An Oldie But Goodie: Stupid Announcer Tricks in McMinnville

DelTavian

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To theflash YES, I'm talking about the Grundy Co. Herald. Which Tater do you think I am? By the way, is their any people out there that would agree or disagree with this statement," If your 15 yrs. old and know anything about baseball, you would be playing baseball at the high school level, not trying to unpire an 11 & 12 yr. baseball game". Besides its a whole lot different playing the game and actually putting on a unpires uniform and calling the game. Did these young kids have any classes before suiting up to call a game??

[Edited by THEDOC on 4/26/02 9:09P]

[Edited by THEDOC on 4/26/02 9:11P]

When the pay is only $12 a game I don't think you're going to get Binns Jordan to stand behind the plate at a little league game. What about it Binns? You want to get screamed at over every call for that kind of moolah???

But, maybe you're right. Maybe little league is life and death. Maybe it's as important as the security status of the Pentagon. Maybe every kid on that team is a probable major leaguer and one wrong call could scar them for life and ruin their major league chances.

And maybe I'm Harry Truman.

I do however completely agree with one thought of yours and had the same conversation with several fellows today. The young individuals starting out umping should be sent to a class. Probably everyone should go to a class before the season starts for a refresher. The TSSAA umps do that and the little leagues should follow the example if they want consistant jobs being done.

But there's still no excuse for going of like a cluster bomb in a room full of claymore mines because you don't agree with a call or calls in a LITTLE LEAGUE GAME. How do we expect the kids to act right if the grownups don't?

Del (who get's confused more and more by people who think little league is a matter of life and death.)

[Edited by DelTavian on 4/26/02 11:45P]

I have umpired little league games before, but not on a regular basis. In little league, kids are learning the game and so are most umpires. In a perfect world, umpires would get more training, but most umpires work or they are young men who are trying to make a little money. Major league umps miss calls just like little league umps do, but give them credit for trying. Its a tough job. You're not gonna get experienced umpires for the most part at the little league level. If anyone out there gets mad at the umps in little league and they think they can do better, then they need to buy some umpire gear and do it themselves.

This is a HILARIOUS thread!! I've enjoyed it for what, almost 3 weeks now?? It was worth every minute. Here are my 2 cents:

Announcing is not essential in high school sports, obviously. It is a bonus. And when that "bonus" is taken advantage of by the announcers, it should be taken away. The fans don't NEED to hear announcers for the game to go on -- it is a convenience. But when that convenience obstructs the players' ability and the fans PEACE OF MIND (!!!) then it is no longer a convenience. So Boyd Christian fellows, while you probably mean no harm and have a great time announcing what you see (and hear, feel, think, smell, taste.....), you are messing up the players and fans you are supposed to be serving.

As an aspiring announcer, I love what I do and want to do it well. Only people with similar desires should be allowed to step in front of a microphone and have their words amplified in front of dozens of people. Common sense tells us that. So Boyd, get somebody who cares!! Then EVERYBODY will have a fun day at the ball field, not JUST the announcers!!