose to a girl. This is a very slippery slope and I think the people voicing this argument have not thought it through. If the "save our kids from the embarrassment of losing to a girl " is reason enough to forbid boy / girl match ups, do we then stop other potentially humilating contests ? We don't have to extrapolate this reasoning too far to come up with some realistic examples. I saw a 9 year old pin a decent 13 year old at a middle school tournament last week. You can bet the older boy's pals are going to give him a pretty good ragging over it. I would wager WV's offspring have administered many whuppings to kids older and heavier than themselves, are we to stop such contests because it is embarrassing for older / heavier kids to lose to those lighter and younger ones ? I would imagine any senior losing to a freshman in the high school ranks would be the butt of some not so good natured ribbing. We always ooh and aah when a kid missing a limb or eyesight beats an able bodied opponent, but little is mentioned about the defeated kid. Again is Mr able bodied's ego reason enough to stop these contests ? Probably some more examples but I think the point is made.

Thoughts ?

This argument holds water in support of coed education since the business world is based on intellectual competition unlike wrestling which is a physical competition.

Not to differ, but...

Vol, I think you and I both know that the best wrestlers are quite intellectual; although strength combined with intellect is usually the deciding factor against higher levels of competition.

Wrestling girls are simply going against what many of our boys are taught from an early age not to do. Is is uncomfortable for many. It's not fair to anyone.

My feeling were reinforced a couple of times now that I've seen a couple of girls carried off the mat strapped to a board due to neck/back injuries off simple wrestling, nothing major or irregular what-so-ever. It was odd and left a dark cloud over the rest of the competition for everyone.

This argument holds water in support of coed education since the business world is based on intellectual competition unlike wrestling which is a physical competition. Its not an embarrassment for Suzy to make a higher math score then Joey because its a level playing field. Its an embarrassment for a high school developed young man to lose to a girl in wrestling (maybe at 103 its undeveloped boys vs a developed girl). I've seen the best girls wrestling in Fargo and my opinion at that time was that they were incapable of scoring a single point against anyone in the boys divisions. Does anyone really think that a mature male is not designed to be physically stronger then an equally sized mature female minus the miracles of modern science that we witness in some of the Olympic track ladies (Flojo,JJK)?

Really, I thought it took some smarts. I thought that Spencer wrestled very smart. :thumb:

Let them compete with the Boy's soccer team, boy's basketball & football and even swim teams for a real challenge. Let's not keep imposing embarrassment on our boys. Not all are that way as I know my boy would pin a girl in less than 10 seconds, he says. I personally would prefer him not to have such close personal contact until the time & circumstances are right. Not in front of 100's of people :thumb:

OK, you say let them compete with soccer, basketball, and football for a REAL challenge... Are you imposing that wrestling is not a REAL challenge? Well, quite frankly I think many people would disagree with this. Isn't it wrestlers that often sport shirts saying that "wrestling is what real men do during boys basketball season."? Well what you says implies that wrestling isnt a REAL challenge. And about the "imposing embarassment." thing. if you are a boy and lose to a legitimately tough gir, you shouldn't be embarrassed. And its not just boys. If I lose to someone I think I should have beat, I am embarassed so don't act like it only goes one way. And the whole 'contact' thing.. Wrestling is a CONTACT sport... and think about it, isn't it more normal to see boys and girls making contact than boys and boys? Hundreds of people will watch two boys grab each other, but it makes them uncomfortable to see it done to a girl? And you "know your boy would pin a gilr in less than ten seconds?" That rarely ever happens, and you shouldn't be so confident.

Edited by NorthwestWrestling112