BA vs. TSSAA Ruling In

itzme

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, as a matter of fact all students who have signed enrollment contracts get a package of information with all sorts of information about athletics, fine arts, forensics, and academic opportunities. Parents are paying a lot of money to send their kids to an independent school, and expectations for opportunities and communication about those opportunities is very high.

I don't believe there is a spring band practice.

There are no rules(that I have found) forbidding year round band practice. Only the weather keeps them from marching. :)

I don't believe there are dead periods forbidding college scouts from contacting Tuba players. B)

Edited by jimbo44

It's not like KY, where the biggest public schools have to compete every year against all-male private schools that are BIGGER than they are. I posted this before but I'm proud especially of MBA for playing (and beating) Louisville-Trinity, a private school with almost 3x the number of boys we have in 9-12. Imagine if other TN schools scheduled that way?

I know you will be checking my facts, Rollredroll, so I have double checked the enrollment #'s at MBA (665, 7-12) and Trinity (1400, 9-12).... :)

Sounds right to me on the enrollment numbers!

Good point about the size of the Kentucky privates. Kudos to Kentucky for keeping the publics and privates together - at least until this point, as I know there is groveling about the dominance of Trinity and St. X, so who knows what the future holds in KY.

i say call in the dogs and let the privates do what they want. publics just

don't play them.

Not very smart sharptop. So publics don't play privates and replace them on their schedule with a weaker opponent ... who does that help ? Not to mention the lost revenue that helps keep BOTH public and private athletics going. I know there are many instances out there but I only put personal knowledge on here. Trousdale County vs. Friendship... it doesn't matter where they play the crowd is standing room only... tell Clint or John they can't play each other any more and I assure you, you won't like the answer. The hatred for private schools is an age old hate ...

people assume EVERYONE that attends are rich, spoiled, silver tounge kids with stuck-up, snobby parents. I can assure you that's not the case every where. I know many parents who make great sacrifices to make sure their kids can attend schools in the private sector. My son only has gone to a private school for one year and after being there this year I would have sacrificed alot more for him to have attended at least his whole high school carrer. But your attittude is like most who don't know... let's just don't play them that 'll show them !!! If it is truly about the kids (which in my case it is ) I want my child to be the best at EVERYTHING they can not just sports and I feel we gave him a better opportunity academaclly as well as athletically by moving him out of an over crowded and outdated school into one where education still matters.

What does not playing the private school show anyone? Would it not be best for the public school to play the private schools a beat them? It's a proven fact that in football, mens basketball, and womens basketball the public schools have the best athletes based on the number of kids they have sign to play in college. So why and how do the private schools win. IMO, a team is only as good as their weakest link and the privates to a better job of getting their bottom 1/3 players to play at a level above what their athletic ability is. The bottom line is that the privates seem to use the old military theory of being a "TEAM" with everyone sticking together and all of the players & their parents buy into doing their job and being a roll player.

Edited by cbg

"It's a proven fact that in football, mens basketball, and womens basketball the public schools have the best athletes based on the number of kids they have sign to play in college. "

are you in politics?

that little bit of deceptive "information" has more lives than a cat.

actually, PER CAPITA, the privates have about a 3 to 1 advantage in kids signing to play in college.

certainly it feels better to ascribe success to doing a "better job",

but ya'lls coaches are like everyone elses...

the better the athletes on hand, the smarter the coach is.

What does not playing the private school show anyone? Would it not be best for the public school to play the private schools a beat them? It's a proven fact that in football, mens basketball, and womens basketball the public schools have the best athletes based on the number of kids they have sign to play in college. So why and how do the private schools win. IMO, a team is only as good as their weakest link and the privates to a better job of getting their bottom 1/3 players to play at a level above what their athletic ability is. The bottom line is that the privates seem to use the old military theory of being a "TEAM" with everyone sticking together and all of the players & their parents buy into doing their job and being a roll player.

I'm sure everyone on here realizes that with very few exceptions, most Tennessee public schools already aren't playing DII-AAA privates.

"It's a proven fact that in football, mens basketball, and womens basketball the public schools have the best athletes based on the number of kids they have sign to play in college. "

are you in politics?

that little bit of deceptive "information" has more lives than a cat.

actually, PER CAPITA, the privates have about a 3 to 1 advantage in kids signing to play in college.

certainly it feels better to ascribe success to doing a "better job",

but ya'lls coaches are like everyone elses...

the better the athletes on hand, the smarter the coach is.

Laz,

You have understand what you are reading. Many of the private school student/athletes are not getting athletic money to attend college. They receive academic money or their parents pay for them to attend small schools so that they can receive their undergraduate education and participate in athletics. Take a look at which athletes receive money from the athletic department and most them attend public schools.

"Take a look at which athletes receive money from the athletic department and most them attend public schools."

ummm, i was basing that on athletic scholarships... per capita.

of course most athletic scholarships go to public students (raw numbers).

more students go to public schools, by far.

but the average(mean) individual private school

will have a 3-1 advantage in athletic scholarship athletes

over a public school of the same size.

plenty of room to debate why,

but numbers say it is so.

"Take a look at which athletes receive money from the athletic department and most them attend public schools."

ummm, i was basing that on athletic scholarships... per capita.

of course most athletic scholarships go to public students (raw numbers).

more students go to public schools, by far.

but the average(mean) individual private school

will have a 3-1 advantage in athletic scholarship athletes

over a public school of the same size.

plenty of room to debate why,

but numbers say it is so.

The numbers say that "Jack or Jill" from X private school signed to play X sport at XYZ school. What they don't tell you is that the athlete will receive an academic scholarship or financial aid to attend the school and plans to participate in athletics or that the student will be a walkon. Examine how many of those private school student/athletes attend small D2, D3 or NAIA schools with many of them not offering any athletic scholarship money. Yes, some attend the big D1 schools in the SEC, ACC, Big 12, etc... but most are attending schools that are very small and the athletics are no better than some of the best 5A high school teams that compete for a state championship.