Thad Young or Brandan Wright

War Eagles

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen them both play down through the years. Of course I have seen Thad a lot more. They have diffrent styles. Thad will no doubt be a 3 in college and hopefully the NBA. Wright is a four and will be one at both levels. Thad is more athletic while Wright has better fundamentals. It is a close call and depending on what position you are looking for. Thad has better handles and is a better scorer while Brandon is the better rebounder and defender. It is too close to call at this level. Our state is truly blessed to have these players apart of our athletic programs.

I have seen both play a lot of times and i will have 2 go with wright.I know young is a great athlete and one day will make it pro,but there is no way he would have been a 1st round pick after what i saw in the state tournament.He was just an avg.player in the tournament.The best player was probably barry stewart in the whole tournament.I can name 15guys off the top of my head who had a better tournament than him.I can honestly say that coachn had a lot to do with it,but if im rankd so high and is a mcdonalds high school all american and is the tallest player on the court,there is no way in the state cship game that im going to score 1 pt the whole 2nd half.Both have work to do and both will have great careers at their colleges.

First of all, to the guy who said that Thad wouldn't be a first round pick because of what he saw in the State Tourney is in la-la land. The NBA scouts dont care about that. His potential and skills are amazing. He would have been drafted in the first round, and prob decently high. Alright, since everyone else has an anti-Mitchell bias I am going to go with Thad. For this reason. Thad is a more complete player. He can play any position on the floor PG thru C. And, that doesn't mean he can just "play" every position. He can be "successful" at every position. I think the biggest difference in their performances in big games is coaching. When Thad gets better coaching he will be put in better position to be successful on the floor. Better offenses that utilize his strenghts. Take advantage of the mismatch presented by the defense. Pull posts out and take them off the dribble. Take guards to the block and score down low. These are things that made a difference and I don't think he got any of this from the Mitchell coach. You could tell watching BA play that Wright had been coached very well and knew exactly what was expected to be successful. He stayed in his element and his teammates looked for him every trip down the floor. The same cannot be said for Thad, he had other talented players on his team that wanted to take the spotlight away from Thad at times. Shameful. Both are great players. Barring injury both will play in the NBA. And, both have the opportunity to be very successful.

First of all, to the guy who said that Thad wouldn't be a first round pick because of what he saw in the State Tourney is in la-la land. The NBA scouts dont care about that. His potential and skills are amazing. He would have been drafted in the first round, and prob decently high. Alright, since everyone else has an anti-Mitchell bias I am going to go with Thad. For this reason. Thad is a more complete player. He can play any position on the floor PG thru C. And, that doesn't mean he can just "play" every position. He can be "successful" at every position. I think the biggest difference in their performances in big games is coaching. When Thad gets better coaching he will be put in better position to be successful on the floor. Better offenses that utilize his strenghts. Take advantage of the mismatch presented by the defense. Pull posts out and take them off the dribble. Take guards to the block and score down low. These are things that made a difference and I don't think he got any of this from the Mitchell coach. You could tell watching BA play that Wright had been coached very well and knew exactly what was expected to be successful. He stayed in his element and his teammates looked for him every trip down the floor. The same cannot be said for Thad, he had other talented players on his team that wanted to take the spotlight away from Thad at times. Shameful. Both are great players. Barring injury both will play in the NBA. And, both have the opportunity to be very successful.

True the NBA drafts on potential not ability. But we're tallking about highschool here not the NBA. Brandon Wright took home the gold ball and not the silver, he had a better overall team record for the season, he played a tough schedule, he didn't vanish in the second half of the championship game. Thad is an increadible talent that will play pro ball. But at this point Brandon Wright would have been my choice. We aren't talking about the future we are talking right now. Thad may have more of an upside and potential but what is potential other than unreached ability? I'll take Brandon Wright and the gold ball at this point.

P.S. I'm still in shock Thad Young wasn't Mr. Basketball!!!

Edited by jmpshtr101

True the NBA drafts on potential not ability. But we're tallking about highschool here not the NBA. Brandon Wright took home the gold ball and not the silver, he had a better overall team record for the season, he played a tough schedule, he didn't vanish in the second half of the championship game. Thad is an increadible talent that will play pro ball. But at this point Brandon Wright would have been my choice. We aren't talking about the future we are talking right now. Thad may have more of an upside and potential but what is potential other than unreached ability? I'll take Brandon Wright and the gold ball at this point.

P.S. I'm still in shock Thad Young wasn't Mr. Basketball!!!

The "gold ball" argument doesn't carry much weight for a couple of reasons. First, BA plays in D-II. Even with the team chemisty problems Mitchell had this season they still would have blown through the D-II State Tourney. Second, A LOT has to do with team make-up. If you replaced Wright with Young on BA's team they would have won just as many games. Conversely, I do not think Wright would have done any better with the Mitchell team than Thad did. There were too many things working against Thad that he had no control over. I never said I picked Thad because he was only "potentially" better. I said he is better right now. If we are looking at right now and not "potential" then I guess the stats they averaged this year would be a good indication don't you think? Well, Thad's were better. His all-around stats were slightly better than Wrights. Does that not count for anything?