BA vs. TSSAA Ruling In

itzme

cbg

hard to respond, as i am having difficulty understanding what it is you are trying to say.

are you saying that athletic scholarships for private kids are somehow different than athletic scholarships fro public kids?

or are you trying to say that private kids go to a whole different set of colleges?

neither is true.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cbg

hard to respond, as i am having difficulty understanding what it is you are trying to say.

are you saying that athletic scholarships for private kids are somehow different than athletic scholarships fro public kids?

or are you trying to say that private kids go to a whole different set of colleges?

neither is true.

Laz,

It seems to me that what the poster is saying refers to "full rides." I think his/her point is that most NCAA Division I scholarships that include tuition, room and board and books go to public school kids. I guess that could be figured out, but it would take a case-by-case analysis. I have no idea if the proposition is correct or not.

I know that most of the "athletic scholarships" that are signed by high school students going to smaller colleges (NAIA, NCAA Division II or III) do not include a "full ride." Some only cover a small portion of the cost of attending said college/university. Many times academic scholarship money is earned to supplement the student-athlete attending the smaller college/university. Does that make any more sense?

Again, I'm not saying I agree with the proposition, but at least, that is what the poster seems to be saying.

Edited by supersteve17

cbg

neither is true.

Laz,

Look at the schools that many of the private school kids attend. Often times they are the small (2500 students or less) liberal arts private schools that do not offer any athletic scholarships. Yes, the students go to those schools and participate in athletics but many of them are no more than walkons. They pay for their education with academic scholarships (based on GPA & SAT) , financial aid, pell grants, or their parents pay the tuition. The male athletes that attend the big D1 schools only receive a full athletic grant if they participate in football and basketball. The "olympic sports" only have a few scholarships available so they divide them so that several athletes receive a little money but few if any receive a full ride.

To prove my point, go back 10 years and take a look at the top 15 football players, mens basketball players and womens basketball players in Tennessee and see if they attend a public or private school. I have not done this but it would be fun to see what the results were.

"Look at the schools that many of the private school kids attend. Often times they are the small (2500 students or less) liberal arts private schools that do not offer any athletic scholarships."

see, this is where you lose me.

is this a special set of schools which do not accept public school students?

because, to me, this describes the same schools that many of our public school students attend.

by the way, my oldest went to a public high school, and attended a small private college with less than 2500 students. (and played 4 years of ball)

my second went to a private high school (D-II) and attended MTSU (and played no ball).

go figure.

i have also looked at similar data (in the past) to that which you propose. top 50 football prospects (no basketball). privates win out (by population), and the 1 & 2a publics bring up the rear.

but please feel free to compile your own data.

discussing numbers is much more fun.

Laz,

Look at the schools that many of the private school kids attend. Often times they are the small (2500 students or less) liberal arts private schools that do not offer any athletic scholarships. Yes, the students go to those schools and participate in athletics but many of them are no more than walkons. They pay for their education with academic scholarships (based on GPA & SAT) , financial aid, pell grants, or their parents pay the tuition. The male athletes that attend the big D1 schools only receive a full athletic grant if they participate in football and basketball. The "olympic sports" only have a few scholarships available so they divide them so that several athletes receive a little money but few if any receive a full ride.

To prove my point, go back 10 years and take a look at the top 15 football players, mens basketball players and womens basketball players in Tennessee and see if they attend a public or private school. I have not done this but it would be fun to see what the results were.

What difference does it make? The whole point is to go to college and get a top quality education, right? If we are talking numbers lets see how many of the private school kids go to small colleges and graduate, compared to the public school kids who go to big colleges and don't graduate. When it comes to college it doesn't matter where you go but what you learn and do while there is important.

What difference does it make? The whole point is to go to college and get a top quality education, right? If we are talking numbers lets see how many of the private school kids go to small colleges and graduate, compared to the public school kids who go to big colleges and don't graduate. When it comes to college it doesn't matter where you go but what you learn and do while there is important.

I`m sorry, but I missed your point Doc. I know there was one in there somewhere though. Would you mind elaborating?

"Look at the schools that many of the private school kids attend. Often times they are the small (2500 students or less) liberal arts private schools that do not offer any athletic scholarships."

see, this is where you lose me.

is this a special set of schools which do not accept public school students?

because, to me, this describes the same schools that many of our public school students attend.

by the way, my oldest went to a public high school, and attended a small private college with less than 2500 students. (and played 4 years of ball)

my second went to a private high school (D-II) and attended MTSU (and played no ball).

go figure.

WOW laz now you really have me confused...you have a child who went to a private school ? Was it a bad experience since you seem to really dislike the privates now ?

that little bit of deceptive "information" has more lives than a cat.

actually, PER CAPITA, the privates have about a 3 to 1 advantage in kids signing to play in college.

certainly it feels better to ascribe success to doing a "better job",

but ya'lls coaches are like everyone elses...

the better the athletes on hand, the smarter the coach is.

I don't know this is one ( of several examples ) "ya'lls coaches " and most of your

"statistics" and info seem a little slanted to the public view point.

"ya'lls coaches are like everyone elses...

the better the athletes on hand, the smarter the coach is."

i didnt realize what a ringing indictment it was,

to compare "ya'lls coaches" to everyone else

(which would include me)

"most of your

"statistics" and info seem a little slanted to the public view point."

if you will look back,

you will find i do very little analysis.

i just present simple tallies of data.

once i have a data set,

i have willingly looked at it any way requested.

but the numbers are what they are.