An Oldie But Goodie: Stupid Announcer Tricks in McMinnville

DelTavian

I'm quite sure my face went through many forms. It would have been funny on hidden camera. But I'm sure there would have been many bleeps if there had been sound with the video.

Del (who's going fishing and will check "The thread that won't die" later tonight.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we work to revive this thread, how about some positive PA talk? There may be some AWFUL PA announcers around (at least at 1 school), but who are some of the really good ones you've heard? It doesn't matter what sport it is...who are the best PA announcers around? I enjoy listening to the guy who does BGA baseball games...he is exceptional. Any other opinions??

The guy in South Pittsburg that does football has a great voice. If you're out in the stands I don't think anybody sounds better.

However if you're in the booth with him you might need ear plugs for when he's not going over the PA. He beats on the counter and yells Go! Go! Go!. Inside the booth it rattles your head.

But outside the booth he's great on the PA. And he's a real nice guy as well.

Del.

Carl "Squat" Crisp does the PA at Grundy. His brother Haskell "Bright Eyes" Crisp raised the flag and didn't miss a game for several years.

In 2000 the field was named for them. I had the honor of writing the halftime dedication program and announcing it.

From that program.......

"Tonight the Grundy County Board of Education honors the lifelong commitment to the Yellow Jacket athletic program made by two brothers, which is second to none.

Mr. Carl “Squat” Crisp attended Grundy County High School in the early 1940’s until WWII interrupted his high school career. Once home from the war Squat began his lifetime commitment to GCHS athletics.

Over the years Squat has done it all. He has fixed scoreboards, hauled players to and from games in the days before the teams used buses, and carried the band’s equipment.

He’s been an active Booster Club member, donated funds, and worked on various facilities improvement projects year in and year out. Most recently he has helped in the construction and completion of the new field house you see in the southwest corner of the field.

In the 1950’s Squat took over for L. H. Kilby as the voice of Yellow Jacket Football. And with the exception of two years he has been the voice of Yellow Jackets Football ever since.

Squat has also been the voice of Yellow Jacket baseball for the past eight years and has run the clock for GCHS Basketball for the last seven years.

Elder Brother, Mr. Haskell “Bright Eyes” Crisp began his involvement with Yellow Jackets athletics as a member of the GCHS football team from 1931 – 1933. Although, Bright Eyes is the first to admit that he never saw any playing time.

Once out of school Bright Eyes began his real contributions to GCHS athletics. Over the years he has mowed the football field, drug the baseball field, fixed the lights and scoreboards and operated the sideline clock. He has also ran the clock for JV, North and South Grundy games, and was a referee for JV and little league games until one night his shoulder was separated during a game.

Bright Eyes has made more contributions that are nothing short of amazing. He ran the clock for GCHS Basketball for 30 years and was a member of the Chain Gang for 20 years. He along with Mr. Willy H. Geary raised the flag before GCHS football games for over 40 years.

And even though he had previously relinquished his flag raising duty, Bright Eyes in 1997 raised the flag for the final GCHS football game played on John A. Anderson field. He also holds the distinction of raising the flag for the first GCHS football game played on this field in 1998.

While all of these contributions are significant, none can compare to the fact that over a period of 34 years Bright Eyes didn’t miss one GCHS football game, home or away. Ultimately, only one thing could come between him and his love of Yellow Jacket football and that was his love for his Grandson. Bright Eyes broke his football game attendance streak in the early 1980’s to follow his grandson Kelly Foutch’s motorcross career, while Kelly became one of the best in the Nation and a National Champion.

Between Squat and Bright Eyes, they have contributed over 100 years of service to GCHS athletics. They have given unselfishly of themselves and without want of recognition or reward. Their dedication is even more amazing when you consider that there was little family involvement for either in the athletic programs, which is usually the reason people volunteer.

For Bright Eyes only a daughter, Faye, played basketball while she attended GCHS. For Squat only in recent years has his stepchildren and step-grandchildren been a part of GCHS athletics. Squat’s granddaughter Kasey Woodlee was a part of the 1998 Lady Jacket State Champion Basketball team.

So you see theirs’ truly has been and continues to be an unselfish commitment to our community and particularly to the youth of Grundy County.

So on this night, Friday, September 8, 2000, the Grundy County Board of Education does hereby dedicate the football field at Grundy County High School, Crisp field, in honor of brothers Carl “Squat” Crisp and Haskell “Bright Eyes’ Crisp."

We lost Bright Eyes a few months after that dedication. Squat is still going strong and helping anywhere he can. There's not been two finer guys ever on this mountain.

Del.

[Edited by DelTavian on 5/15/02 9:06P]

I kinda hoped it might be a story just like that. Thanks Del.

Fan(who is in big trouble with the Queen...but it was Twan who made me do it...as you can tell...he is the eater in our bunch. But really all I want is a QueenBee burger...like I said before..they are better than Wendys!!!)

Let's see...

1. I'd probably be of the mind set to smack the announcers at Boyd...

2. We have got to get Howard on our schedule...

3. fanman is bad...

4. Daddy PuffTwan is going to be awfully skinny walking to Grundy County for the BEST concessions during the SCHS football games...

5. When Grundy Co. comes to SCHS, Del is going to be making homemade egg rolls...

And the most disappointing thing of all...that fanman obviously watches Martha Stewart at work...he quotes her so nicely!...

So now this thread is educational? Cool! I almost thought I did all this typing for nothing.

As for the eggrolls they're not that hard to do. But they're better than frozen by far. You'll just have to come to the Mountain on Labor Day weekend. That's my army reunion and I cook them like crazy on Friday and have a fish fry on Sunday. In 2000 I made almost 300 eggrolls. I had 9 soldiers here, 2 wives and 4 kids...and that didn't count mine so the eggrolls were gone early Saturday.

Del (who knows that Martha Stewart or any of the rest of those TV cooks can't hold my tongs when it comes to eggrolls or fish frys.)