Other state tournament formats

CoachDelgado

Alabama - 3 classifications (1-4A, 5A and 6A) - 8 man double-elimination - Places 4 per division

Alaska - 2 classifications (1A/2A/3A and 4A) - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

Arizona - 4 classifications (1A/2A, 3A, 4A, and 5A) - 1A/2A, 3A and 4A are 16 man double-elimination and 5A is 23 man double-elimination- Places 6 per division

Arkansas - wrestling is not a sponsored sport

California - 1 classification - 40 man double-elimination - Places 8

Colorado - 4 classifications (2A, 3A, 4A and 5A) - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

Connecticut - 1 classification - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6

Delaware - 1 classification - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6

Florida - 3 classifications (1A, 2A and 3A) - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

Georgia - 5 classifications (A, AA, AAA, AAAA, and AAAAA) - A is 8 man , AA and AAA are 16 man, AAAA and AAAAA are 32 man. All are double elimination - Places 6 per division

Hawaii - 2 classifications (Boys and Girls) - 20 man/woman outbrackets are single-elimination and then double-elimination from round of 16 - Places 6 per division

Idaho - 4 classifications (1A/2A, 3A, 4A, and 5A) - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

Illinois - 2 classifications (A and AA) - A is 12 man carry from the finalists and AA is 24 man carry from the semi-finalists - A places 4 and AA places 6

Indiana - 1 classification - 16 man bracket, round of 16 single-elimination, round of 8 losers drop to consy bracket for 5th to 8th place, semi-final losers wrestle for 3rd and 4th - Places 8

Iowa - 3 classifications (1A, 2A and 3A) - 16 man double-elimination - Places 8 per division

Kansas - 4 classifications (1-2-3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A) - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

Kentucky - 32 mand double-elimination - Places 8

Louisiana - 3 classifications (Division I, Division II, and Division III) - Division I has a 32 man double-elimination bracket the largest of which had 23 wrestlers, Division II has a 16 man bracket the largest of which had 13 wrestlers, and Division III has a 16 man bracket the largest of which had 13 wrestlers. All were double-elimination - Places 6 per division Hurricaine Katrina likely affected the numbers in the tournament. I believe that all wrestlers qualify for the state tournament. There is no regional tournament in the season schedule.

Maine - 1 classification - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6

Maryland -

Massachusettes - 1 classification - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6

Michigan - 4 classifications (Division 1, Division 2, Division 3, and Division 4) - 16 man double-elimination - Places 8 per division

Minnesota - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

Mississippi - wrestling is not a sponsored sport

Missouri - 4 classifications (Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, and Class 4) - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

Montana - 3 classifications (Class AA, Class A, and Class BC) - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

Nebraska - 4 classifications (Class A, Class B, Class C, and Class D) - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

Nevada - 3 classifications (Class 2A, Class 3A, and Class 4A) - 8 man double-elimination - Places 4 per division

New England - includes states of Connecticut, Massachusettes, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island and Vermont - 22 man outbrackets are single elimination and then 16 man carry from semi-finals - Places 6

New Hampshire - 2 classifications (Division I and II) - bracketing not found - Places 6 in Division I and 4 in Division II

New Jersey - 1 classification - 24 man double-elimination - Places 8

New Mexico - 3 classifications (Class A-AAA, Class AAAA, and Class AAAAA) - 16 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

New York - 2 classifications (Division 1 and Division 2) - 12 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

North Carolina -

North Dakota -

Ohio -

Oklahoma -

Oregon -

Pennsylvania - 2 classifications (AA and AAA) - both 16 man double-elimination - Places 8 per division

Rhode Island - 1 classification - up to 25 in a bracket - outbrackets are single elimination and then 16 man carry from semi-finals - Places 6

South Carolina -

South Dakota -

Tennessee - 2 classifications (Divisions I and II) - Division I - 32 man carry from semi-finals; Division II - ~16 man double-elimination - Places 6 per division

Texas -

Utah -

Vermont - unable to locate information

Virginia -

Washington -

West Virginia -

Wisconsin -

Wyoming -

Edited by CoachDelgado

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryland- 2 Public Classifications (1A/2A-small schools and 3A/4A Large Schools), 1 private division.

Point system for entering and seeding the Regionals--Top 8 scorers Qualify for one of 4 Regions, and top 4 in district tourneys are entered by Pigtail. 16 Man Bracket for state, top 4 per Region. Double Elimination. Top 6 Medal.

Virginia-3 Public Classifications and One Private. Districts,4 16-man Regionals, and 16-man State, 4 per Region. Top 8 Medal.

Georgia:

A - 8 man bracket double elimination

AAA - 16 man bracket double elimination

AAA - 16 man bracket double elimination (will be 32 man next year)

AAAA - 32 man bracket double elimination

AAAAAA - 32 man bracket double elimination

Utah, which is about half the size of TN in population, has 5 divisions. (double elem.)

Check out this state...

Wasatch HS is located way out of the way with no one around but Elk & Mountain Lions (like being in Dickson, TN or maybe Fayettville, TN :thumb:) and has clearly dominated the 3-A division.

Would anyone like to guess some of the notables, out of this little Heber, UT., high school, that have benefited from the division there? (check out the multi-state champs there, and The 2005-2006 Nat'l Senior Rankings: 3 from UT, 2 from GA and 1 from TN)

Also, why would the major daily in that state have such detailed history of this sport? Is it possible that the divisions haven’t hurt the interest level there? Where do we rank nationally in tournaments compared to this small state? Almost always a drive to get to other school's duals and tournaments for many schools, but the sport is doing fine. Why?

Note: A smart fan, parent, wrestler, or scout will know how a wrestler stacks up against those of other divisions (ask RMC about a "Goins" at a small North GA school). Some big 12 schools looked Westward and were able to figure it out too. :D

soms

Edited by Sommers

Georgia:

A - 8 man bracket double elimination

AAA - 16 man bracket double elimination

AAA - 16 man bracket double elimination (will be 32 man next year)

AAAA - 32 man bracket double elimination

AAAAAA - 32 man bracket double elimination

While I think individual 5 state champions per weight is overkill, Georgia deserves some applause for growing wrestling within the state. Looks to me like someone could have one heck of a tournament after your states by trying to get the top 2 or 3 from each division to wrestle off for a true baddest boy in the state title.

TN needs to go to the double elimination for the individual tournament and expand the duals competition. May be worth considering expanding the bracket to 40 people per class as well.

While I think individual 5 state champions per weight is overkill, Georgia deserves some applause for growing wrestling within the state. Looks to me like someone could have one heck of a tournament after your states by trying to get the top 2 or 3 from each division to wrestle off for a true baddest boy in the state title.

TN needs to go to the double elimination for the individual tournament and expand the duals competition. May be worth considering expanding the bracket to 40 people per class as well.

maj..you're preaching to the choir....we'd like to find out who is the biggest and baddest just like the Tennessee guys would.

I do not understand why Tennessee doesn't do double elimination. We run all 5 of ours in the same time period Tennessee runs 2.

Illinois has two classes. Class A, 12-man with carry from semifinals, places 4; AA, 24-man with carry from quarterfinals, places 6 (also, consolation semis do not cross over, and if it's a rematch, the prior result is automatically repeated). No team scoring; team titles are awarded only at the duals.

Hawai‘i uses a 20 draw, pigtail losers out, rest is double elimination for six places. One class, with a separate tournament for girls. The same in Texas, except that it's only a 16 draw.

Edited by silverpie

maj..you're preaching to the choir....we'd like to find out who is the biggest and baddest just like the Tennessee guys would.

I do not understand why Tennessee doesn't do double elimination. We run all 5 of ours in the same time period Tennessee runs 2.

California gets done in 2 days while TN takes 3 and California is a 40 man ALL-DIVISIONS bracket. One true champion out of something like 850 high schools.

Ohio is 3 divisions(I,II,III). Each has a 16 man double elimination bracket. 8 place winners

Oklahoma has 4 divisions(2A,3A, 4A,5A) 8 man double elimination bracket. 4 place winners

Oregon 3 divisions(1A/2A,3A,4A) 1A/2A is 16 man double elimination bracket. 6 place winners. 3A & 4A is 32 man double elimination with 8 place winners.

South Carolina has 3 divisions(1A/2A, 3A, 4A) all are 8 man double elimination brackets with 4 place winners.

South Dakota is 2 divisions(A & :) both are 16 man carry to the semis. 7 place winners

Texas is 2 divisions(boys and girls) 16 person double elimination. 6 place winners

Utah is 5 divisions(1A, 2A,3A,4A,5A) 5A and 4A are 32 man double elimination with 6 place winners. 3A and 2A are 16 man double elimination 6 place winners. 1A is an 8 man double elimination with 4 place winners

Virginia has 3 divisions(1A,2A,3A) 16 man double elimination bracket. 8 place winners.

Washington is 4 divisions(1A/B,2A,3A,4A) 16 man double elimination bracket with 8 place winners.

West Virginia is 2 divisions(1A/2A, 3A) 16 man double elimination bracket with 6

place winners.

Wisconsin is 3 divisions(I,II,III) Division 1 is a 16 man double elimination for 5th place. Semifinal losers wrestle for 3rd and 4th. Div. 2 and 3 are 12 man double elimination for 5th. Semifinal losers wrestle for 3rd and 4th. div 2 and 3 are 8 man full brackets plus 4 wrestlers receiving byes in the first round. 6 places in all divisions.

Wyoming is 3 divisions(2A,3A,4A) 16 man double elimination bracket with 6 place winners.

Edited by ooooo