Girl in Alaska wins state tourney

stovepipe

With all this talk about girls wrestling I have a question. Just how many girls are out there on varsity wrestling teams in Tennessee? Also, if any will qualify for the state tournament? Are there any Studette's out there we should be looking for THIS post season?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you "know your boy would pin a gilr in less than ten seconds?" That rarely ever happens, and you shouldn't be so confident.

I know that's what he, my son, believes or says. He has done boys that way over the past four years of competition. No offense to you, as you may make it longer out there.

I do admire what some young ladies can do against guys(Hope Proctor was one of them), but deep in my heart I feel it's just not right. Overall, I really don't think it's healthy for anyone, physically or mentally or eventually - legal. Once girls master the other sports that are not as tough, maybe they can take on higher levels of competition. usually, 103, 112 and 119 is a training ground for the higher weights, but of course there are exceptions like Danny Coleman, Noman, M. Ortiz- of past, a couple of Johnson's from the left- 112, HT's Adamson-119 (can't forget him now can I?), Mang sure has shown some growth and I would like to see the girl that would beat him now at high school level. heck, he as a sopomore mumped up to wrestle a 125 top seeded caliber guy. Show me any girl attempt that,,, maybe an eskimo from Alaska?

I encourage a JV type arrangement that girls take on girls and there are no weigh ins and no official TSSAA records to keep up with. This would serve a was to include girls in the sport, but not risk any further danger or legalities, maybe reduce allegations of text messaging or other issues as well.

Edited by Sommers

I know that's what he, my son, believes or says. He has done boys that way over the past four years of competition. No offense to you, as you may make it longer out there.

I do admire what some young ladies can do against guys(Hope Proctor was one of them), but deep in my heart I feel it's just not right. Overall, I really don't think it's healthy for anyone, physically or mentally or eventually - legal. Once girls master the other sports that are not as tough, maybe they can take on higher levels of competition. usually, 103, 112 and 119 is a training ground for the higher weights, but of course there are exceptions like Danny Coleman, Noman, M. Ortiz- of past, a couple of Johnson's from the left- 112, HT's Adamson-119 (can't forget him now can I?), Mang sure has shown some growth and I would like to see the girl that would beat him now at high school level. heck, he as a sopomore mumped up to wrestle a 125 top seeded caliber guy. Show me any girl attempt that,,, maybe an eskimo from Alaska?

I encourage a JV type arrangement that girls take on girls and there are no weigh ins and no official TSSAA records to keep up with. This would serve a was to include girls in the sport, but not risk any further danger or legalities, maybe reduce allegations of text messaging or other issues as well.

as a girl, i believe that if a girl is really good, and actually has skill, she should wrestle. but if she is doing it just to get near guys, thats innapropriate.

With all this talk about girls wrestling I have a question. Just how many girls are out there on varsity wrestling teams in Tennessee? Also, if any will qualify for the state tournament? Are there any Studette's out there we should be looking for THIS post season?

I have been my school's varsity 12 pounder and captain for two years.

as a girl, i believe that if a girl is really good, and actually has skill, she should wrestle. but if she is doing it just to get near guys, thats innapropriate.

As a guy, I believe that even if a guy is really bad, and actually has no skills, he should still wrestle, but if he is doing it just to get near guys, that's really gross.

The only push back I would have on the opinions voiced here is the notion that we have to shelter the boys from the mental anguish they could suffer should they lose to a girl. This is a very slippery slope and I think the people voicing this argument have not thought it through.

These are not my thoughts or speculation; they are events I have witnessed. The sport is tough enough without a young man having that thrown on him also.

Many folks still believe that there is an acceptable level of behavior between a boy and a girl and that it is different from the acceptable behavior between a boy and another boy. My manager is a female (yea, at work too) and I still extend certain courtesies to her such as opening a door. It has nothing to do with who's in charge or our working relationship - my mother would say it has to do with manners. Girls are only novalty in this sport and I for one don't appreciate wrestling being corrupted in this way. IMHO, this asexual view of young ladies perpetuates the lack of respect shown by young men to women in the music industry and further desensitizes young men to the physical abuse of the weaker sex that has become so rampant in our society.

MasterB - yes, most effective wrestlers have a strong grasp of the mental aspect of the sport - but that does not make it an intellectual contest. Haven't you been arguing that point concerning Coffee for quite some time now? If it’s mainly intellectual, why are there weight classes instead of IQ classes?

I am a mother of three girls (13,15,19) and one boy, senior wrestler and there is absolutely NO WAY I would have ever allowed my daughters to think about wrestling. Think of the positions and the hands. No way. I would have had a fit. Women interpert Title IX differently everywhere. I am all for women's rights and I definitley don't want a man telling me what to do when, where or how BUT there are some things that women just should keep there noses out of. Football and wresling, they just don't belong at least not on the same playing field as men. Wake up girls, your bodies were not made to be treated like a man's. You are more pronned to injury no matter how much strength training you had. I played volleyball for several years throughout my high school career and will pride myself at being very good at it but still would never put myself in front of a man spiking a ball!! This is why we have female sports. Go run track if you feel the need to beat a man, boy! At least the only one who can harm you is yourself. And Coach Gonyea, you are right about the sexual harrassment problems. I totally agree. I honestly can't believe a parent could sit and watch their little girl on the mat like that, especially not a daddy!!

Edited by jtb99

Actually, I think it does apply to some degree. A lot of people have posted their concern regarding the boys moralle and being ruined emotionally because he lost to a girl. Lets face it we will lose jobs, contracts, sales etc. to women, so in a back handed kind of way it does apply.

Actually, I disagree totally. It does not apply in any fashion at all. I find it less than accurate to describe a wrestling match as good training for business competition from females later in life.

I wipped a girl on the mat and now I am ready for the Harvard Business school? Yeah, I know, extream. So is the other example as well. but hey, it is just my opinon of being in the business world for many, many years.

The fact that this is a topic is a comment on how confused early 21rst century American society is. It is only one of many reasons why our sons (and daughters for that matter) are under incredible societal pressures which in many cases are placed on them by their very confused parents.

But more to the point - it's just plane old every day perverted. But hey, Broakback Mountain will win a pile of Oscars and Janet Jackson is considered to be entertaining. So I guess, considering what society will accept today as normative behavior, watching a teenage male wrestler perform a Saturday Night Ride on a female wrestler in front of several hundred fans is not only acceptable but entertainment. And if her partents care that little about their daughter, why should the rest of us?

Edited by takedown3

The fact that this is a topic is a comment on how confused early 21rst century American society is. It is only one of many reasons why our sons (and daughters for that matter) are under incredible societal pressures which in many cases are placed on them by their very confused parents.

But more to the point - it's just plane old every day perverted. But hey, Broakback Mountain will win a pile of Oscars and Janet Jackson is considered to be entertaining. So I guess, considering what society will accept today as normative behavior, watching a teenage male wrestler perform a Saturday Night Ride on a female wrestler in front of several hundred fans is not only acceptable but entertainment. And if her partents care that little about their daughter, why should the rest of us?

Great POINTS...

And if her partents care that little about their daughter, why should the rest of us?

Because of the potential negative repercussions if you allow your son to become this jaded till he views/treats women exactly like men. For example, college aged male is out in public and another similarly aged slightly intoxicated male starts a heated argument. First male gets fed up with second male's mouth and pokes him in the nose - probably not our middle aged recommendation but it happens and society accepts that, "boys will be boys". No broken bones then probably no huge repercussions – the guy was drunk and just wouldn’t leave me alone. Same scenario except the second arguing intoxicated party is female. Hey, girls are just like boys so poke her in the nose. Now envision all the trouble headed his way.

Because of the potential negative repercussions if you allow your son to become this jaded till he views/treats women exactly like men. For example, college aged male is out in public and another similarly aged slightly intoxicated male starts a heated argument. First male gets fed up with second male's mouth and pokes him in the nose - probably not our middle aged recommendation but it happens and society accepts that, "boys will be boys". No broken bones then probably no huge repercussions – the guy was drunk and just wouldn’t leave me alone. Same scenario except the second arguing intoxicated party is female. Hey, girls are just like boys so poke her in the nose. Now envision all the trouble headed his way.

I wonder if this jaded perspective leads to an overall improvement in our moral fiber of society, or decay? It's either one or the other. Where do we stand?