cumberland co. and shelbyville?

mcb14

Any Cumberland county fans that were at the game got any comments as to what happened? I'm VERY surprised Shelbyville won this one. :thumb:

I see several reasons we lost. We didn't bring our A game, Shelbyville's reputation and coaching experience, the inside game, and distractions at home.

While the coaching staff and team should have been able to give total attention to the upcoming game, they were thrown a bombshell by the Cumb. Co. School Board Thursday night. Coach Smith is moving to the new school, Stone Memorial, next year. It is my understanding that most of the team would be either choosing to go there as upcoming Seniors or zoned there as underclassmen. However, the school board decided that there will be no Senior class at the new school, so all current juniors will be staying at CCHS. Thus the returning team members and coaching staff will now be split up for next year. Everyone was scurrying around on Friday trying to get the Board to reverse this decision. Thankfully, they have now called a special board meeting for Monday night to readdress the issue. Not excuses...but distractions that we did not need while facing a team like Shelbyville.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see several reasons we lost. We didn't bring our A game, Shelbyville's reputation and coaching experience, the inside game, and distractions at home.

While the coaching staff and team should have been able to give total attention to the upcoming game, they were thrown a bombshell by the Cumb. Co. School Board Thursday night. Coach Smith is moving to the new school, Stone Memorial, next year. It is my understanding that most of the team would be either choosing to go there as upcoming Seniors or zoned there as underclassmen. However, the school board decided that there will be no Senior class at the new school, so all current juniors will be staying at CCHS. Thus the returning team members and coaching staff will now be split up for next year. Everyone was scurrying around on Friday trying to get the Board to reverse this decision. Thankfully, they have now called a special board meeting for Monday night to readdress the issue. Not excuses...but distractions that we did not need while facing a team like Shelbyville.

That would be a distraction.

I was not surprised to see them beat Cookeville or Siegel. I have not posted I was surprised when they beat those 2 teams. I have watched Shelbyville play twice this year and I honestly thought Riverdale was just the better team. This was also the case with Crossville. I saw Crossville play 3 times this year and they were awesome every time I saw them play. CC will usually bombard you with 3 pointers. Just wanted to know if they just couldn't hit last night or??? Anybody from Cumberland Co. have an opinion that was at the game?

P.S. I have nothing against Shelbyville players. However, I think VERY FEW people outside Bedford Co. are rooting for them. :thumb:

I am from outside of Bedford County and I am definitley rooting for them to win. They have two of the best coaches in the state in Coach Burkey and Harlow. Nobody expected them to be where they are after losing Insel, but they are back. Also, they have great people playing for them and supporting them. Good luck Eaglettes and especially Kayla. Shoot the lights out Thursday night!!!!!!

I am from outside of Bedford County and I am definitley rooting for them to win. They have two of the best coaches in the state in Coach Burkey and Harlow. Nobody expected them to be where they are after losing Insel, but they are back. Also, they have great people playing for them and supporting them. Good luck Eaglettes and especially Kayla. Shoot the lights out Thursday night!!!!!!

You might as well be from Shelbyville as much time as you spent there! I don't think anyone who spent as much time playing for the SSS/Flight and who has signed with MTSU could help but be biased for Shelbyville. Further connections with Harlow and Burkey make you a complete homer. Thats okay you like who you like however you don't run into many people outside of Bedford county and the SSS / Flight group who pull the Ville.

If you don't mind I think I wil pull for Cleveland I know you wont though.

Good Luck to all!

Well, I'm from Green Bay, WI. I follow girls basketball all over the country. Here in WI I root for Milwaukee Pius and Janesville teams, but WI is not quite as strong overall as are NY, OR, CA, TX, TN, IN, OH. Say all you want about Wilson Central and the others - this is a down year in Tennessee girls basketball. Heritage with Cait McMahon was the only team with a chance to make a national impression, and with Cait going down, that left some pretty good state teams, but no powerhouses at the level of Mt. Juliet last year and Shelbyville's good teams the past two decades. I root for Shelbyville because they put Tennessee girl's high school basketball on the national map. They have a great local program that nurtures home-grown talent in the lower classes AND parents in other counties desire to have their prodigies get some good scholarships by playing for phenomenal coaches like Insell and Burkey. So, of course, the rest of the state teams spend their time making disparaging claims out of jealousy, when they should be complimenting Shelbyville for helping to make the Tennessee reputation for women's high school basketball a national topic. I'm pretty sure the Shelbyville fans are pretty immune to listening to "sour grapes" talk from other team's fans, but I just thought the posters would be interested (and surprised) at the amount of support programs like Shelbyville has from overall girl's high school fans outside of the local area like myself!

You might as well be from Shelbyville as much time as you spent there! I don't think anyone who spent as much time playing for the SSS/Flight and who has signed with MTSU could help but be biased for Shelbyville. Further connections with Harlow and Burkey make you a complete homer. Thats okay you like who you like however you don't run into many people outside of Bedford county and the SSS / Flight group who pull the Ville.

If you don't mind I think I wil pull for Cleveland I know you wont though.

Good Luck to all!

You are a classy lady. Good uck to your daughter. Jack is doing great and enjoying life. Has calmed down a bit.

no I don't and evidently, you don't want to explain,. Just throwing out another lie and not backing it up. Typical.

Wingman,

85warrior is quite a piece of work....... reminds me of Golem in the Hobbit. It sits and waits......it wants the ring, or in this case the Gold Balls............. whenever SCHS loses it pops from the mist to spew it's venom and then back into the darkness awaiting their next mistake. :) Logic and reason have nothing to do with it. If White Co does well, it post more, if not you only hear from it when the Eaglettes falter. <_< It's actually quite sad. :) What it really wants is a CCHS fan to post a refs were terrible, scorekeeper cheated or ANYTHING to use it's favorite word, "typical". But the CCHS fans at the game were waaaaaaaay to classy for that kind of garbage. Plain and simple they were cold from outside. That's what beat them.

**No Golems were hurt or injured in the posting of this message.**

Edited by FlatCreekJim

Update:

The Cumberland County School Board met tonight and reversed their decision of last Thursday night. Stone Memorial will have a senior class...Now most of the returning CCHS team members will be going to Stone with Coach Smith. I have heard that Stone will probably be a AA school.

Update:

The Cumberland County School Board met tonight and reversed their decision of last Thursday night. Stone Memorial will have a senior class...Now most of the returning CCHS team members will be going to Stone with Coach Smith. I have heard that Stone will probably be a AA school.

So Stone Memorial will instantly be a AA state contender! ;)

So they are going to win with players that didn't attend there last year? :thumb::thumb::lol::lol:

Good luck to the Coach and young ladies. I know 1st hand what it's like to work for a Senior Year and lose it to an odd twist of fate.

:thumb: Congrats to SCHS on the win against our Lady Jets. Yes, we are dissapointed and no, there were no unfair reasons the Lady Jets didn't win. As stated in earlier posts, we didn't bring our A game and didn't hit our outside shots on Saturday, or for that matter on Thursday either against Cleveland. No sour grapes or classless excuses for either loss. We just didn't play well enough to win in the games that really counted. Great job Coach Smith and the players for giving us the most wins ever in CCHS Lady Jet History (that I know of). I would love to see Cleveland and Shelbyville play for the ball and I'm not sure who I would pull for. I guess I would have to lean toward Cleveland since we played them four times and lost three and the fact that they are in our district, not because I have anything against SCHS. Both teams have great players and coaches and are respected statewide. Good luck to all teams, but remember, there will be only one team in each division that won't go home saying "We were so close, if only we had XXXX"

Wingman,

85warrior is quite a piece of work....... reminds me of Golem in the Hobbit. It sits and waits......it wants the ring, or in this case the Gold Balls............. whenever SCHS loses it pops from the mist to spew it's venom and then back into the darkness awaiting their next mistake. :lol: Logic and reason have nothing to do with it. If White Co does well, it post more, if not you only hear from it when the Eaglettes falter. :thumb: It's actually quite sad. :lol: What it really wants is a CCHS fan to post a refs were terrible, scorekeeper cheated or ANYTHING to use it's favorite word, "typical". But the CCHS fans at the game were waaaaaaaay to classy for that kind of garbage. Plain and simple they were cold from outside. That's what beat them.

**No Golems were hurt or injured in the posting of this message.**

I don't want gold balls if it takes other counties best talent to get the gold balls. :thumb:

What good would it do if 2 of Crossvilles best players drove 25 miles down the mountain to play for us and we won it all? We'd just be an all star team. I'd rather lose in the region with hometown girls. ;)

Edited by 85warrior