Best Coach

the_legend

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken McDonald.....Great Coach, Super Person...gets the most out of a small school, not afraid to take his kids against anyone, never allows his team to "humiliate" a lesser opponent, keeps his kids playing a clean game. Coaches the boys and girls and they all give him everything they can because of the person and coach he is.... no doubt there are some great coaches in the state....I wouldn't trade Coach Mac for anyone and neither would my son or daughter (both players for him).

i feel compelled to respond to a number of comments made on this thread.

first (and least importantly) - vasilios, while this cheevers may be a great coach and, being from ireland, is clearly endowed with superior genetic material, comparison of any kind to ajit is not flattering. the man is at best a mediocre coach and he has been a cancerous influence on youth soccer in the midstate area. he has had successful teams primarily because his club has, until brentwood's relatively recent reassertion, had a near stranglehold on the talent-rich williamson county area, not because of any real talent coaching. cheevers's readily accepted superiority to that coach does not say much at all. (to the moderator: my apologies for the somewhat scathing nature of this invective, but ajit's negative legacy and influence is one of those issues that it would be a service to the soccer community to air out, anyway...)

second - manu721, while success is certainly an important indicator of a coach's ability, it can be more than a little misleading. most perennial powers have the ability to recruit, or attract players, in a self-perpetuating cycle, based on the fact that they are perennial powers, or are consistently fed by a solid local select program. coaching seems to me to be one of those things that affects a program's success, in most cases, only on the margin. certainly having a coach who understands the game rather than a history teacher with extra free time and good intentions is indispensable, but once a certain threshold of knowledge has been reached, it seems that differences in coaching ability are generally overridden by, as has been discussed, the talent that comes into the program and, to a lesser extent, the leadership capacity of the more senior players within the program. evidence of truly great coaching is when a program manages to reach perennial power status without benefiting from the feeders that began this paragraph, and...

third - flashgordon, i have to agree with the positivity of your assessment of ken mcdonald. he is the coach that comes to mind as having achieved that very feat with which i left off. his program at FRA has been consistently successful and competitive with D2 and AAA teams without the advantage of consistently talented classes that most superpowers boast (notwithstanding an exceptional class of '05 that included his son and a number of other D1 signees). his teams reliably play a game that resembles soccer. another coach who seemed to be on the right track, seemed to to succeed in getting his kids to work together in an organized system was the coach over at JPII in '04. i believe that '05 was a rough year and have no idea how they've fared so far this year, but i believe that if the same coach is still there, he is worth watching.

i do not mean, in anything said above, to belittle the important role that coaches play in their teams' performance, i mean simply to point out that the best coach in the world can generally only affect things to a certain extent and that, in the setting of high school soccer, so long as the coach meets minimum standards and is capable of holding his team together and providing a modicum of positive guidance, with notable exceptions like mcdonald's (and some few others), the greatest determinant of a program's success is the quality of its players, which is usually determined in select play before the kids ever set foot on a high school pitch.

Wow...that was too long to read...so i scimmed over it. Good points. I dont know the guy, but The blackman coach must be pretty decent to put up with the players there. I know that Blackman prides itself on "playing heard" and with "heart", but there is something wrong when a team is constantly wanting to fight refs, other teams, and brag about who they took out of games. It isnt like the refs are particularly unfair to them; their players just react much differently than most do. So, go Blackman's coach for being able to stand that.

vice is a very good coach,never hurts to have a few out of zoned kids to help out.

wow i didnt know aobut all these outta zone players he gets and i go to blackman the only 2 i know of would have been the morrissey brothers and if you knew them you would understand that the decission on that had nothin to do with sports.... and yes we had a huge amount of freshmen try out vice makes the game really fun which helps teh turn out of players but we should be very deep in a few years

Wow...that was too long to read...so i scimmed over it. Good points. I dont know the guy, but The blackman coach must be pretty decent to put up with the players there. I know that Blackman prides itself on "playing heard" and with "heart", but there is something wrong when a team is constantly wanting to fight refs, other teams, and brag about who they took out of games. It isnt like the refs are particularly unfair to them; their players just react much differently than most do. So, go Blackman's coach for being able to stand that.

first of all we have never bragged about takin anyone out of a game so dont put us down like that and we havent had anyone try to fight a ref yet this year so i guess where doin better

i feel compelled to respond to a number of comments made on this thread.

first (and least importantly) - vasilios, while this cheevers may be a great coach and, being from ireland, is clearly endowed with superior genetic material, comparison of any kind to ajit is not flattering. the man is at best a mediocre coach and he has been a cancerous influence on youth soccer in the midstate area. he has had successful teams primarily because his club has, until brentwood's relatively recent reassertion, had a near stranglehold on the talent-rich williamson county area, not because of any real talent coaching. cheevers's readily accepted superiority to that coach does not say much at all. (to the moderator: my apologies for the somewhat scathing nature of this invective, but ajit's negative legacy and influence is one of those issues that it would be a service to the soccer community to air out, anyway...)

second - manu721, while success is certainly an important indicator of a coach's ability, it can be more than a little misleading. most perennial powers have the ability to recruit, or attract players, in a self-perpetuating cycle, based on the fact that they are perennial powers, or are consistently fed by a solid local select program. coaching seems to me to be one of those things that affects a program's success, in most cases, only on the margin. certainly having a coach who understands the game rather than a history teacher with extra free time and good intentions is indispensable, but once a certain threshold of knowledge has been reached, it seems that differences in coaching ability are generally overridden by, as has been discussed, the talent that comes into the program and, to a lesser extent, the leadership capacity of the more senior players within the program. evidence of truly great coaching is when a program manages to reach perennial power status without benefiting from the feeders that began this paragraph, and...

third - flashgordon, i have to agree with the positivity of your assessment of ken mcdonald. he is the coach that comes to mind as having achieved that very feat with which i left off. his program at FRA has been consistently successful and competitive with D2 and AAA teams without the advantage of consistently talented classes that most superpowers boast (notwithstanding an exceptional class of '05 that included his son and a number of other D1 signees). his teams reliably play a game that resembles soccer. another coach who seemed to be on the right track, seemed to to succeed in getting his kids to work together in an organized system was the coach over at JPII in '04. i believe that '05 was a rough year and have no idea how they've fared so far this year, but i believe that if the same coach is still there, he is worth watching.

i do not mean, in anything said above, to belittle the important role that coaches play in their teams' performance, i mean simply to point out that the best coach in the world can generally only affect things to a certain extent and that, in the setting of high school soccer, so long as the coach meets minimum standards and is capable of holding his team together and providing a modicum of positive guidance, with notable exceptions like mcdonald's (and some few others), the greatest determinant of a program's success is the quality of its players, which is usually determined in select play before the kids ever set foot on a high school pitch.

For a guy named "goo" you sure are articulate.

well if u feel this way about ajit that is ur opinion, but neway cheevers is one of the best coaches in the state, if he was ur coach u would say the same.