Rankings week of 3/12-19

mjuhb

Greg141 this isn't directed to you.

As a coach I feel a 17-0 or even a 11-0 score is too much. Last year we scrimmaged Franklin Girls J.V. team they were up 7-0 at half the game ended 8-0.

The Franklin Coach put the requirement in that goals must come from headers(the one that scored in the second didn't he pulled her). My girls didn't have a clue and left the field having felt they had played a much better second half(they did actually) and Franklin left knowing that they were the better team. In my eyes the perfect ending.(well except for the loss) I respect that coach much more than if the score had ended 15-0 and what would have been gained if it had? I feel you can show class even in at the high school level.

coachof3

I think Big G put it best by saying you're danged if you do and you'er danged if you dont. You're posting opinions on class which can be taken as criticism toward us (who reported in good faith) and other high scoring schools who may not have. One of those scores was posted on a thread asking for results-granted the first one 11-2 was posted as its own thread but the 17-0 score was posted not trying to start anything. (Haywood beat crockett 9-0 last night but it wasn't reported because i'd bet svbaccken doesn't want to get attacked). Our team does not have tryout-s we take everybody. On a team of 25 we have maybe 15 true soccer players (do travel in the fall and go to summer camps). 11 of those 17 goals were scored by FRESHMAN players who will in all liklihood will not play another game and if you knew how unexperienced and green most are you wouldn't be going off about "class" or any other dis.

I appreciate the perscpective of your's and any coach-but constructive criticism is more helpful and productive than just across the board labeling of "no class". Everything has to be put into context so that on these posts we can have informed and informative input. Yes the scores were off the charts-but there was creative scoring limitation put into place and they were our worst players on the team and if you play keep away it is just as degrading.

We were part of a u-12 travel team that competed in Tupelo this fall that took three 10-0 beatings. it was tough to watch but we knew they were letting kids that never scored have a crack at it and they were scoring. We understood that it was competitive soccer-but the kids still had a blast and were better for the experience.

Until the TSSAA puts into place a "mercy or slaughter rule" then it is just going to happen ocassionally but it doesn't mean that team is class-less. Keep an open-mind.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you totally, but I would say that we are in the minority on this one. Too often the feeling is, "It is my job to score on you, and yours to stop me". I am trying to coach the whole player. Life decisions, playing with class, what to do when there is a bad call, showing respect to a team that is much weaker than you. Argue with me all you want, but I won't change my mindset.

This is why you have a gameplan in advance. Know what you are going to do if you go up, and need to put limitations on them. Don't yell out "don't score any more". Have a signal with your captains. It can be done. Look at Hendersonville, who were state champs. The most they ever scored was 11 goals. Could they have scored more... of course. Father Ryan scored 11 goals just once against team last season. On average, they beat teams by 4 or 5.

I think the problem with this whole situation, was that these games came back to back. Spread out, it probably wouldn't have seemed as bad. Hopefully they will be playing some stronger teams soon.

We play crockett tomorrow who haywood beat 9-0. I shutter to think what kind of remarks we are going to get if we post that score.

I think Big G put it best by saying you're danged if you do and you'er danged if you dont. You're posting opinions on class which can be taken as criticism toward us (who reported in good faith) and other high scoring schools who may not have. One of those scores was posted on a thread asking for results-granted the first one 11-2 was posted as its own thread but the 17-0 score was posted not trying to start anything. (Haywood beat crockett 9-0 last night but it wasn't reported because i'd bet svbaccken doesn't want to get attacked). Our team does not have tryout-s we take everybody. On a team of 25 we have maybe 15 true soccer players (do travel in the fall and go to summer camps). 11 of those 17 goals were scored by FRESHMAN players who will in all liklihood will not play another game and if you knew how unexperienced and green most are you wouldn't be going off about "class" or any other dis.

I appreciate the perscpective of your's and any coach-but constructive criticism is more helpful and productive than just across the board labeling of "no class". Everything has to be put into context so that on these posts we can have informed and informative input. Yes the scores were off the charts-but there was creative scoring limitation put into place and they were our worst players on the team and if you play keep away it is just as degrading.

We were part of a u-12 travel team that competed in Tupelo this fall that took three 10-0 beatings. it was tough to watch but we knew they were letting kids that never scored have a crack at it and they were scoring. We understood that it was competitive soccer-but the kids still had a blast and were better for the experience.

Until the TSSAA puts into place a "mercy or slaughter rule" then it is just going to happen ocassionally but it doesn't mean that team is class-less. Keep an open-mind.

You are correct... I apologize if you took it that I meant your team had no class. I really should not have lumped you into the "big bully" role, but understand an outsider's perspective for 28 goals in two games.

I will tell you this. Unless I see the game, I will not judge like I did previously about your team. Please convey my apologies to your team. Hopefully your hearts were in the right place, and these games were just one of those awkward situations that give you no choice but to score. I would also like to add that you have handled these posts with class and dignity, not flying off the handle. I appreciate that as well. Good luck with your season, and keep us posted.

You are correct... I apologize if you took it that I meant your team had no class. I really should not have lumped you into the "big bully" role, but understand an outsider's perspective for 28 goals in two games.

I will tell you this. Unless I see the game, I will not judge like I did previously about your team. Please convey my apologies to your team. Hopefully your hearts were in the right place, and these games were just one of those awkward situations that give you no choice but to score. I would also like to add that you have handled these posts with class and dignity, not flying off the handle. I appreciate that as well. Good luck with your season, and keep us posted.

I hope we will meet. Big G you are also a class act and we have always appreciated your perscpectives and posts. Thanks for the comments-we will eventually play competive schools like Westview, USJ, Madison, Bolton, Ridgeway and Sheffield and those will be the true tests of what we can do. And maybe our public school coaches who've never coached soccer and who get paid $1500/season will have the energy and motivation to lead our guys like they need to be led.

Edited by JOE23

AAA

1 Brentwood(2-0) 5-2 w Hillsboro 2-0 w at Clarksville 3/17 at Gallatin

2 Hendersonville(1-0) 1-0 w at Father Ryan 3/17 LaVergne

3 Blackman 3/17 at BGA 3/18 Smyrna

4 Bearden(1-0) 7-1 w at Sevier co

5 Houston

6 Farragut(1-0) 2-1 w Sullivan South 3/16 South-Doyle

7 McMinn co(0-1) 3-0 L Baylor 3/16 at Mcminn Central

8 Oak Ridge 3/16 Powell

9 Rossview(1-0) 8-0 w Northwest 3/16 Kenwood

10 Riverdale(1-0) 5-0 w at Franklin co 3/16 Smyrna

11 Germantown

12 Soddy-Daisy(1-0) 4-0 w East Ridge 3/16 Mccallie

13 Cordova

14 Tullahoma(1-0) 8-1 w at Oakland 3/15 at Ravenwood 3/16 at Independence

15 Sullivan South(0-1) 2-1 L at Farragut

16 Mt Juliet

17 Ravenwood(0-0-1)0-0 franklin 3/15 Tullahoma

18 Science Hill

19 Moristown West 3/13 Cocke co 3/17 at Dobyns-Bennett

20 Maryville

21 Clarksville(0-1) 2-0 L at Brentwood 3/16 at Hendersonville

22 Warren co(1-0) 2-1 w at Livington A 3/16 White co

23 Knox West(1-0) 5-2 w Clinton 3/16 Karns

24 Ooltewah(0-1) 1-0 L Mccallie

25 Shelbyville(0-1)3-1 L Siegel 3/16 at Oakland

26 Greenville(0-1) 1-0 L morristown east

27 Lenoir City 3/17 Kingston

28 Glencliff 3/13 Hume-Fogg 3/15 MLK

29 Siegel(1-0) 3-1 w at Shelbyville

30 Collierville

D2

1 Father Ryan(0-1) 1-0 L hendersonville 3/17 at Franklin

2 CBHS

3 MBA(0-1) 1-0 L at JP2 3/15 Brentwood A

4 McCallie(1-0) 1-0 at Ooltewah 3/16 at Soddy-Daisy

5 BGA(4-0) 4-0 w at Centennial 3/17 Blackman

6 Baylor(1-0) 3-0 w at Mcminn co

7 MUS

8 ECS

9 JP2(1-0)1-0 w MBA 3/16 at USN

10 Brentwood A 3/15 at MBA

AA/A

1 Notre Dame 3/16 Grace

2 CAK

3 Knox Catholic

4 CCS 4-0 w CSAS

5 FRA

6 Sheffield

7 Livington a(0-1) 2-1 L at Warren co 3/18 Station Camp

8 Grace 3/14 at Hixson 3/16 at Notre Dame

9 CPA

10 Madison a(1-0) 7-1 w Lexington

11 Station Camp 3/14 at Goodpasture 3/16 DCA

12 Dyersburg(2-0) 11-2 w Liberty 17-0 w Gibson Co 3/16 Crockett Co

13 Columbia a 3/16 Loretto

14 USJ 3/16 at JCS

15 White House(0-1) 4-0 L at Gallatin 3/16 at Beech

16 Giles Co 3/13 at Wayne co 3/16 Lawrece co

17 Hume-Fogg

18 Haywood(2-0) 6-0 w Chester co 9-0 w Crockett co

19 Westview(1-0) 6-0 w Zion christian

20 MLK(0-2) 4-2 L McGavock 4-0 L Antioch 3/16 Glencliff

21 Friendship

22 Elizabethton(0-1) 1-0 L at Tennessee 3/16 Dobyns Bennett

23 Pigeon Forge

24 Zion Christian(0-1) 6-0 L at westview 3.16 at Marshall co

25 Boyd Buchanan

if you don't see your teams games listed thats because i don't have your teams schedule

Big Games

3/14 Brentwood 2-0 Clarksville

Hendersonville 1-0 Father Ryan

Sullivan South 1-2 Farragut

Baylor 3-0 Mcminn co

Mccallie 1-0 Ooltewah

Warren co 2-1 Livington A

MBA at JP2

3/15 Tullahoma at Ravenwood

3/16 Mccallie at Soddy-Daisy

MLK at Glencliff

3/17 Blackman at BGA

updated with scores

My statement was a general statement not directed toward any one team. It only offers my opinion on the subject. I am certain that I did not label you with "no class" but I am also certain that I have a great respect for Franklin's coach. I am not familiar with your situation nor would it be wise for me to judge it.

Good luck to your team on the rest of the season.

Edited by coachof3

RE: Lopsided Games

Some thoughts to consider-

If a team chooses to play 110% to the final whistle- it is their right to do so. It is not illegal and should not be considered wrong as per the rules of the game.

Some believe in a different philosophy regarding this issue. They believe that a higher standard is available as an optional priority. This group believes in an old forgotten word called "Sportsmanship." To this shrinking society, sportsmanship overrides winning. Yes, sportsmanship overrides winning. This group would rather lose a game than win without sportsmanship. This group chooses not to run up the score- because they don't have too. This group would kick a ball out of bounds with an open net if the goalie was injured, rather than score the winner as the object of the game. Because without sportsmanship, winning is meaningless.

Many think those who show sportsmanship are weak, but it is sportsmanship that is the strongest player on the field always. It is noble to play 110% always, but it is better to play 110% with sportsmanship as the first priority. Something to think about.

Guest Number8

RE: Lopsided Games

Some thoughts to consider-

If a team chooses to play 110% to the final whistle- it is their right to do so. It is not illegal and should not be considered wrong as per the rules of the game.

O.K. i think we heard everybodies thoughts about this matter. I may looks like the un-sportsmanship guy, but i would never fool another team by "toying with them", stead i would help by telling them how to improve a lil bit. So i hope this matter is over if not please open another topic about this, cause we are missing the main topic.

Edited by Number8