Private schools unfair advantage?

WCBalla

Okay. He made the move and enrolled, in another state, without knowledge of the program...just knowing the previous quarterback threw for a zillion yards and an all-star receiver is returning (anyone that reads the paper knows that much). I'll drop it.

It seems to me that is and was pretty easy to find out that Temple had an outstanding qb last year and that he graduated. I live more than 200 miles from their and I knew it - not to mention ... I'm old. This kid just lives across the border. Why wouldn't he want to set himself up for success and a potential shot a playing at the next level - no matter what division it is?

There are tons kids that "transfer" to Riverdale to play football and tons of ladies that "transfer" to Shelbyville. I wonder how all those families in the Shelbyville are able to find jobs? <_<

Edited by tnsddeveloper

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a private school athlete and I can truthfully say I came to the school purely for the education. Never mind that I've lettered in three Varsity sports since my freshman year. All Region as a freshman. At my school, students on financial aid are not eligible for TSSAA sports. I don't know where the theory about "writing checks and covering tuition for recruits" came from, but it's certainly not an issue here. And did I mention I live 30+ miles from my school? Still I wasn't recruited... I've had D1 offers... Our school has nothing to offer "recruits" except a tuition bill. And now we have to play bigger schools because the smaller ones who wouldn't be any good anyway pitched a fit about all the "recruiting" we were doing.

Honestly, I think private schools often have an advantage because of their own money, not their stolen athletes. While there is alot of talent in public schools, private school patrons can afford private lessons, travel teams, specialized training, or what have you. The private school kids' parents are going to focus on their child's development and ability, which results in a higher concentration of able athletes. Unfortunately, many public school kids don't have this opportunity. It's sad, but it's an inevitable fact. It isn't anyone's fault that alot of private school student athletes have more resources.

Temple has a new 6'2" quarterback this fall, a senior, who crossed the state line from N Georgia to play one year at a new school. I don't think there's any way a senior makes that decision unless he knows exactly what's awaiting him, any competition for the position, and I know a coach isn't supposed to discuss football with a non-feeder student until that student is enrolled. How did he know Temple would be the best place for him? Could any public schools take in a student from out of state who didn't change residence?

There is nothing wrong with the kid talking football with school officials as long as the school did not make the first contact.

Surely he asked questions when he visited, both academic and athletic. Of course he is not going to go into it blindly. The kid wants the oppurtunity to play and knows he can get it at Temple. (and a good education)

Not sure how the change of residence thing works when it is out of state but I am sure they have looked into it.

Not all private schools have a bunch of rich kids that can afford private lessons. It is not about money with DI privates. Look at the facilities that most DI private schools in Chattanooga have. Temple has practically nothing as far as facilities. Boyd has very little as well.

The main advantage is the ability to draw (not recruit) kids from a larger area than the public schools who have to play with what they have.

Edited by mtnman

• 2 weeks later...

Private schools swept AA baseball and softball in both Region 3 and 4 today, glad to see the multiplier evened things out so much. None of the three played in AA last season, two would likely still be eligible for A if not for the multiplier. There are only three private schools in District 5-AA and 6-AA out of about 16 schools, and two of those took a region today. But there's no advantage.

Edited by Indian

Private schools swept AA baseball and softball in both Region 3 and 4 today, glad to see the multiplier evened things out so much. None of the three played in AA last season, two would likely still be eligible for A if not for the multiplier. There are only three private schools in District 5-AA and 6-AA out of about 16 schools, and two of those took a region today. But there's no advantage.

Was there a point?

Indian,

So what is the problem? The private schools in D1 offer NO FINANCIAL AID for their student athletes so what is the advantage?

1. Are private school kids smarter than public school kids?

2. Are private school coaches better?

3. Are private school athletes better?

4. Do the private school athletes work harder on the athletic field?

What point are you trying to make? As a former public school athlete I competed agains kids from McCallie, Baylor, Christian Brother, Father Ryan, etc... and could care less where they were from. I was going to out work them during the off season to make sure I didn't loose to anyone if possible. For the most part high school athletic competitions are won by the athletes that are in superior condition and have the most confidence but have average athletic skills.

Edited by cbg

Indian,

So what is the problem? The private schools in D1 off NO FINANCIAL AID for their student athletes so what is the advantage?

1. Are private school kids smarter than public school kids?

2. Are private school coaches better?

3. Are private school athletes better?

4. Do the private school athletes work harder on the athletic field?

What point are you trying to make? As a former public school athlete I competed agains kids from McCallie, Baylor, Christian Brother, Father Ryan, etc... and could care less where they were from. I was going to out work them during the off season to make sure I didn't loose to anyone if possible. For the most part high school athletic competitions are won by the athletes that are in superior condition and have the most confidence but have average athletic skills.

Do private schools that play Class A/AA have an advantage due to the fact that they are often in urban areas and have large populations to choose from? How many people live in a 25 mile radius of Marshall Co. compared to a 25 mile radius of David Lipscomb? How many people live within 25 mile of Ezell-Harding compared to a 25 mile radius of Loretto? I still feel that is the advantage.

Do private schools that play Class A/AA have an advantage due to the fact that they are often in urban areas and have large populations to choose from? How many people live in a 25 mile radius of Marshall Co. compared to a 25 mile radius of David Lipscomb? How many people live within 25 mile of Ezell-Harding compared to a 25 mile radius of Loretto? I still feel that is the advantage.

Boyd-Buchanan beat East Ridge in softball, technically ER is outside Chattanooga and is its own town, but it's in Hamilton County and if not for a city limit sign you couldn't tell the difference. East Ridge has won a couple of Class AAA state titles, been strong in AA ever since dropping down, has a leadoff batter signed to play at Tennessee, but they were held to just two or three hits. Same story for Temple, Grace in basketball around here, Chattanooga Christian moved up to AA in girls' basketball and won the district, their boys moved up and finished third in a nine-team AA district. Their opponents included city and rural schools. The private schools are winning over both.

The following information came from census.gov:

Pop est. Lewisburg Zip Code 37091 is 18,851.

Pop. in Lipscomb Zip 37204 is 11,024.

2005 population estimate for Davidson County, Tennessee is 575,261

The 2004 pop. est. for Loretto zip code 38469 is 3,921

Pop. in Ezell Harding Zip Code 37013 is 51,343.

2005 population estimate for Davidson County, Tennessee is 575,261

Do the Private school pull kids from from outside these zip codes? Absolutely. Do they in fact pull kids from outside Davidson Co? Absolutley. Is that legal? Absolutely. Does the multiplier negate the obvious demographic differences between these schools? In my opinion it does not

edited: Obviously a reference to the Region 5-AA Baseball Tourney

Edited by ctf33

1st: I agree with the merit system.

2nd: I do not believe that the TSSAA will ever do it (yet I still hold out hope)

3rd: Multiplier was not designed to make privates go 0-30, but as a stop gap measure before the "nuclear option" of a total split happened.