Girl in Alaska wins state tourney

stovepipe

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me put my 2 cents in here. I think it is unfair for the Board of Education from any district to force a coach to allow girls on their team. Have you seen the news lately with all the male coaches, teachers etc. getting in trouble.

If a girl gets mad at her coach, all she has to do is say he touched her wrong or looked at her the wrong way....and it never has to be proven for this coaches life to be ruined. (Trust me, I don't get paid enough in coaching to give up my career so a girl can prove something). It may be cool now, but watch, when one coach gets burned it won't be such a cool idea anymore.

AS A COACH OF A FEMALE WRESTLER I CAN SAY THAT IN THE BEGGININNG I WAS VERY MUCH AGAINST IT. I NEVER DID HOWEVER REFUSE ANY GIRL THAT WANTED TO TRY. THE PROBLEM USUALLY TOOK CARE OF ITSELF WITHIN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME WHEN NO SLACK WAS CUT TO THE FEMALES. NOW I HAVE A THIRD YEAR FEMALE JUNIOR THAT HAS BEATEN SEVERAL REGIONAL OPPONENTS AND USUALLY WRESTLES SIX MINUTE MATCHES. I CAN'T REMEMBER TO MANY TIMES THIS YEAR WHEN SHE HAS BEEN SMOKED. I HAVE TO SAY THAT MANY TIMES I HAVE FELT BAD FOR BOYS SHE HAS BEATEN, BUT AT THE SAME TIME I KNOW THE WORK AND DEDICATION THAT SHE PUTS IN. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER JESSICA TAYLOR FROM CUMBERLAND? DID ANYONE SEE HER "SMOKED" VERY OFTEN? LIKE IT OR NOT THERE ARE GONNA BE SOME GIRLS THAT ARE DEDICATED TO THIS SPORT, WILLINGLYTO PUT IN ALL THE WORK THE BOYS DO, AND THE ONLY PERSON THEY WANT TO PROVE ANYTHING TO IS THEMSELVES.

I totally agree. My girl wrestler is very dedicated to the sport, works as hard if not harder than most of the guys on the team. She deserves a shot just like anyone else. As for being fearful of a suit, we are all capable of being accused of doing inappropriate things. We must guard ourselves and be aware of who we are around and where. To not allow a person the opportunity to compete is unfair. I have two daughters 4 and 6. If they want to wrestle, then I will help train them, if they want to dance... well then I will pay someone else to train them. Girls wrestling is growing, that is the fact. Until they grow enough to start separate programs, then I say let them compete.

I totally agree. My girl wrestler is very dedicated to the sport, works as hard if not harder than most of the guys on the team. She deserves a shot just like anyone else. As for being fearful of a suit, we are all capable of being accused of doing inappropriate things. We must guard ourselves and be aware of who we are around and where. To not allow a person the opportunity to compete is unfair. I have two daughters 4 and 6. If they want to wrestle, then I will help train them, if they want to dance... well then I will pay someone else to train them. Girls wrestling is growing, that is the fact. Until they grow enough to start separate programs, then I say let them compete.

We are offering an opportunity for girls to compete against girls in Tennessee this year. This is from the Tennessee Wrestling Federation Website:

4th Annual OPEN USGWA TN Girls State Championships - 2/25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...will be held @ McGavock High School in Nashville, TN on Saturday, February 25, 2006. Weigh in will be from 7 a.m. - 9 a.m. with wrestling to start @ 10:00 a.m.

Divisions & Weight Classes will be as follows:

Elementary - K - 5th

Blocked Weights

3 minutes - 1/1/1, OT 1 min - TB 30 sec

Middle School - 7 - 8th

74-83-89-94-97.5-101-104.5-108-111.5-119-123.5-128-136.5-150->150

4 1/2 min - 1.3/1.3/1.3

High School - 9 - 12

100-105-110-114-118-122-126-130-134-138-144-152-165->165

6 min championships/6 min consy

College - Fresh - Senior

107-114-121-128-133-138-145-154-165->165

7 min championships/6 min consy

To enter, send your name, address, phone, email, date of birth, name of parents and the school that you attend + division and grade + proof of age to the following address:

Kent Bailo, USGWA Director

3105 Hickory Ridge Lane

Ortonville, MI 48462

kbailo@tir.com

or call 248-627-8066

Entry fee will be $20 in advance, charging $25 at the door. All entries need to be postmarked by February 18, 2006.

This will be folkstyle rules. National Federation rules book will apply with exception of weight classes.

Medals for the top 3 placers in each weight class & division.

Yes, this will be going on 2 mats in conjunction with the TWF Fresh/Soph Tournament on 4 mats. Fresh/Soph will use other 2 mats when not in use by USGWA.

THE ANIMAL HAS THE ANSWER “NEVER LET GIRLS WRESTLE BOYS.” IF ALL COACHES WOULD PUT THEIR FOOT DOWN AND SAY “GIRLS WRESTLE GIRLS AND BOYS WRESTLE BOYS”. THEN WE WOULD NOT BE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION. WE WOULD BE TALKING ABOUT HOW AWESOME THE BRADLEY GIRLS WRESTLING TEAM IS BY WINNING THE STATE GIRLS DUALS IN CLARKSVILLE. THE BOYS TEAMS MIGHT GET LESS COVERAGE LIKE THE VOLS AND LADY VOLS USE TO BE (BEFORE PEARL).

AS LONG AS THE GIRLS HAVE TO WRESTLE THE BOYS THIS IS A LOOSE-LOOSE SITUATION FOR THE GIRLS. IT WOULD BE LIKE HAVING ONLY ONE BASKETBALL TEAM AT YOUR HIGH SCHOOL. ONCE IN A DECADE YOU MIGHT HAVE A FEMALE PLAYER THAT IS COMPETITIVE WITH THE BOYS. HOW AWESOME WOULD SHE BE ON AN ALL GIRLS TEAM.

THE ANSWER IS SET-UP “GIRL VS GIRLS” COMPETITIONS THROUGHOUT THE SEASON. HAVE GIRLS DIVISIONS IN ALL THE TOURNAMENT, ESPECIALLY JV TOURNAMENT. AT THE HALLS JV TOURNAMENT WE HAVE 3-DIVISIONS: FRESHMEN BOYS, JV BOYS AND 9-12 GIRLS. WE HAVE DONE THIS FOR THE LAST 4-YEARS AND NO ONE HAS LEFT UPSET. WE USUALLY HAVE BETWEEN 4 AND 8 GIRLS. THEY GET TO WRESTLE AND THIS TAKES OUT ALL OF THE STRESS.

THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL HAS THE ANSWER “NEVER LET GIRLS WRESTLE BOYS.” IF ALL COACHES WOULD PUT THEIR FOOT DOWN AND SAY “GIRLS WRESTLE GIRLS AND BOYS WRESTLE BOYS”. THEN WE WOULD NOT BE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION. WE WOULD BE TALKING ABOUT HOW AWESOME THE BRADLEY GIRLS WRESTLING TEAM IS BY WINNING THE STATE GIRLS DUALS IN CLARKSVILLE. THE BOYS TEAMS MIGHT GET LESS COVERAGE LIKE THE VOLS AND LADY VOLS USE TO BE (BEFORE PEARL).

AS LONG AS THE GIRLS HAVE TO WRESTLE THE BOYS THIS IS A LOOSE-LOOSE SITUATION FOR THE GIRLS. IT WOULD BE LIKE HAVING ONLY ONE BASKETBALL TEAM AT YOUR HIGH SCHOOL. ONCE IN A DECADE YOU MIGHT HAVE A FEMALE PLAYER THAT IS COMPETITIVE WITH THE BOYS. HOW AWESOME WOULD SHE BE ON AN ALL GIRLS TEAM.

THE ANSWER IS SET-UP “GIRL VS GIRLS” COMPETITIONS THROUGHOUT THE SEASON. HAVE GIRLS DIVISIONS IN ALL THE TOURNAMENT, ESPECIALLY JV TOURNAMENT. AT THE HALLS JV TOURNAMENT WE HAVE 3-DIVISIONS: FRESHMEN BOYS, JV BOYS AND 9-12 GIRLS. WE HAVE DONE THIS FOR THE LAST 4-YEARS AND NO ONE HAS LEFT UPSET. WE USUALLY HAVE BETWEEN 4 AND 8 GIRLS. THEY GET TO WRESTLE AND THIS TAKES OUT ALL OF THE STRESS.

THE ANIMAL

Valid point Animal. However, the issue arises when schools can hardly fund or even support the current teams. I am for allowing girls on a team. Reason being, they will either become dedicated and keep wrestling or quit. I have wrestled girls on a few occasions and always wrestled as if they were a guy. I never considered it an easy win because you never overlook any opponent. Girls as of now do not have the opportunity to join a girl’s team at their whim. They must join wherever they are welcome. I do consider it a double standard that guys cannot be on a volleyball team. However one guy could dominate a girls volleyball team and opposing teams and it would open up the possibility of, many guys joining. In that case, it would possibly carry over to other schools and it would begin to become male oriented. I doubt that girls will come and over run wrestling teams and force the guys out. Although it is a good point, many factors such as the aforementioned come into play. It would be great to have an all girls division but there are not enough girls showing interest in wrestling to begin one. If they do then the idea should be put into action. However, as long as there are few girls wanting to wrestle then they should be allowed to wrestle with the guys. I tell the team I coach that they do not have to wrestle a girl if they do not want to. However, I tell them they need to stop being afraid because on that mat the girl is an opponent wanting to whip them. If a guy loses to a girl and quits then he did not have the fuel to wrestle in the first place. If I were to lose to a girl and would push myself and make sure it would not happen again. Not quitting is an important characteristic in wrestling and if you quit because you are wrestling a girl it is the same as quitting because it was just too much for you. A good wrestler never quits, does not fear his opponent no matter what gender, and if they get beat, they work to get better. Allow girls to wrestle, odds are they quit but the beauty of America is they get to try. If the school has a girls team then they should not be on the guys but should travel with them to get real opportunities to wrestle.

I do consider it a double standard that guys cannot be on a volleyball team. However one guy could dominate a girls volleyball team and opposing teams and it would open up the possibility of, many guys joining. In that case, it would possibly carry over to other schools and it would begin to become male oriented.

Who said boys could not go out for the volleyball team. If they let the girls on the wrestling team, they can not stop the boys for going out for vollyball. I HAVE SAID THIS TO MANY PEOPLE, THAT IF THE BOYS ON THE WRESTLING TEAM WOULD GO OUT FOR VOLLYBALL, SOMEONE WILL GET THE MEASAGE AND PUT A STOP TO GIRLS WRESTLING.

caveman.jpg

Oneblindref, stovepipe and THEANIMAL.

I found this picture of you on the net. :justwrestle:

Yeah, girls shouldn't play football, baseball, fly combat missions etc.

Give me a break! Get off your rock and hide your club! Join the 21st century.

If a girl/chick, whatever can do it let them compete.

Mia Hamm could beat 95% of the boys in any sport she played.

Read up, and get out of your daddies bias ways.

:justwrestle:

caveman.jpg

Oneblindref, stovepipe and THEANIMAL.

I found this picture of you on the net. :justwrestle:

Yeah, girls shouldn't play football, baseball, fly combat missions etc.

Give me a break! Get off your rock and hide your club! Join the 21st century.

If a girl/chick, whatever can do it let them compete.

Mia Hamm could beat 95% of the boys in any sport she played.

Read up, and get out of your daddies bias ways.

Hey, you MISSED THE PIONT! I did not say they should not wrestle! JUST WITH OTHER GIRLS! In what other sport in High School do you have Coed? NONE. (Except maybe a few football kickers) You have GRILS BB, BOYS BB, GIRLS TRACK, BOYS TRACK, GIRLS SCOCCER, BOYS SCOCCER, GOLF, (BASEBALL & SOFTBALL), ETC.

AND IN SOME STATES YOU EVEN HAVE BOYS VOLLYBALL

Let them start their own team. Just like some of the Colleges & Internatinal Games have. I have a Daughter she plays Basketball. (OK I said it) MY son Wrestles. Get the picture. If she wanted to wrestle I would be the first to take her to a GIRLS AAU Tournament or help her start a girls team when she got to High School. WRESTLING IS WHAT MEN DO DURNING BOY'S BASKETBALL SEASON