Alcoa

cephus23

He was quoted by an Alcoa supporter as saying, "he wasn't afraid of Maryville", "Alcoa should be commended for playing up" "Maryville never contacted him at Riverdale for a game", and; "He never saw Maryville playing Oak Ridge or Dobyns Bennet". If he actually said all of that I think it could be said he took a few shots. I could care less either way. And don't feel bad about the fear factor thing either some exuberant AHS fans have already accused us of being scared of Rankin. :)

I don't think Rankin was "taking any shots", he was just stating the facts as to why he's not scared of Maryville. If you perceive that as taking shots, then you're entitled to your opinion. The fact remains that MHS is a 4A school (close to being 5A), and Alcoa is a little 2A school, so MHS should have more of a base to choose from. So, of course they should win. I hope he instills some fire into our guys to make them believe that they can beat Maryville and not get out there like deer in headlights (again).

Now, that being said, this thread isn't Maryville-Alcoa, it's about our head coach. I think Maryville fans can't stand it when they aren't in the limelight, even on a forum that has nothing to do with them (see top: 1A-2A-3A).

Edited by tornadogold

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We played Alcoa last season and they were by far the best team we played all season. They put a good wipping on us (36-6). We had a hard time believing that Maryville could beat them so handly. By playing Alcoa it made us a better team. We ended up winning our district and lost in the Regional Finials by 3 points to the 3A state runner up Bowling Green. Should have won fumbled on the 3 yard line on first down. Last year against Alcoa our 1st year QB struggled throwing 2 picks in the 1st quarter that set the tone for the rest of the game. He did however, ended up playing well the rest of the season threw for around 1,500 yards and set the school record for complection percentage 64%. We also has a RB(Emanuel Taylor) who rushed for over 1,600 yards in his first year of playing organize football. He is up for Mr. Football this season and will be a D.1 player. West Virginia is coming down next week to give him a visit. I thought Alcoa played with class and Branden Warren should have not been thrown out of the game. We look forward playing Alcoa next year and should give them a better game. The game is still on and will be the first game 6:00 of the Bowl schedule in Trigg County.

If you are really from Hopkinsville, then you are to be commended for your class! It was a very poorly called game last year. Hope it's better this year! Glad it's the 1st game, it was too darn hot last year!

Checking back for some names and see there are none posted yet.

FBE as a long time supporter of Maryville/Blount Co athletics you should already have full knowledge of the names of any local athlete from Maryville/Blount/and yes even Alcoa who has moved on to bigger and better things. Just in case, and since you're curious, here is a list of the Alcoa's FB players and the date of their graduation from AHS. They certainly all didn't contribute in the same amounts, but were all in uniform of the schools listed and not as walk-ons.

50s Boomer Borring UT

50s Bobby Dover Georgia Tech

50s Bill Sennett Georgia Tech

50s Bobby Wolfe Georgia Tech

60s Gary Hart Vanderbilt

60s Tommy Yates Furman

67 Albert Davis TN State, Philadelphia Eagles

67 David Davis TN State, Green Bay Packers

69 Tim George CN, Cin. Bengals, Cleavland Browns

71 Ned Lidval Kentucky

73 David Grear Georgia Tech

77 Mark Love UT

77 Barry Lail ETSU

81 Todd Upton UT

81 Mitch Love Appy State

86 Willie Lundy CN

90 Billy Williams UT, Arizona Cardinals

90 Chad Smith MTSU

90 Kevin Jackson TN Tech

90 Jamie Henry UT

90 Shannon Mitchell Georgia, SanDiego Chargers

96 Korey Conner MTSU

I'm sure I've missed someone along the line, but it's the list as I've researched it. I'm not comparing Alcoa to Maryville or anyone else, just providing requested information. I've not included recent signees because they have yet to don the uniform of where they have signed, or Albert Davis Jr. 94' who did recieve a scholarship from Georgia but decided to enter the MLB draft instead.

There is now way there will be a State Campionship for Alcoa this year. Their 3 man team is gone and this will affect them in a large way.

HA!!! Alcoa has an excellent chance of going back to the 'Boro! Rae Sykes will be ready to go, the 2 MVP's from the championship game will be back, an awesome quarterback (who, by the way, got lots of playing time last year, so he can't be called a "rookie"), a very talented Senior class, plus a lot of talented underclassmen!!! I see Alcoa back at the 'Boro with Rankin at the helm!

Edited by tornadogold

HA!!! Alcoa has an excellent chance of going back to the 'Boro! Rae Sykes will be ready to go, the 2 MVP's from the championship game will be back, an awesome quarterback (who, by the way, got lots of playing time last year, so he can't be called a "rookie"), a very talented Senior class, plus a lot of talented underclassmen!!! I see Alcoa back at the 'Boro with Rankin at the helm!

I see Alcoa getting back to the SC Game with Rankin at the helm. 2A in East TN is very weak so who besides Alcoa could win? Happy Valley? Who else?

FBE as a long time supporter of Maryville/Blount Co athletics you should already have full knowledge of the names of any local athlete from Maryville/Blount/and yes even Alcoa who has moved on to bigger and better things. Just in case, and since you're curious, here is a list of the Alcoa's FB players and the date of their graduation from AHS. They certainly all didn't contribute in the same amounts, but were all in uniform of the schools listed and not as walk-ons.

50s Boomer Borring UT

50s Bobby Dover Georgia Tech

50s Bill Sennett Georgia Tech

50s Bobby Wolfe Georgia Tech

60s Gary Hart Vanderbilt

60s Tommy Yates Furman

67 Albert Davis TN State, Philadelphia Eagles

67 David Davis TN State, Green Bay Packers

69 Tim George CN, Cin. Bengals, Cleavland Browns

71 Ned Lidval Kentucky

73 David Grear Georgia Tech

77 Mark Love UT

77 Barry Lail ETSU

81 Todd Upton UT

81 Mitch Love Appy State

86 Willie Lundy CN

90 Billy Williams UT, Arizona Cardinals

90 Chad Smith MTSU

90 Kevin Jackson TN Tech

90 Jamie Henry UT

90 Shannon Mitchell Georgia, SanDiego Chargers

96 Korey Conner MTSU

I'm sure I've missed someone along the line, but it's the list as I've researched it. I'm not comparing Alcoa to Maryville or anyone else, just providing requested information. I've not included recent signees because they have yet to don the uniform of where they have signed, or Albert Davis Jr. 94' who did recieve a scholarship from Georgia but decided to enter the MLB draft instead.

I work with Gary Hart who is mentioned in your list, here in Oak Ridge, he was also drafted by the Washington Redskins in 1965. FYI :thumb:

I work with Gary Hart who is mentioned in your list, here in Oak Ridge, he was also drafted by the Washington Redskins in 1965. FYI :thumb:

I also have been made aware that I didn't include Tyrus Gilmore from the AHS class of 92' who played linebacker for Mississippi State.