Illegal recruiting

ironman55

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is wrong for Cody Cleveland to go from Tullahoma to McCallie, isn't it also wrong for Tanner Johnson to go from WV to Bradley?

Your hypothesis is incorrect. It was not wrong for Cody Cleveland to go to McCallie unless you are arguing that the Tullahoma school district owned Cody and his parents had no right to pay $15K a year for the priviledge of Cody attending McCallie.

This whole string is bogus because, as approximately 86.7% of Coacht posters agree, it is a Biblical truth, a Constitutional impossibility and a revered tenent of this board that a public school could never recruit. As that same 86.7% agrees, only private schools would ever recruit athletes.

What is Bradley offering kids? A winning program. period! Do you think they are boarding him in the field house? They aren't giving him anything of monetary value, no room, no board, no tuition, nothing. Before you go crazy Walkenvol: maybe they just didn't want you bad enough to give you money at the "big blue" b/c it happens, but it's within the rules now and it is unlimited so why are you so defensive about something that is ok (now)?

What is Bradley offering kids? A winning program. period! Do you think they are boarding him in the field house? They aren't giving him anything of monetary value, no room, no board, no tuition, nothing. Before you go crazy Walkenvol: maybe they just didn't want you bad enough to give you money at the "big blue" b/c it happens, but it's within the rules now and it is unlimited so why are you so defensive about something that is ok (now)?

It has never been against the rules to offer financial aid!!!!!! The rule was that you could only have X number of athletes receiving financial aid participate in a particular sport. The rule now states that any number of student/athletes receiving financial aid may participate in a single sport. The public schools had it better with the old system. If the D2 privates wanted to go crazy they could get most any athlete that they wanted. I am for one shocked that things have not gotten out of hand as of today, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Edited by cbg

1. I agree with you about Bradley.

2. Did Walkenvol even post on this thread?

3. You seem to know a lot about financial awards from McCallie. Is it 'within the rules' for a private school to throw money at the family of an athlete when the family does not qualify for said money? I gues it is...you said 'it happens'.

4. Thanks for the insight. My thinking has been way off.

Before you go crazy Walkenvol: maybe they just didn't want you bad enough to give you money at the "big blue" b/c it happens, but it's within the rules now and it is unlimited so why are you so defensive about something that is ok (now)?

peaceoff20 - You must be confused as I've not made a post to this thread????Defensive...you must be confusing me with someone else as I don't have a dog in the financial aid fight. I do find it amusing how an urban myth like this continues. Many folks like yourself appear to believe that the privates are within the rules to give as much aid to any athlete as they would like and to as many athletes as they like. This is correct with one caveat - the athlete is ineligible to compete in TSSAA sanctioned sports if they receive more aid then they qualify for on a financial need basis. If your hanging on to your resentment of the D2's based on the premise that they are buying all the athletes then you may want to find a different hook to hang those feelings on.

Edited by walkenvol

I'll just mention 3 names and see what becomes of it , (1) Casey Cothron (2) Damon Floyd (3) Shawn Cordell

I Know, I Know. Those are atheletes who were very successful at Red Bank but choose to transfer to bradley because the felt they would be better off there. None of them were Recruited by Bradley. They reportedly made the same decision kids do when they choose a private school. Did Bradley recruit? Do private schools Recruit? My answer would be yes! They offer something that is good enough that people are willing to put themselves out to be a part of. I dont believe the privates have an advantage over Bradley in Wrestling( maybe in other areas yes). Bradley has a great program from 1st grade thru 12th, and they have more students.

I'll just mention 3 names and see what becomes of it , (1) Casey Cothron (2) Damon Floyd (3) Shawn Cordell

Shawn's daddy just told me the other day that they, TSSAA, watched their every move before the transfer. They had to prove that they were officially moved into to Bradley Co. as a family and that they had no ownership or residence in Red Bank. He said it was a fmaily decision that made a lot of people mad, but they never knew how closely they would be investigated.

Shawn's daddy just told me the other day that they, TSSAA, watched their every move before the transfer. They had to prove that they were officially moved into to Bradley Co. as a family and that they had no ownership or residence in Red Bank. He said it was a fmaily decision that made a lot of people mad, but they never knew how closely they would be investigated.

Don't know any of the details but if your story is accurate TSSAA is way out of bounds here. Who is TSSAA to tell someone where they can own property ? I would say any family could rent a house in one county while owning one in another. A family may wish to maintain two or more residences and it shouldn't be any of TSSAA's business.

Interesting. I don't know how old the 'Red Bank transfer to Bradley' cases are, but could someone tell me if you must currently reside in Bradley County to attend a Bradley County School? A couple of years ago Hamilton County's school board discussed cutting middle school sports to meet a restricted budget. This caused parents of middle schoolers to look at alternatives. I had a parent tell me that a Hamilton County resident could attend a Bradley County School by paying an annual out of county 'tuition' (tax equivalent).