Mr. Basketball- All Classes

CoachT

An assist is any pass made to a teammate from which he directly scores, (usually meaning that if he has to put it on the floor and dribble...it is no longer an assist). When a player passes to a wide open shooter and the shooter scores, it is an assist. Ral-Egypt shoots the ball extremely well and the team also shares the basketball freely, (a rarity these days!). For this reason there are no reasons to pad statistics.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only comments to someone holding a ballot are this:

1.) Do NOT let the fact that Willie Kemp and Wayne Chism play on the same team split votes. If they are 2 of the top 3 players in the state then they should both be recognized as such. It is not fair to the kids to chose in any other manner. Beau Brown is a great player, and no doubt will get some extra votes from the East Tennessee voters and those who chose to penalize Kemp and Chism for playing on the same team. Don't be one of those people. I know that you wouldn't argue that Beau Brown is a better basketball player than either Kemp or Chism, so do not vote him above them. Ask yourself this, if Chism still played in Jackson is there any doubt that he would be one of the three nominees? Thad Young, Willie Kemp, and Wayne Chism are hands down the three best AA players in the state. That is not to take anything away from Beau Brown or Brandon Evans.

2.) Please give some respect to Hamilton and Jeremy Williams. They are the best "team" in the state and he is there best player. It says something about the type of player he is if he can plug in and be a piece of a great "team" so he deserves a nomination.

1.) Do NOT let the fact that Willie Kemp and Wayne Chism play on the same team split votes. If they are 2 of the top 3 players in the state then they should both be recognized as such. It is not fair to the kids to chose in any other manner. Beau Brown is a great player, and no doubt will get some extra votes from the East Tennessee voters and those who chose to penalize Kemp and Chism for playing on the same team. Don't be one of those people. I know that you wouldn't argue that Beau Brown is a better basketball player than either Kemp or Chism, so do not vote him above them. Ask yourself this, if Chism still played in Jackson is there any doubt that he would be one of the three nominees? Thad Young, Willie Kemp, and Wayne Chism are hands down the three best AA players in the state. That is not to take anything away from Beau Brown or Brandon Evans.

2.) Please give some respect to Hamilton and Jeremy Williams. They are the best "team" in the state and he is there best player. It says something about the type of player he is if he can plug in and be a piece of a great "team" so he deserves a nomination.

Great Post!! :):)

...Do NOT let the fact that Willie Kemp and Wayne Chism play on the same team split votes. If they are 2 of the top 3 players in the state then they should both be recognized as such. It is not fair to the kids to chose in any other manner. Beau Brown is a great player, and no doubt will get some extra votes from the East Tennessee voters and those who chose to penalize Kemp and Chism for playing on the same team. Don't be one of those people. I know that you wouldn't argue that Beau Brown is a better basketball player than either Kemp or Chism, so do not vote him above them. Ask yourself this, if Chism still played in Jackson is there any doubt that he would be one of the three nominees? Thad Young, Willie Kemp, and Wayne Chism are hands down the three best AA players in the state. That is not to take anything away from Beau Brown or Brandon Evans.

CoachT-

I agree with the above post. Since last week I've thought about the thread we we had going about political correctness and all...I just believe that Willie and Wayne should not be penalized for being on the same team. It may not be PC...but it's not fair to these young men...they can't help how it's all played out in the end.

They are great young men and I couldn't ask for more respectful players on our team. They play to win and make no excuses. Other posters may...but not these guys. I've never heard 'em do it. Not once.

It is a hard decision ...since so many great players around...but BOTH these Tigers deserve real consideration.

Dont hate on the guy too bad. Mack Gardner is averaging 15points and 8.5 assists per game, and he just moved into second all time in the state for assists. It can be done. Want an unbelievible stat, and still 1 I cant belive, most assists in 1 season: 350 Arlyn Bowers Memphis South Side in 1986-1987. And its true, its in the tssaa history books. He's the career leader also.

You can see some jaw dropping stas here http://www.tssaa.org/schdir/records/GetRecord.cfm

im not saying it can't be done because you can get assists, but most of the time(especially in high school, and at some smaller colleges) the statician doesn't take the stats right, if the pg brings the ball down and passes it to the wing and that guy takes his man from the 3 pt line to the rim and scores a lot of times in high schools the stat guy would give the pg an assist which is not correct, pretty much the only time an assist is counted when the other player dribbles is when there is a direct line to the basket such as a fast break layup or an open lane, if the player has to make a move at all it is not an assist but a lot of times is counted in high school, same thing is done with rebounding stats, a lot of times if a rebound is tipped and rolls down the court a little bit and a player picks it up the stat guy gives that player a rebound, even tho it isn't one...so with all this side, i wasn't trying to down that kids ability because im sure he is good, he wouldn't have those schools looking at him if he wasn't, im just saying those numbers are very exaggerated because it is not possible to average that in the high school game

Coaches can in fact offer a scholarship any time...

Mo Miller is a great player. 11 assists is likely padded a bit, but regaurdless, he is a great player and a great passer. No matter what his stats are, I guarantee he is one of the top 3 in the state in assists any class...

No back to the topic at hand...

AAA-

After this past week which included a few upsets, I think you have to go with:

-Jeremy Williams, Hamilton

-Barry Stewart, Shelbyville

-Mo Miller, RE

These three are not only the three best players in AAA this year, but are also leading the teams with the top 3 seasons so far... Hamilton being undefeated is enough said. Shelbyville upsetting Brentwood Academy behind Stewart's 28 may have been his defininig moment. And after losing so many talented seniors, the fact that Miller has RE right back at 24-1 is a testament to his ability...

AA-

Again, the picture is begginning to become clearer:

-Thad Young, Mitchell

-Willie Kemp, Bolivar

-Brandon Evans, Liberty

Again, arguably the three top teams in AA are again all represented. All three have had phenomenal years. As much as I like Varnardo and Chism, Evans is looking like the better choice right now, leading a balanced team with over 19 ppg with their only two losses by a combined 5 points. I am not forgetting about Brown from McMinn, it's just that this year's AA race should and will be dominated by players west of Nashville...

A-

Right now it's Marquis Weddle, and then filling in the two runner's up...

Weddle is the clear pick here to win the award. Potential finalists include Daren Currie (Middle College), Marq Murden (Middleton), Davis Eldridge (Grace), Rose or Smith (Humbolt), Williams (Culleoka), Blakely (Cosby), among others...

D-II

I think it's even safer to say that Wright is the winner here...

I'll prob go with Bone as another finalist (there are so many fewer teams in D-II, so it's not unlikely to see teammates as finalists here)... Parton from Know Catholic, Price (Harding), Lee (Briarcrest), Thompson (Notre Dame), a few from Elliston Baptist, Gaines (MBA), among others are potential finalists for the third spot...

Toylon Smith - 17 points and 7.2 assists per game.

Kelsey Rose - 19.5 points, 8.3 rebounds, 3.5 assits per game.

These are two of the best 1A players in the state. If they weren't on the same team, their points per game would be much higher! Last night both had 26 pts a piece, and Toylon also had 12 assists and 9 rebounds. Toylon also had 32 points and 11 assists in a win over Union City. Both can shoot the ball, play defense, pass, rebound........ they have complete games!!

What about Antonio Robinson from South Pittsburg? He was a Mr. Football finalist, and has signed a football scholarship to Tennessee Tech, but he could just as well be in the running for Mr. Basketball. He has averaged more than 20 points a game, and with his 6'5'', 230(not sure on the weight) has brought down more than 20 rebounds a game (I could be wrong, I haven't found exact stats for this week, might be a little less than that.) He is a tough physical player, that does it all, from shoot the 3, to dunk, to block, and rebound. He also has achieved 2000 career points. He is the majority of the Pirate's offense and a large reason why they have the great record they do. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Edited by Rodman15

Jimmy Oden from Siegel he averages around 25 points a game and led Siegel the whole first half of the season without star foreward Keith Ramsey, the kid has over 1500 oints in his career and alot of them have came this year he is flat out amazing your vote should be him over any in the state for class AAA

I agree Jimmy Oden should win AAA he is a great player and leads his team,night in and night out, h is the truth