Make that 9-6.

I'm not that worried. Outside of the Cubs series, the Cards have followed the LaRussa blueprint to a T, winning 2 out of every three and a sweep. They are a couple of bullpen meltdowns and a amazing grab by Carlos Lee from being 12-3 right now......and they aren't playing well. Play .667 or better ball against the weaker teams and play around .500 against the tougher teams, and we'll be fine again.

Right now my biggest worries are Suppan and the bullpen. Supp's been roughed up three times now, and I honestly think Izzy is hurt. Now the question becomes, will ownership lay out cash to acquire a mid-season trade.

And think about this too. If the Cards go 9-6 every 15 games, they will be sitting there going into the third week of September with a 90-60 record. You mean to tell me that won't have them sitting pretty? They'll be just fine.

90-60 would have them right in the running with the Astros? But the Stros will eventually win the division!! :thumb:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90-60 would have them right in the running with the Astros? But the Stros will eventually win the division!! :thumb:

Well, in that case the NL Central will have 2, maybe 3 teams at roughly 90 wins, and I don't see that happening. For now, the Cubs look like they are going to hang around a bit, and although the Brewers and Reds aren't in contention to win, but both have significantly upgraded their roster and will cause problems.

I don't see anybody winning the division by more than 5 games, and it's going to be a much tougher division from 1-5 (Pirates are still awful overall) than in years past. Between the top 3, it's really going to come down to who adds what in June or July, and whether or not Clemens resigns after May 1 with Houston. My personal thoughts are that he doesn't want to pitch at all before mid-May to early June because he knows his body can't hold up now and he started to fade a lot at the end of last season. He's a big X factor.

I'll put Carp and Mulder against anybody's 1-2 punch, and even Marquis has looked solid through 3 starts. Ponson has been what I expected through his first two starts, but Supp needs to step it up, or we may be looking somewhere for a 5th starter by season's end. Personally, I think he'll get it together.

It'll be a fun season. And I'll give you boys a personal review of the new ballpark early next week. :thumb:

Well, in that case the NL Central will have 2, maybe 3 teams at roughly 90 wins, and I don't see that happening. For now, the Cubs look like they are going to hang around a bit, and although the Brewers and Reds aren't in contention to win, but both have significantly upgraded their roster and will cause problems.

I don't see anybody winning the division by more than 5 games, and it's going to be a much tougher division from 1-5 (Pirates are still awful overall) than in years past. Between the top 3, it's really going to come down to who adds what in June or July, and whether or not Clemens resigns after May 1 with Houston. My personal thoughts are that he doesn't want to pitch at all before mid-May to early June because he knows his body can't hold up now and he started to fade a lot at the end of last season. He's a big X factor.

I'll put Carp and Mulder against anybody's 1-2 punch, and even Marquis has looked solid through 3 starts. Ponson has been what I expected through his first two starts, but Supp needs to step it up, or we may be looking somewhere for a 5th starter by season's end. Personally, I think he'll get it together.

It'll be a fun season. And I'll give you boys a personal review of the new ballpark early next week. :thumb:

The Central has improved by leaps and bounds! I dont have nothing against the Cards, its just that I think the Stros will get it together and make a run at the division title! Oswalt is pitching as good as anyone right now, Pettite has struggled, but he will come around and win 15 games, and Rodriguez is pitching great right now and is showing no signs of slowing down and with Ensberg and Berkman looking like they may have career years and some of the other sticks they have, I just look for them to take the central this year!

I think when the season nears the end, this could be the race to be watching!

And in today's news, Albert Pujols had another game winning RBI, found a cure for cancer, created a new cheap fuel alternative, and then solved all middle-east tensions paving the way for a 100 year peace truce. ;)

14-7, and the the bats not belonging to Mr. Pujols are just starting to come alive.

And in today's news, Albert Pujols had another game winning RBI, found a cure for cancer, created a new cheap fuel alternative, and then solved all middle-east tensions paving the way for a 100 year peace truce. :D

14-7, and the the bats not belonging to Mr. Pujols are just starting to come alive.

In 3rd place in the division! :D:D

I hope Cardinal fans realize they won't be able to cruise to the title this year. Tha Astros and Cubs will be around all year. The Cubs are without Lee, Prior, and Wood and are still winning games. If the Astros get back Clemens, watch out this could be a long summer for the Cardinals.

But Albert is the best hitter in baseball.

I hope Cardinal fans realize they won't be able to cruise to the title this year. Tha Astros and Cubs will be around all year. The Cubs are without Lee, Prior, and Wood and are still winning games. If the Astros get back Clemens, watch out this could be a long summer for the Cardinals.

But Albert is the best hitter in baseball.

Boy, you don't read threads at all do you? I think that has been stated a couple of times at least.

The Cubs are 3-3 since Lee went down. In the same span, the Cards are 5-1 and have picked up two games on them. The issue with the Cubs will be can they stay within striking range of the other two once they get Wood, Prior, and Lee all on the field at the same time? The next issue is can Prior and Wood remin healthy the rest of the season?

The Cards haven't had a gauntlet to their schedule by any means, but if there is one team that has had an easier road than the Cards, it has been the Stros. But, they will probably get Clemens back around the first of June if I was guessing. The NL Central and Wild Card will once again go to these two teams.

Lets not forget about the Reds who are sitting there tied with the Cards in 2nd place now! They have won 8 of 10 and 4 straight and lead the NL in runs scored by 13! Dont want to let them hang around to long with those sticks!!! :)

Yeah, I know, but I just don't see them sticking around the entire season. I see them fading in the 2nd half.

You got to remember, standings don't matter until Monday anyway.

The Cardinals outside of Pujols, Eckstein and pretty good SP are a mess right now and they are within a half game of having the best record in baseball. Edmonds scuffling, Rolen sick, the pen especially Izzy shaky. They'll notch another 95-100 wins and win central, just hoping more than believing they can carry on from there and win it all.