Coach's cussing @ kids?

cutie313

If your concerned about the way the coach acts, try to see if you can go watch a few practices & then make a decision. Your child does not have to play, their are rec leagues as an altenative. You can move and/or transfer your child. Theirs always Church League as well.

And lastly, who decides what words are decent or indecent.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dare_2_dream

Here is my input, which might not be appreciated but oh well.

I know, sometimes, that coach's speeches get umm boring to say the least. And when they continue on and on, it gets temtping to take a nap here and there. But cuss words grab my attention, along with many other people. When someone cusses, you are drawn to what they are saying. Its like a wake up call. But thats just my input.

Coaches have to "tear down a player" in order to rebuild them. To give them priority, and dedication to what they are doing. You strip them down to nothing, the bare essentials,and if what is left after hours of practice, conditioning, and scolding is that same burn and desire to play the game...then you have a player who knows respect,authority, and drive. To get a player to this point, yes alot of coachs have to make them feel like they arent nearly as good as they preceive themselves. Tellin little johnny he is just playing silly, and stinks at layups, in todays society anyway, isnt going to get an effective method across.

Now, as for the guy who made the reference to not using those things in " the game of life"...i have this to say. No, your absolutly right. But hats what make sports great. In life sometimes you dont have those people there, guiding you, directing you, and teaching you how to preform your best. In the game of life you wing it, sure you pick up certain moral statutes here and there, but you are ultimatly left in charge of yourself. Thats the beauty of atheltics, you have that mentor, and you can put all your trust in him, to do whatever he feels will make you the best player you can be. With that comes great respect, and pride. So no... not many would take being called that in their day to day...but not many would have reeped the benefits, or had the respect for someone as influencial as a coach can be either.

( Now, if your talking about LIFE the board game...please...disreguard everything i said, and let me proceed to feeling embarrassed.)

I agree with some of what you have to say, but if whomever is guiding and directing you now is cursing at you to tear you down and then rebuild you, well something is just wrong about that. If you think it's Ok then I guess it's OK for you. All I'm trying to say is, I would not let my children be guided or directed by anyone who choose to do it in this manner. I don't talk to my kid's like that and no one else, no matter what kind of authority figure they may be, can do it and me not do something about it. And no, I was not talking about the board game.

Try to get a scholarship playing at a P&R or church league. That is not where the high level competition exists. They are for exercise, fellowship, and fun. High school is different. It is to be fun but there is the high priority of winning games. Profanity does not create success. Good coaching of good athletes will. There is NO need for a coach to curse at a student athlete. If I do that in the classroom, I get fired. If the field of competition is an extesion of the classroom, then should this coach not at the very least be reprimanded? He most likely deserves directions to the unemployment line.

P.S. What ever happened to encouragement as a means of motivation for success?

If your concerned about the way the coach acts, try to see if you can go watch a few practices & then make a decision. Your child does not have to play, their are rec leagues as an altenative. You can move and/or transfer your child. Theirs always Church League as well.

He has "closed" practices. He locks the gym doors and no one has access to their child.

I do not have a child that plays or will ever play for this man.

Everyone is sorta missing the point. The swearing at the young adult is the business of that players parents. I am more concerned in the way the Coach represented the school.

There are a few words that we consider everyday vulgarities, these i understand. But the language this man used last night offended me as a person and a woman.

He has "closed" practices. He locks the gym doors and no one has access to their child.

I do not have a child that plays or will ever play for this man.

Everyone is sorta missing the point. The swearing at the young adult is the business of that players parents. I am more concerned in the way the Coach represented the school.

There are a few words that we consider everyday vulgarities, these i understand. But the language this man used last night offended me as a person and a woman.

No, you are missing the point. If you know this is going on and have witnessed it and do nothing, then you are part of the problem. It is the business of whomever, not just the parents. If it offended you, act on it. You have a right not to be exposed to this language in a public place. It's against the law!

Edited by 44points

Try to get a scholarship playing at a P&R or church league. That is not where the high level competition exists. They are for exercise, fellowship, and fun. High school is different. It is to be fun but there is the high priority of winning games. Profanity does not create success. Good coaching of good athletes will. There is NO need for a coach to curse at a student athlete. If I do that in the classroom, I get fired. If the field of competition is an extesion of the classroom, then should this coach not at the very least be reprimanded? He most likely deserves directions to the unemployment line.

P.S. What ever happened to encouragement as a means of motivation for success?

I agree. So does it mean if that same student is underachieving in the coach's class he can cuss at him to motivate him to get better grades.............I doubt if the school board would approve of that.........coaching is no different.

I DO NOT CUSS but i will not get mad if a coach cusses at one of my boys i am sure that my son cusses and most of us who have high school kids have kids that cuss so why is it ok for them to cuss but you get riled up for the coach using the same language your kid does please keep in mind these high school kids (espcially boys) are punks and sometimes they need to be punked out i think you will be surprised at how well your coaches know these kids and he will know what button to push to make the kid do what he is suppose to do remeber if the kid is doing what he is suppose to do then the coach wont be cussing . My son had his first practice of the year and he come in and told how well he did and i asked if he got a lot of atta boys and he laughed and said NO i asked him if he got shewed out any and he said NO i said then you had a really good practice. When our kids grow up they are going to be cussed out by a boss or customer or someone and what a better time to learn lifes lesson now instead of when it is too late

THAT'S THE DEAL. From what I've read some may say this man didn't cuss at all. He just used words alot of people don't like. If you attack it from that angle, the situation solves itself.

1.Listen to the coach

2.I don't like what he said.

3.My kid is off the team.

as to representing the school

1.Listen to the coach

2.I don't like what he said.

3. Voice my opinion to school board.

4. Vote for a member that best reflects my beliefs.

P.S. Ask the kid if the coach's language is offensive in its content. The kid may find it normal,maybe even acceptable even though you and I may not.

Edited by stuntwoman

I haven't read most of these post but here's my 2 cents. There's nothing wrong with a coach using profanity, but he should save it for the locker room. Don't let little kids hear that stuff. Outside of that, I see no problem with it. It shows the kid that their coach is fired up and they better get their head up or they're gonna be on the bench. I've taken as many verbal beatings as the next person and I think in the end it made me a better player. If you can take it from someone you're around every day then no one else can get to you (fans, ect.).

Edited by Dawg05

i guess im the only one who disagrees with it..i believe the coach has to do the job and when hes trying to get a point across he has to do what he needs to do meanin if he needs to say something to get the attention of the players then thats what he needs to do..ive been around many coaches who cursed at us but it got the point across to us..i dont believe a coach is just going to curse jus to do it..so theres my opinion.. :lol:

If he can't get the point across without cursing , maybe he should find another line of work!!!! All the players are held accountable for thier actions and so should the coach. They are all reps of thier school.

Using profane words with kids should never happen. Of course, in my opinion you shouldn't use them at all (with kids or adults).

Coach John Wooden won 10 NCAA National Championships in a 12 year period without screaming and acting like a jerk.

More and more, you see coaches stomping out of the coaching box, on the basketball floor, throwing off their jackets and sweaters, throwing water bottles and cussing up a storm.

Does this help the athletes play better? The answer is NO.

you are correct about the record of Mr. Wooden. One has nothing to do with the other. Coach Wooden had the best players in a field of 20. His players were bought and paid for...proven. This does not take away from his ability to coach, but that was a different day. Bear Bryant was in the same position. The wonderful thing that can be taken is a "life lesson". Just because one is in the "world", does not mean that you let the "world" influence you. College professors, first bosses and other factors are right around the corner. Use this as a learning tool for what "might" happen. The adults action is not as near as important as the "re-action" from the young-adult . The student can use this and learn to deal with the "jerk", the adult can learn, but it is tough at this stage.