BA vs. TSSAA Ruling In

itzme

Since you are new to the discussion, I will clue you in. VoluteerGeneral is a public supporter as well as a private supporter. His kids go public. He went private. He understands the issues and the stereotyping. I doubt he meant to stereotype all public school folks. I do think it is funny though that it tossed you into a tizzy. Now you can understand the frustration that private school supporters feel when people get on here and toss out rumor, innuendo, and misinformation as if it were fact.

Don't want to speak for VoGe again ... but I'm sure he knows where McEwen is since it really isn't that far from Jackson.

On a side note, you should try to get a better understanding of how the D1 and D2 private classifications work. D2 schools can offer scholarships. I don't know what percentage of Ensworth students receive aid, but I think I remember 16% do at MBA. Get over it. It is legal. That's why they are in D2.

As for "recruiting" - Ensworth is probably the closest private to those kids, so logistically it might make sense. They may be good students as well as good athletes. If you got some "recruiting" war story how Ensworth picked the kids up on a private jet full of hot ladies and fed the kids chicken wings in a hot tub ... well then sign me up. Otherwise, it is all rumor and innuendo and unless you are one of the kids parents, I seriously doubt you know anything about their individual situations.

You just made the case for us. Private schools offer better educations. And a lot of times, public schools aren't really doing the best they can. Most school systems are wrot with overspending and misutilization. How else can you explain how poorly educated some public systems (notice I said some) leave kids while privates schools spend LESS money per student to educate them?

Excuse me sir, let me inform you of a few things. I like how you enjoy speaking down to me as if I were a child. My intentions were to give the man an example of how he contradicted himself. I do not care if his kids go to a public school. Does that change the fact that he went against what he said he hated? When I eventually have kids I hope they attend a private school. What I mean is, I never tried to say public was better or equal to private. What you assumed of me was incorrect and inaccurate. I like how a few of my words have worked you into, what did you call it...ah yes, a tizzy. Lastly, the Ensworth comment. First thing is Ensworth is a solid hour or more from McEwen. It is not the closest private school. The kids happened to be in eighth going to ninth when they somehow picked the two kids up. If it were coincidence then why don't more kids who live an hour away head to Ensworth before they become freshmen. Also, I never tried to say that Ensworth could not recruit. All I said was it is not public schools fault for losing kids. Ensworth was an example I used to show how publick schools lose their kids. Furthermore, McEwen High could do nothing to keep their kids. So, looks like you stuck your foot in your own mouth. So please let volunteergeneral talk for himself, k? I do not think he needs big brother looking out for him.

Edited by Camdenlionpride

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you think public school x could do in Hamilton County, if it attracted many of the top students from the city, county and area, tested them before enrollment and denied entrance to anyone not making high enough, dismissed any trouble makers, had virtually every parent supporting children and had a school full of students who actually wanted to be there and wanted to go to college following? How high would ACT/SAT scores jump? How close to 100 percent would be the number moving on to college, or would it hit 100 percent? How would the numbers drop at an MBA, BA or McCallie if just anyone was allowed to walk into a classroom? Those are unanswerable, but so is the question on if the private schools are better when you're comparing apples and oranges when it comes to students.

But see Indian that is the reason for private schools. It isn't just athletics it is an enviroment where kids are given an opportunity to excell. I know many people who work extra jobs ( me included ) to send their kids to a place where education is the #1 goal. This also gives kids who want the things you mentioned ( higher ACT, college prep., want to learn...) a place they can do those things. If just anyone were allowed to walk in what would be the point ?

If it is as bad as some people want to claim it is, don`t you think that sooner or later someone somewhere is gonna turn them in? It just isn`t happening. And if it is then the publics have only themselves to blame for letting it happen. It`s time that we put everyone back together and go to a merit based system and let the good times roll.

This is for TNSDeveloper:

This is the reason I brought up Ensworth. Not to say that Ensworth cheats, but to combat what Volunteergeneral said as to the reason why public schools can't keep their students. Wow, you are a genius. You have impressed me with your open-mindedness and unassuming nature (that's sarcasm).

But see Indian that is the reason for private schools. It isn't just athletics it is an enviroment where kids are given an opportunity to excell. I know many people who work extra jobs ( me included ) to send their kids to a place where education is the #1 goal. This also gives kids who want the things you mentioned ( higher ACT, college prep., want to learn...) a place they can do those things. If just anyone were allowed to walk in what would be the point ?

You're right, and I believe those difference spill out onto the playing fields and courts. The problem is, students can succeed and do great things out of public schools if they want (the local superintendent, county attorney, one of the new state leaders in the THP, tons of teachers, many other examples are local graduates) but too many don't want to put in the effort and that lowers overall results.

How do you think public school x could do in Hamilton County, if it attracted many of the top students from the city, county and area, tested them before enrollment and denied entrance to anyone not making high enough, dismissed any trouble makers, had virtually every parent supporting children and had a school full of students who actually wanted to be there and wanted to go to college following? How high would ACT/SAT scores jump? How close to 100 percent would be the number moving on to college, or would it hit 100 percent?

That's actually not a bad description of CSAS, although with only Hamilton County itself as the relevant region.

That's actually not a bad description of CSAS, although with only Hamilton County itself as the relevant region.

Maybe, but not all public schools can be like that. Where do the lesser students go if all in a city are magnets and they can't keep up, and what about counties with one high school.

Ensworth is a solid hour or more from McEwen. It is not the closest private school. The kids happened to be in eighth going to ninth when they somehow picked the two kids up.

First, the move from 8th to 9th is a logical time for a change of schools--since they'd be moving up from middle to high anyway. And if you can only afford one level of private schooling, the high school is more of what colleges will look at.

Second, what private school is closer to McEwen than Ensworth? Clarksville is a little farther from McEwen than Belle Meade is, and Columbia, Jackson, and Brentwood are all substantially farther. (Granted, there are two private schools in Belle Meade, but we can omit Harpeth Hall for purposes of this case.) :D

Maybe, but not all public schools can be like that. Where do the lesser students go if all in a city are magnets and they can't keep up, and what about counties with one high school.

I'm not arguing that all schools are in the same boat, but if you try to account for all the differences by splitting, then there are still inequities within the remaining set of schools, etc. It's not the answer.

How do you think public school x could do in Hamilton County, if it attracted many of the top students from the city, county and area, tested them before enrollment and denied entrance to anyone not making high enough, dismissed any trouble makers, had virtually every parent supporting children and had a school full of students who actually wanted to be there and wanted to go to college following? How high would ACT/SAT scores jump? How close to 100 percent would be the number moving on to college, or would it hit 100 percent? How would the numbers drop at an MBA, BA or McCallie if just anyone was allowed to walk into a classroom? Those are unanswerable, but so is the question on if the private schools are better when you're comparing apples and oranges when it comes to students.

This is done already. They are called Magnet Schools. Last I looked ... they performed very well in sports over the last few years too. :D

Why is it that it is only an apples to apples comparison when it comes to sports, but not when academics are involved? :D

Edited by tnsddeveloper

First, the move from 8th to 9th is a logical time for a change of schools--since they'd be moving up from middle to high anyway. And if you can only afford one level of private schooling, the high school is more of what colleges will look at.

Second, what private school is closer to McEwen than Ensworth? Clarksville is a little farther from McEwen than Belle Meade is, and Columbia, Jackson, and Brentwood are all substantially farther. (Granted, there are two private schools in Belle Meade, but we can omit Harpeth Hall for purposes of this case.) :D

Your right. Ensworth would be a natural choice of private schools. But, I was just combatting what Volunteergeneral said. He stated that it was public schools fault for not keeping their students. I was making a point not trying to debate whether Ensworth was a. a good school, b. cheating, c. recruiting. But, I agree I looked it up and Ensworth is the natural choice for a private school for a McEwen student.

This is for TNSDeveloper:

This is the reason I brought up Ensworth. Not to say that Ensworth cheats, but to combat what Volunteergeneral said as to the reason why public schools can't keep their students. Wow, you are a genius. You have impressed me with your open-mindedness and unassuming nature (that's sarcasm).

There are tons of posts on here from people claiming to know someone that "turned down" a private schools overtures. Just ask Bill, he knows all of them and 6 others from Texas that didn't (I promise I will stop picking at you one day Bill).

And yes, I enjoyed talking down to you. :D

My suggestion would be to try to find a better example of what you were trying to accomplish. It still isn't coming across very clearly. I'm willing to listen ... you just have to have a good argument.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

There are tons of posts on here from people claiming to know someone that "turned down" a private schools overtures. Just ask Bill, he knows all of them and 6 others from Texas (I promise I will stop picking at you one day Bill).

And yes, I enjoyed talking down to you. But it looks like my assumption of you being a child might have been right. :D

So you're admitting that you were wrong in your assumptions about my intentions. I could care less how you view me, but I just want you to know that you are admitting that you were incorrect in your assumptions about my earlier posts.

I thought you enjoyed talking down to me, so I don't mind. Please don't have a "tizzy" fit. Is that how you put it earlier?