An Oldie But Goodie: Stupid Announcer Tricks in McMinnville

DelTavian

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

abeb1999,

That's good to hear. I knew it was against protocol and thought it was against the rules.

My whole gripe that seems to have been lost in all this is that his actions were distracting. All players need to be able to concentrate. Not so they can get scholarships or become pros, but so they can protect themselves. No player needs to have their head turned due to an announcer "having fun" and get blasted with the ball. People could get hurt.

I'm glad the TSSAA stepped in. I never got around to emailing them but I'm glad someone dealt with it.

Del.

Was the Howard game on the road? If it was, I understand what you mean about stories from the game (and this has nothing to do with where Howard is located or the racial make-up of their team/school). I don't think I'll ever forget the reaction of Howard's leadoff batter on Swafford's first pitch in the game last week. Just use your imagination. But at least Howard has a team, and they looked like they had lots of fun even though most of their games could literally be 100-0.

Howard's track team did jumping jacks on the track, following the count of the girls after seeing Seq's girls doing them in warm-ups...pitch went way over the backstop and the second baseman hollered to the pitcher that Jesus would catch it, little kid sitting in the dugout yelled-loudly-the entire game (3 innings) he'd come in and pitch for Howard's girls, leadoff batter screamed like she'd seen Freddy Krueger on Swafford's first pitch, so much more..but again they looked like they were having lots of fun out there and that's what counts especially when they're in a no-chance of winning ballgame.

[Edited by Indian on 4/24/02 9:18P]

Grundy County is always concerned about safety theFlash. As a matter of fact our coach tried to get her to get up after the Howard coach asked him to. The Howard coach said the girl wouldn't listen to her.

So our coach said something to the effect of...

"Hon, will you please get up. I'd hate for you to get hit and get hurt. Please get up. I don't want to have to drive you to the hospital."

And the shortstop replied with something to the effect of...

"Coach, we've got to throw strikes for them to hit the ball. I'm not getting up til we throw a strike."

She sat there while around 7 batters were walked.

I laughed til I almost cried when the coach told me.

He also said the Howard coach told him early that morning when he called to see where the game was being played..."You need to hurry up and get over here, get this game over with and get out of here before dark. You don't want to be here after dark."

Truly funny stuff.

Del.

the reason i have been agreeing with del all along is mainly because i think that talkative anouncers are just annoying. also, dels remarks have all made since and have been hilarious at the same time. and, it is you guys that keep calling him a cry baby that are keeping this thread going for so long. besides, i like coming to this thread, it is funny!