Top 10 In 1A

ptguard12

Tops in 1A

1. Gleason (30-2) – The Lady Bulldogs grabbed the District 14A Tournament Championship with a 9 point victory over a defensively improved Lake County before taking down a very determined Union City by 7 in the Championship Game. Gleason seems to be playing with no urgency of any kind, and while they may not have to during the Region 7A Tournament, they may want to pick up their game before Sub-State. Up this week will be the Region Tournament where they will take on the loser of the District 13A Consolation Game between West Carroll and Clarksburg in the 1st round.

2. Summertown (25-3) – The Lady Eagles continue to wrap up impressive wins on top of impressive wins. This week was no exception as the girls from Summertown controlled Wayne County by 15, took down Forrest by 10, and dominated Mt. Pleasant in the 1st round of the District 12A Tournament by 31. In order to prove they really deserve this ranking, the Lady Eagles will have to win the District 12A Tournament, which will be easier said then done as they begin with a fully healthy, and determined, Perry County team on Tuesday.

3. Jackson County (24-7) – The Lady Blue Devils have lost 3 of their last 5 games, but all have been to top-notch competition. However, losses way heavily on players’ minds and going into the District 7A Tournament on sort of a losing streak does not help things mentally for a very talented Jackson County team. This week they had a tough 3 point loss to AA Livingston Academy before needing a strong 2nd half to put away a pesky Clay County team by 15. Up this week will be the District Tournament where the Lady Blue Devils will face the winner of Pickett County and Clay County on Wednesday. They should then proceed to the Championship Game where they will probably meet either Clarkrange or Red Boiling Springs in Thursday.

4. Clarkrange (22-7) – The Lady Buffaloes started the week with an easy 55 point win over Hermitage Springs before exacting revenge on Red Boiling Springs in a 9 point win. Lamar Rogers’ girls ended their regular season on Friday with a 32 point win over AA Bledsoe County. This week they will head into District 7A Tournament play with a 1st Round game against Hermitage Springs on Monday.

5. Red Boiling Springs (25-4) – The Lady Bulldogs got big wins over Region opponents Gordonsville by Gordonsville and Westmoreland each by 12 before losing 2nd place in District 7A to Clarkrange by 9. This week Gentry, Leonard, and company will get their post-season underway with a 1st Round game in the District 7A Tournament against Monterey on the 20th.

6. Madison Academic Magnet (27-4) – After edging Jackson Christian by 4, the girls of Madison Academic once again dropped the ball in the District 15A Tournament when they lost to Trinity Christian Academy by 4. Up this week will be the Region 8A Tournament where they will take on the winner of the District 16A Consolation Game between Westside and Manassas.

7. Moore County (21-5) – The Raiderettes wrapped up their regular season schedule with a close 2 point win over AAA Lincoln County. This week the Moore County girls will get District 11A Tournament play underway with a game against Santa Fe on Monday in a game they should win easily. If they win that game, the Raiderettes will advance to the Championship Game on Friday the 24th.

8. Cloudland (24-4) – The Lady Highlanders ended their regular season with an 8 point win over AA Chuckey-Doak and a 3 point win over AA Unicoi County. Cloudland with start District 1A Tournament play on Tuesday where they will face the winner of the play-in game between North Greene and University School. The Championship Game, which the Lady Highlanders should be playing in, and the Consolation Game will be played on Saturday.

9. Oliver Springs (20-8) – The Lady Cats got things back on track this week with a 19 point win over Oakdale and a 36 point win over Sunbright to wrap up their district and regular season schedules. Oliver Springs will get the District 4A Tournament underway on Tuesday with a game against the winner of Oakdale and Wartburg. The Lady Cats should win that game easily which will place them in the Championship Game on Thursday.

10. Collinwood (19-6) – The Lady Trojans began the week with a close 2 point loss to AA Loretto before toying with Hampshire in the 1st round of the District 12A Tournament with a 12 point win. Collinwood will try to do something they haven’t done in years this week as they strive to win the District 12A Tournament. They’ll get things underway on Tuesday where they will have to play Wayne County in the semi-finals on Waynesboro’s home floor. Winner advances to the Championship Game on Friday while the loser falls to the Consolation Game.

Best of the Rest: Perry County (11), Wayne County (12), Union City (13), Forrest (14), Lake County (15)

As District and Region Tournaments wrap up, teams that are in the Top 10 will fall out of the Top 10 once their season has ended. At the end of the State Tournament, a season-ending list of the Top 10 in 1A will be posted with whom I believe the top teams in the state are, despite how far along they got in post-season play.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job, guard! And great idea about your end-of-season list. Wasn't it Clay County that beat Clarkrange like, three or four times, before Clarkrange went on to win the State Title a couple seasons back? Lots of very good teams, especially down your way, who get absolutely no recognition for their regular-season and early tournament success.

I can't disagree with your rankings here but the bottom line is the state championship game will be between Jackson County and Clarkrange with only RBS having an outside chance of playing against JC if they beat C'range in the region semi's. The Gold and Silver come back to District 7 AGAIN! ;)

I certainly hope you are right, but lets re-arrange that to where one of them, preferably the Gold comes to RBS! ;):(

7A watcher quote "After watching Gleason in the 14A district championship game, I understand why they attained #1 ranking, very good team."

You must not have seen Gleason early in the year. Gleason is not playing very well right now, nothing like they were at the first of the season. If they play like they can they will win it all.

Edited by Greenfieldfan