Girl in Alaska wins state tourney

stovepipe

I coach a very competitive female wrestler. She has earned her varsity spot the past two seasons (neither of which were at 103) and is one of the hardest workers in our room day after day. She has even earned a captain's spot on our team. However....

In my opinion, it is a lose-lose situation for every boy she wrestles. If they win, "Wow, you beat a girl". If they lose...ouch. And we have seen a lot of "ouches" this season. I would much rather see our female athletes facing other females. TSSAA be darned. At least one other state (Texas maybe...somebody help me out) has a female wrestling division. I believe we would have a lot more females interested if it were an all girl team.

Ditto. This is why we have Brad Fiscus :lol:

Let's begin today and promote this new movement.

We are offering an opportunity for girls to compete against girls in Tennessee this year. This is from the Tennessee Wrestling Federation Website:

4th Annual OPEN USGWA TN Girls State Championships - 2/25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...will be held @ McGavock High School in Nashville, TN on Saturday, February 25, 2006. Weigh in will be from 7 a.m. - 9 a.m. with wrestling to start @ 10:00 a.m.

Kent Bailo, USGWA Director

3105 Hickory Ridge Lane

Ortonville, MI 48462

kbailo@tir.com

or call 248-627-8066

Entry fee will be $20 in advance, charging $25 at the door. All entries need to be postmarked by February 18, 2006.

This will be folkstyle rules. National Federation rules book will apply with exception of weight classes.

Medals for the top 3 placers in each weight class & division

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You scared men miss MCwrestler's point. Wrestling will never be overtaken by girls but girls volleyball and girls softball could very well be taken over by boys. Is not a fair comparison. They let boys be cheerleaders and yet they will never take over that sport. You have to look at it in a case by case basis.

And besides, why should we limit this incredible character building sport to just boys. Build more character and self esteem in girls and you will see teen age pregnacy, suicide rates, etc. etc drop to all time lows.

Don't be afraid of the girls, they wont bite.

I am glad someone sees my point. Let me point it another way for some people. Wrestling is more individual, I believe the girl has to make her place on the team and not get cut, like everyone else does. I am not for special treatment, I am for equal oppurtunity. Look at it this way, a 103 lb girl or any other weight makes the team and wins her weight, she can win the 103 lb match, she cannot dominate the 112 119 125 or any other weight class. On the other hand a 6'4 guy joins volleyball, he spikes and outplays the majority of the other team by being more physically imposing and dominating. A guy goes to softball and can put them all out of the park on a mediocre pitcher, not a Britney Hollifield, but an average pitcher. Softball is less drastic than the volleyball though. One tall guy could dominate and improve a team more than one good female wrestler could. I AM NOT A FAN OF TITLE IX IT IS IMPLEMENTED WRONGLY. I cannot stress that enough. It got rid of sports rather than creating.The whole proportionality makes it tough to keep equality. I say it again, there is not enough interest as of now to create a girls division. Untill then they should have equal oppurtunity, NOT SPECIAL TREATMENT. IF THE INTEREST IS OUT THERE I SUPPORT THE IDEA AND ENCOURAGE THE IMPLEMENTATION. The McGavcock tournament is a great start, hopefully it will gain great interest and go from their.

Edited by mcwrestler

Ok, So I have been wrestling for 3 years now, and have hard this argument A THOUSAND times. Girls are going to go out for the team, period. Just get over it. I lose some, I win some. Yes, when I beat a boy, they hear crap about it, but that's how guys are. Once they realize that some girls are just that good, they will be like, "good try man". If I were a boy wrestling 103 and lost to that girl in Alaska, I sure wouldn't be ashamed. The girl is tough, end of story. If I were to go out and lose to a girl, I wouldn't be happy with myself, and would just try harder. I have been doing this so long that I have the mind set of a boy. I don't want to lose to another girl any more than they do, but I sure wouldn't pitch a fit about it. And about the all girls team thing, there aren't enough girls to do that. I couldn't find enough girls in my school to make a varsity line up! there are only about 4 girls in my region, so how do you expect htere to be an all girls team? It would make things more difficult anyway! You would have to find a different practice spot, or practice at the same time as teh boys and take up space. One girl does not make a difference. If a girl is willing to wrestle hard and be tough, let her! If you are concerned about girls just coming out for attention, make them TRY-OUT and see if they can handle it! I have to do everything all the boys on my team do, and sometimes even more because I am naturally not as strong as a boy. And if you want to play volleyball so bad, go and ask. I am sure it could be arranged. And as for there being girls softball teams, they have BASEBALL for boys. So that isn't even a good argument. And lets say I beat an opponent, and he beats another boy. If that boy found out that he lost to someone who lost to a girl, would he hear crap from his friends? Probably not. Its all about looking bad. I would NEVER make somebody fell bad because I beat them. Everyone just needs to grow up. I am not doing this to scream GIRL POWER or anything, I just LOVE wrestling.

... Case in point: Soddy vs. Red Bank Every year, those programs invite girls at their schools to practice for a few weeks to compete at a fundraiser. Sounds silly, but they get serious. Not to mention there are 30+ girls a side that come out. ...

MasterBlaster, you listenin? How about a Farragut vs Bearden girls match for a fundraiser? Thursday nite before the football game next fall. Or maybe the opening act for FHS-BHS wrestling match. What are the chances of getting that by our respective principles?

MB, look me up at Alcoa this wknd. Ask the Ginns, Griecos, or Manns to point out Mark B.

BTW, if anybody's counting votes, I say let the girls wrestle. If I had a daughter, I'd be less worried about what your son was doing to her on the mat than on a date.

Ok, So I have been wrestling for 3 years now, and have hard this argument A THOUSAND times. Girls are going to go out for the team, period. Just get over it. I lose some, I win some. Yes, when I beat a boy, they hear crap about it, but that's how guys are. Once they realize that some girls are just that good, they will be like, "good try man". If I were a boy wrestling 103 and lost to that girl in Alaska, I sure wouldn't be ashamed. The girl is tough, end of story. If I were to go out and lose to a girl, I wouldn't be happy with myself, and would just try harder. I have been doing this so long that I have the mind set of a boy. I don't want to lose to another girl any more than they do, but I sure wouldn't pitch a fit about it. And about the all girls team thing, there aren't enough girls to do that. I couldn't find enough girls in my school to make a varsity line up! there are only about 4 girls in my region, so how do you expect htere to be an all girls team? It would make things more difficult anyway! You would have to find a different practice spot, or practice at the same time as teh boys and take up space. One girl does not make a difference. If a girl is willing to wrestle hard and be tough, let her! If you are concerned about girls just coming out for attention, make them TRY-OUT and see if they can handle it! I have to do everything all the boys on my team do, and sometimes even more because I am naturally not as strong as a boy. And if you want to play volleyball so bad, go and ask. I am sure it could be arranged. And as for there being girls softball teams, they have BASEBALL for boys. So that isn't even a good argument. And lets say I beat an opponent, and he beats another boy. If that boy found out that he lost to someone who lost to a girl, would he hear crap from his friends? Probably not. Its all about looking bad. I would NEVER make somebody fell bad because I beat them. Everyone just needs to grow up. I am not doing this to scream GIRL POWER or anything, I just LOVE wrestling.

Enough said. Keep up the good work!

Exactly, guys and girls alike love the sport and we go to matches to wrestle, no matter the opponent. We practice the same we win the same and we lose the same. A record reads wins and losses, not wins v guys and wins v girls. Spectators go to watch wrestling , not watch just guys wrestling. A girl on the team takes away from no one, not from the opponent, and not from the spectator. Grow up and enjoy wrestling, quit getting your feelings hurt and getting scared because you son or wrestler may lose to a girl.

:blink:

Hey, you MISSED THE PIONT! I did not say they should not wrestle! JUST WITH OTHER GIRLS! In what other sport in High School do you have Coed? NONE. (Except maybe a few football kickers) You have GRILS BB, BOYS BB, GIRLS TRACK, BOYS TRACK, GIRLS SCOCCER, BOYS SCOCCER, GOLF, (BASEBALL & SOFTBALL), ETC.

AND IN SOME STATES YOU EVEN HAVE BOYS VOLLYBALL

Let them start their own team. Just like some of the Colleges & Internatinal Games have. I have a Daughter she plays Basketball. (OK I said it) MY son Wrestles. Get the picture. If she wanted to wrestle I would be the first to take her to a GIRLS AAU Tournament or help her start a girls team when she got to High School. WRESTLING IS WHAT MEN DO DURNING BOY'S BASKETBALL SEASON

OK, what do you do if she dominates all the females and wants the challange of going against the boys?

MasterBlaster, you listenin? How about a Farragut vs Bearden girls match for a fundraiser? Thursday nite before the football game next fall. Or maybe the opening act for FHS-BHS wrestling match. What are the chances of getting that by our respective principles?

MB, look me up at Alcoa this wknd. Ask the Ginns, Griecos, or Manns to point out Mark B.

BTW, if anybody's counting votes, I say let the girls wrestle. If I had a daughter, I'd be less worried about what your son was doing to her on the mat than on a date.

Souds good. You will hear me and see me. I have the biggest mouth and belly in the stands for FHS.

OK, what do you do if she dominates all the females and wants the challange of going against the boys?

Let them compete with the Boy's soccer team, boy's basketball & football and even swim teams for a real challenge. Let's not keep imposing embarrassment on our boys. Not all are that way as I know my boy would pin a girl in less than 10 seconds, he says. I personally would prefer him not to have such close personal contact until the time & circumstances are right. Not in front of 100's of people :blink:

allsaints - I find your perspective the most interesting. Why choose an all boys school for your high school aged son yet be in favor of a coed contact sport?

I've witnessed up close as both a coach and official the terror suffered when an immature young man was defeated by a mature young woman. IMHO, no kid should have to endure that as part of a recreational sport.